BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Listed weight is 8.6 pounds.  Not too shabby, especially for a piston.  List price is $2195.  I hope that means street price is $1600-$1700.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty cool
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one on order.  I'll post pics and a range report as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Will look forward to hearing your reaction. Looks good and tempting.....wonder what the going rate on them will be once they have been out awhile.....$1700 maybe?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I want 4.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice will buy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I wondered what took them so long?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I can wait to get my hands on one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool they went the angled route lower route.  Hopefully uppers and lowers will be compatible with 308s by Knights, Mega MaTen, LMT MWS, and new pattern Armalite.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good!    Nice work Ruger!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's our first test into the "street value" of the new gun.  Also, there are some nice pictures with the auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=371522044
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I am glad Ruger has delivered a .308 AR. However, a $2195 list may only have a street price of $1995.
That price is close to the Scar 17 and much higher than other quality AR10s. To me the piston does not justify such a high price.
A $1800 list with a $1600 street would be better.

Also, I do not think they can say it is light when it is 8.6 pounds.
Even with it being a gas piston rifle that is too close to other heavy AR10s and a pound heavier than the S&W 308.
Just sayin
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, I do not think they can say it is light when it is 8.6 pounds.
Even with it being a gas piston rifle that is too close to other heavy AR10s and a pound heavier than the S&W 308.
Just sayin
View Quote

The M&P-10 has a published weight of 7.71 pounds.  While it's true that this is nearly a pound lighter than the new Ruger, the S&W comes with a plastic hadnguard.  Also, the Smith doesn't come with a set of BUIS.  The sights aren't heavy but they do add a tiny bit to the listed weight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweet
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Very cool.  Another cool rifle I have no money for.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My new SR-762 has arrived.  I picked it up this morning.  I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I'll try to change that this weekend.

Without further delay, here are some photos:

The rifle more or less as shipped.  I swapped out the Ruger flash hider for an AAC 51T so I can mount my 762-SDN-6.  I also ditched the Hogue pistol grip and replaced it with a plain old A2 grip.  

The Ruger with my suppressor in place.

A view of the bolt carrier through the ejection port.  

The bolt carrier group and charging handle.  This is another change.  I replaced the standard GI-type with a BCM Gunfighter.  I'm pleased to see the BCM fits since VLTOR has a pretty long list of rifles the 762 won't fit.  

Various bolt parts.  Note that the extractor has both a donut o-ring and another small internal spring.  Care should be taken since the inner spring falls out.

Gas piston parts.  These sure look like the parts I'm used to with my SR-556's but the adjustment/dis-assembly hole is bigger in the gas regulator.  Note that the regulator is marked as 7.62.

The buffer tube on the SR-762 is about an inch longer than a standard 5.56 carbine buffer tube.

The SR-762 appears to use a standard weight 5.56 carbine buffer.

I was trying to beat the fading daylight this evening and didn't get all the photos I wanted.  I'll try to get some SR-556 and SR-762 comparison photos tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice pics Melvin.  I am waiting with bated breath for your RR!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Barrel markings.

Receiver markings.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The piston parts.  The SR-762 compared to an SR-556.  These two parts appear to be identical.  The 308 piston is the cleaner one.

The 7.62 and 5.56 gas regulators.  These also appear identical and the 7.62 will fit in the 5.56 gas block and vice versa.  I haven't measured the gas ports themselves.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Gas blocks and forends.  These appear to be identical between the 5.56 and 7.62.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice Melvin!
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Ruger gets a giant bag of its just ok and way over priced from me...... I just don't value any ruger firearm at the $2k mark or higher. They have always been a value based brand and well the value is not there with this one for me. I will take a pass on this over priced rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ruger gets a giant bag of its just ok and way over priced from me...... I just don't value any ruger firearm at the $2k mark or higher. They have always been a value based brand and well the value is not there with this one for me. I will take a pass on this over priced rifle.
View Quote

MSRP is always a bit higher on the Ruger products and I think you'll be able to buy one of these in the $1600 range once the newness rubs off.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks nice.

