BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2014 3:11:54 PM EDT
I'll have some pictures up here shortly.

Anyway, Lancer is bringing a 516 and a 716 replacement forend to market. These are both on display at SHOT and will be shipping soon.

The forends will be direct replacement for the factory SIG rail and are made of carbon fiber for weight reduction and to reduce heat transfer.

The short rail is really the only thing lacking on the SIG, as shipped, in my opinion and I'm happy to see someone bringing an aftermarket forend to market.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!!   Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, would love to see how it adapts to the proprietary key hole atop the rail where it meets the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking handguard but I wonder why they didn't extend the rail over the gas block?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, would love to see how it adapts to the proprietary key hole atop the rail where it meets the upper receiver?
View Quote

The Lancer has a tonque that extends into the cut on the upper just like the factory SIG forend.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
That's great. I was debating selling my Gen 1 516 to get a mid length rifle. But now I think I will hang on to it :).  I love the SiG and OP is correct a middy is the only thing to be desired on the 516. Anyone know release date? I checked their website and prices are not terrible for the CF rails. Also anyone with some experience with their rails I would love to hear about the quality.
 Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's another view of the 516 rail. Note that this is with suppressor attached so the forend would totally engulf the muzzle with the can removed.

Anyway, I like that there's plenty of room to access the gas regulator with the Lancer in place.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Take my money!

I have the 10" SIG 516 and I should get my suppressor by this summer. So, you're saying this carbon fiber handguard will pretty much cover my 6.7" Silencerco Saker and the heat produced won't melt it? Will the handguard clear the bayonet lug on the bottom of the gas block?

Know the price and when it's going to be available?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome. Just what I need.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
SIG has the 516 and 400 on display at the booth with the Lancer forend.

It appears to me that the new forend isn't going to fit without chopping the bayonet lug off. No biggie, I wouldn't think.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for sharing about the Lancer rails, as an owner of the Sig516 and 716 i would love to see some more rail options out there. i agree that's really the only thing i don't like about the rifles, is how short the rails are
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you get one not made of carbon fiber?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
There is already a 516 Carbon on gunbroker -- for $2300.  Seems like a big ticket to get a new hand guard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#16]
All current SIG516 rifles in the hands of owners have the bayonet lug (unless someone cut it off of course), so I would be VERY surprised if Lancer made it incompatible as it would severely limit sales IF they plan to sell it as an aftermarket accessory.

Have you guys seen the new rail that comes on the regular SIG516 Patrol that's new on the Sig website? It's aluminum and comes factory from Sig. It now covers the gas block. I really hope this becomes available as an accessory as well.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Outstanding!
Thanks for the report.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got off the phone with Lancer about three days ago...$250-300...one month and its ready to selling
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to know what the expected Weight Savings is for each the 516 & 716 before I get too excited about these. After all, they appear to be longer than the factory Sig rails
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd like to know what the expected Weight Savings is for each the 516 & 716 before I get too excited about these. After all, they appear to be longer than the factory Sig rails
View Quote

Using SIG's own website as a guide, it looks like the 516 Patrol weighs 7.3 pounds while the 516 Carbon TS weighs 7.1 pounds.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#21]
wow great report bro will be interested to see all of the measurements and what other guns this will fit.  I have always been let down by the piston fore end offerings.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a SIG 716 3 Gun, and the rail I believe is longer than the 716 Patrol,  I think. Anyway, I'd love to lose some weight off the damn thing...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
What the Sig 516/716 needs is a lightened gas block similar to the one below in combination with the carbon fiber handguard. This would offer SIGNIFICANT weight reduction. I believe Sig stopped milling the gas block like the one pictured to purely cut costs as it's an added extra step in the manufacturing process. I would also mill off the bayonet lug.

The gas block is press fitted to the barrel and is quite difficult to remove. I wish I could send my upper off to the Sig Custom Shop and pay for them to do this as this is beyond my skill set.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually...they changed to a two pin gas block...the milled through is a single

I'll take some extra ounces in the gas block
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually...they changed to a two pin gas block...the milled through is a single

I'll take some extra ounces in the gas block
View Quote

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I have two. That picture I posted is a gas block from a Gen 1 SIG 516. I was just using it as an example of what I wish Sig would mill on the current Gen 2 two pin gas block.

Here's the gas block on my Gen 2. You can see there are some shallow milled-out areas. I'm sure it wouldn't be that much more effort to remove those areas completely to lighten it up a bit.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#26]
10-4 got ya...I have a Gen1...but the later version...right before switching to Gen2
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone else have any pics from Shot Shot on this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I spoke to Nathan at Lancer this afternoon about these and he told me they've got the first production run ready with another run being made in the very near future.  These aren't on the Lancer website yet but should be posted there shortly.  

Currently, Lancer is making two lengths for the 516.  One is the extended length that will cover the gas block on the 14.5" and 16" models.  There's also a standard length that is the one I photographed at SHOT on the SBR with the can attached.  Nathan recommended the extended length for my standard carbine length gun.  Nathan also told me there should be no issues with these fitting over the gas blocks with the bayonet lug, thank goodness.

The forend will hopefully arrive early or middle of next week.  You know pictures will be posted as soon as I've got it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I spoke to Nathan at Lancer this afternoon about these and he told me they've got the first production run ready with another run being made in the very near future.  These aren't on the Lancer website yet but should be posted there shortly.  

