Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2012 10:16:19 PM EDT
I'm in the process of getting a new piston AR. I already have a 16" with an Adams Arms kit. Which would be a better proposition a Colt 6940P (16") or an LMT CQBPS16 (16"). Both have monolithic top rails and both are piston guns. My dealer has both on order, but getting either is probably several weeks out. The colt has been on order for several months and he has no idea when they will ship from the distributor (ordered from multiple distis). The LMT is 20 weeks out from today. His price to me has the colt about $100 more than the LMT.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of getting a new piston AR. I already have a 16" with an Adams Arms kit. Which would be a better proposition a Colt 6940P (16") or an LMT CQBPS16 (16"). Both have monolithic top rails and both are piston guns. My dealer has both on order, but getting either is probably several weeks out. The colt has been on order for several months and he has no idea when they will ship from the distributor (ordered from multiple distis). The LMT is 20 weeks out from today. His price to me has the colt about $100 more than the LMT.

Nice thing about the Colt is that it is already equipped with flip-up sights. Nice thing about the LMT is the stock. LMT also has a slightly longer rail.

I'm a Colt fanboy so I say go for the Colt, but I'm not a piston fanboy in the AR platform. They were designed with a floating bolt carrier for DI operation

You would probably love either one
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go LMT. Easily converted to DI if you want.  Better stock.  Otherwise it would ne a coin flip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Although Colt has been testing piston rifles on and off since the late 60's, I have not seen many reviews on the 6940p to make any kind of judgement.  The LMT has been on the market for a few years now and has some awesome reviews. If you are looking at piston I would go with the LMT.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My piston MRP is one of my most prized firearms possessions.  I would not like being without it.  Can't say anything about the Colt.  Just know that the mad rush for guns has begun (election season) and will get worse before it gets better.  I'm just saying, if you want to secure some new hardware anytime soon, keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My piston MRP is one of my most prized firearms possessions.  I would not like being without it.  Can't say anything about the Colt.  Just know that the mad rush for guns has begun (election season) and will get worse before it gets better.  I'm just saying, if you want to secure some new hardware anytime soon, keep that in mind.

I am currently leaning to go with the MRP. I have 5 other ARs, an 18" varmit/tactical rifle that shoots less than 1/2MOA, two SBRs (11.5", 10.3"), a 16" gas gun and a 16" piston, so I'm in no hurry to get this one into my safe. If the Colt 6940p arrives before the MRP does, I will take a look at it. I guess my only concern is that recently Colt's quality control on fit and finish hasn't been the best, but again that doesn't affect function.

I also see that there is a 6.8 barrel available for the MRP. I believe that it is compatible with 300BLK, so that may be an interesting option (two diff calibers).
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I just got a call from my dealer and the 6940Ps he had ordered earlier this year shipped today and should be here next week. Looks like a 6940P is going to reside in my safe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats!  Undoubtedly you will love it.  Do us all a favor and post pics of the piston system when you can?  And of course report back on how it shoots.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd take the LMT every time
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I took TDI's Tactical Rifle I-III courses this fall, during which I fired some 4000 rounds through my 6940p, without a single failure.  

I absolutely love my 6940p.  Click here for my review.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took TDI's Tactical Rifle I-III courses this fall, during which I fired some 4000 rounds through my 6940p, without a single failure.  

Nice review.  At first glance, the piston system looks very similar to that of the LMT.  I hope someone that has experience with both might confirm that.  Are my eyes seeing this right?  Is it a two-piece carrier?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice review.  At first glance, the piston system looks very similar to that of the LMT.  I hope someone that has experience with both might confirm that.  Are my eyes seeing this right?  Is it a two-piece carrier?

Correct - two-piece carrier.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I got rid of my 6940 in favor of the MRP because the 6940 rail is too short for me. I now have both a DI and Piston MRP. I have really strarted liking the piston MRP a lot.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top