How would you compare the Ruger piston design to the SIG 516/716 design? I didn't see any gas rings on the Ruger piston like there is on the Sig and it's got me curious.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a short video I made today just for fun.  This is with the gas setting on position #1 with my AAC 762-SDN-6 mounted.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks nice.

How would you compare the Ruger piston design to the SIG 516/716 design? I didn't see any gas rings on the Ruger piston like there is on the Sig and it's got me curious.

View Quote

The SIG 516 and 716 are similar but different designs.  The 516 has small gas rings on the tail end of the gas nozzle while the 716 does not.  Parts from the 516 and 716 are not interchangeable between the two systems.  

From what I can tell, the Ruger SR-556 and SR-762 use the same gas parts and same handguard between the two rifles.  My immediate concern is whether or not the parts that have been working fine for the 5.56 will hold up to the operating forces of the 7.62.  Time will tell on that one.

Using as many of the same gas parts as possible really makes sense in my mind.  It simplifies manufacturing costs, helps armorers maintain parts inventory and will hopefully lead to some aftermarket supper down the road.  It would be great if someone could make a keymod handguard that would work on either rifle.  I'd like to see a custom gas regulator as well.  Maybe something that will accept small threaded inserts that allow for custom gas port sizes to tune the gun as much as possible for a specific ammo or for soft shooting for use in competition, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The SIG 516 and 716 are similar but different designs.  The 516 has small gas rings on the tail end of the gas nozzle while the 716 does not.  Parts from the 516 and 716 are not interchangeable between the two systems.  

From what I can tell, the Ruger SR-556 and SR-762 use the same gas parts and same handguard between the two rifles.  My immediate concern is whether or not the parts that have been working fine for the 5.56 will hold up to the operating forces of the 7.62.  Time will tell on that one.

Using as many of the same gas parts as possible really makes sense in my mind.  It simplifies manufacturing costs, helps armorers maintain parts inventory and will hopefully lead to some aftermarket supper down the road.  It would be great if someone could make a keymod handguard that would work on either rifle.  I'd like to see a custom gas regulator as well.  Maybe something that will accept small threaded inserts that allow for custom gas port sizes to tune the gun as much as possible for a specific ammo or for soft shooting for use in competition, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks nice.

I wonder why the 516 has the gas rings while the 716 does not. Don't mean to hijack your thread.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#29]
In one of your pictures it looks like the barrel is fluted under the hand guard, like the CLA model of the sr556. Is that correct?

I just held a carbine buffer tube and VLTOR A5 buffer tube up next to each other, the A5 is about an inch longer than the carbine. I wonder of that's the size Ruger is using... does the Ruger tube have a 7th stock position on it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In one of your pictures it looks like the barrel is fluted under the hand guard, like the CLA model of the sr556. Is that correct?

I just held a carbine buffer tube and VLTOR A5 buffer tube up next to each other, the A5 is about an inch longer than the carbine. I wonder of that's the size Ruger is using... does the Ruger tube have a 7th stock position on it?

Thanks!
View Quote

Yes.  The barrel is fluted like it is on the 556C and 556CLA.  

Here is the SR-762 recoil spring and buffer compared to a VLTOR A5 buffer and spring.  The new Ruger has a standard carbine buffer that weighs 3.0 ounces.  The VLTOR buffer and spring are on top.

The A5 buffer tube compared to the Ruger buffer tube.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Marvin.

That VLTOR tube looks odd, all of mine look different and have 7 positions.

Snapped a shot of the extra one:

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I should have specified.  The receiver extension I am comparing the Ruger's to is the RE-10/A5SR.

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/RE%252d10%7B47%7DA5SR%3A-AR10-%7B47%7D-A5-Short-Rail-Receiver-Extension.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's another short video.  This is three rounds unsuppressed (gas setting #2) followed by three rounds suppressed (gas setting #1).

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wonder why the 516 has the gas rings while the 716 does not. Don't mean to hijack your thread.
View Quote

My guess would be that the 516 needs gas rings to function while the 716 does not...

In all seriousness, the SIG516 and SIG716 use similar but not identical systems and the 716 is not merely just a scaled up 516.  I don't know if the two rifles were developed side by side or if the 716 was a much later design on the evolutionary scale.  The idea that the 716 came along much later might explain why it has no rings.