Currently, Lancer is making two lengths for the 516.  One is the extended length that will cover the gas block on the 14.5" and 16" models.  There's also a standard length that is the one I photographed at SHOT on the SBR with the can attached.  Nathan recommended the extended length for my standard carbine length gun.  Nathan also told me there should be no issues with these fitting over the gas blocks with the bayonet lug, thank goodness.

The forend will hopefully arrive early or middle of next week.  You know pictures will be posted as soon as I've got it.
View Quote

About the two different lengths...

Are you saying there is one length that just barely covers the gas block and doesn't go any further and another length that extends way beyond the gas block? Kinda confused.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
PERFECT NEWS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the post!  And thank you Lancer!
My 716 has been begging for some length, not to mention a little diet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#32]
The new forend arrived today. It took about five minutes to install and is literally nothing more than removing the factory rail and replacing it with the Lancer. The Lancer comes with its own screws but the two screws that attach the bottom clamp are re-used as is the clamp and key from the original forend.

The Lancer, with no screws or other mounting parts, is one ounce heavier than the SIG part and weighs 10.2 ounces. The factory rail without attaching parts weighs 9.2 ounces.

The forend has a top rail that is the same length as the factory rail and there is no provision for mounting a short piece of rail along the top in front of the gas block. I suppose if someone wanted to, the forend could be drilled and a short section could be screwed on. Maybe one of the little sections of Magpul MOE rail could be affixed but I'll let someone else worry about that.

Negatives so far is only one.  The gas piston is not removable without taking the carbon fiber section off the handguard. This is probably going to be a big deal to some users. Another small point, adding only an academic improvement, would be to number the slots on the new section of top rail.

Anyway, there you have it. Let me know what questions you have. I'll try to get some better photos tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks good Melvin.  I saw it on a Sig 716 in PA this weekend and it is a very nice piece.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, it's heavier and you have to remove it to clean piston. Hmmm, sounds like Lancer missed the mark here! I will NOT be adding one of these to my 716
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
It's not like its TWICE as long as the factory :)....oh wait it is...1 oz more to gain 5" of usable hand area is LIGHT
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's not like its TWICE as long as the factory :)....oh wait it is...1 oz more to gain 5" of usable hand area is LIGHT
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I WANT MORE PICS NOw...hahaha
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 2:35:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I WANT MORE PICS NOw...hahaha
View Quote

I'll try to get some detailed photos this afternoon after work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#39]
How much was it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah and you're paying money and losing 3 rails at the same time, no thanks, I will take the rail space and 1 ounce less weight
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Man...how many rails do you need?...seriously...how many? Get real.

All you need is add a bottom rail piece for a VFG if you need one....the top rail is GTG for an A/PEQ or an offset light mount.

There is no reason for side rails anymore
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#42]
i'll give the 1 once for the extra length any day
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]
MJ,

Any news on whether Lancer may produce a variant for LWRC?  Specifically the M6A2?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MJ,

Any news on whether Lancer may produce a variant for LWRC?  Specifically the M6A2?
View Quote

Good question.

I don't know if Lancer took it upon themselves to produce the new stuff for SIG or if SIG approached them with the idea.  I kind of think it might be the latter since SIG is also using the new handguard on rifles as a factory option.

I think there's really sort of an untapped market here with the new forends for piston guns.  LWRC and Ruger owners would be interested in some options I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks really nice! I also have a Sig516, but with the four rail handguard. I called Sig Sauer yesterday and asked when will the new aluminum and carbon be available from Sig, he stated mid summer. Personally I like the new aluminum handguard that comes std now, but the C.F looks great as well. If I may ask, did you purchase yours direct from Lancer, and how much green did it cost?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 2 gen 1 sig 516's. One has a black coating on the gas block. The other one is smooth and anodized which is ugly and shinny. they are a few serial numbers away in production (quality control?). So covering it would be ideal but I wish they added a rail further up so I could use a lighter front sight that wouldnt melt and increase sight distance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks really nice! I also have a Sig516, but with the four rail handguard. I called Sig Sauer yesterday and asked when will the new aluminum and carbon be available from Sig, he stated mid summer. Personally I like the new aluminum handguard that comes std now, but the C.F looks great as well. If I may ask, did you purchase yours direct from Lancer, and how much green did it cost?
View Quote

Did Sig say if they are going to sell the new aluminum handguards separately?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Right and left sides of the complete rifle:

The Lancer marking.  Note the built-in QD sling point:

Some general photos of the carbon fiber forend.  Note that it does completely clear the bayonet lug.  Plenty of ventilation so the forend should stay nice and cool.  

Fitment of the forend to the rifle.  Note the use of the original mounting method:

The new top rail lines up nicely with the gas block:

As mentioned, the gas piston cannot be removed with the new forend on the upper:

The forend is held to the aluminum mounting block with six small allen screws:

The carbon fiber section removed:

The new aluminum top rail and mounting point for the handguard:

Note the longitudinal grooves along the top rail.  The forend slides into these grooves:

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I like it but would rather have one that covers the gas block and stops right there.  I have no need for the extended tube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Handguard looks great.  Pics of all angles and how it was designed was a really big help.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top