Anyway, I assume it's only logical that someone will run a side by side comparison between the SIG and the Ruger since both are likely to be in direct competition.  Both rifles are likely to sell in the $1600-$1700 range, making them quite a bit cheaper than the other currently available 308 piston guns.

So far, I'd say the pro's of the Ruger is weight and the longer forend.  The pro's to the SIG is the user-accessible piston rod and the removable handguard that allows more detailed cleaning and inspection.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Here is another difference between the SR-556 and the SR-762 although I imagine this is an evolutionary change to the entire line and not just the SR-762.  Note that the SR-762's gas block has a slightly different flange and there's now more clearance between the handguard and the gas block.  My guess is that this was done to help minimize heat transfer and improve airflow and cooling.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Another little video.  I am pleased with the controllability of the new rifle.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice Marvin. Hopefully price will drop a bit.

I'm going to be broke the rest of my freaking life. Still have to get a Tavor, SCAR17 and now there's .308 piston ARs. Looks like community college for the kids.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice Marvin. Hopefully price will drop a bit.

I'm going to be broke the rest of my freaking life. Still have to get a Tavor, SCAR17 and now there's .308 piston ARs. Looks like community college for the kids.
View Quote

Don't rule out the GI Bill....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#39]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Thanks for the vids.  Any more initial impressions, Mel?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#40]
So the handguard is in contact with the foreend near the front site, correct?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So the handguard is in contact with the foreend near the front site, correct?
View Quote

It is.  This is something that's been part of the design since the SR-556 was introduced back in 2008 or whenever.

The older style handguards and rails had more contact with the gas block around the bottom but were more open at like 10:00 and 2:00.  Conceivably this allowed the shooter some access to the area where the gases are vented for cleaning. On this new SR-762 the handguard contacts the gas block basically every 90° and is no longer open along the sides to allow that little bit of access.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Thanks for the vids.  Any more initial impressions, Mel?
View Quote

my initial reactions are positive. the rifle balance is well and the upper and lower fit nicely together. Jeff Quinn reported that the trigger on his sample was very heavy. Mine is a bit heavy too but it is useable as-is and the little bit of grit it had has been cleaned up with dry fire and some grease on the contact points.

The gun might be a bit heavy but that's the nature of the beast and I think Ruger has done an acceptable job of keeping the gun reasonably light. The SR-762 is no heavier than some .223 piston guns. Anyway, add a sling, optic and full mag and you'll tip the scales at probably twelve or thirteen pounds. Again, that's pretty much the nature of the beast and you'll do the same with a FAL, etc.

I will keep you updated on how the rifle handles as I get more and more rounds downrange.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#44]
For those who've wondered about Ruger's source for rails, it appears they're being made by a New Hampshire based company called Matrix Aerospace.

Here's a photo I found on Matrix's website.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For those who've wondered about Ruger's source for rails, it appears they're being made by a New Hampshire based company called Matrix Aerospace.

http://www.matrixaero.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2013/09/matrix12.jpg
View Quote

Are those uppers and lowers also destined for Rugers? I can't see the rollmarks on my phone too well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Are those uppers and lowers also destined for Rugers? I can't see the rollmarks on my phone too well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.matrixaero.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2013/09/matrix12.jpg

On a computer, you can right click and view the image, Arfcom shrinks pics down some. When you do that, the Ruger markings are clearly visible.

It would be awesome if someone made a replacement two piece free float rail for SR's, like this MI one:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1210

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like I will be putting a few things up in the EE now.......and Melvin, if you don't want those Hogue pistol grips, I'd be happy to give them a good home.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one guy telling me they will be selling theirs for $1750, and they appear to have a 20% markup on their stuff.  That means I should be able to get one for about $1610 or so when the new wears off and my normal dealer starts getting some in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have one guy telling me they will be selling theirs for $1750, and they appear to have a 20% markup on their stuff.  That means I should be able to get one for about $1610 or so when the new wears off and my normal dealer starts getting some in.
View Quote

That price sounds about right.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top