Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2012 6:08:22 AM EDT
Well I finally wore out a buffer tube from carrier tilt. It wore at the buffer spring retaining pin. It allowed the buffer retaining pin to come out and the buffer and spring came out of the tube. I had to take the gun apart to open it. I fired about 3K of rds through the gun before it wore out. Now I also was using a piston buffer so that might have cause wear on the buffer tube. I was using a ARES system. So can any one recommend a replacement carrier with anti tilt that will work with the ARES system.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You have pics?   I'm curious to see if your wear is similar to one of my failed buffer tubes.  

I used one of Slash's anti-tilt buffers as a solution to this.   It works as advertised.    Maybe he'll chime in.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what mine looks like. What oz buffer are you using
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's exactly what mine looks like. What oz buffer are you using

H2.   Not sure what that is in ounces.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I'm going to look into those
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
3 thousand? Thats way to early for worn parts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, that's about when mine gave out on my LMT.  Same failure.   Retaining pin popped out (you can see the little hole in the picture) and completely locked up the FCG

I don't know if I can blame it on the LMT though.   The lower is from a M&P15 and the commercial extension tube came with a Magpul ACS stock I found cheap at a gun show.   Between the crappy ATI extention tube and M&P15 lower, there could have been enough tolerance stacking to cause excessive wear. To be fair, most other LMT pistons I've seen don't have nearly the carrier tilt problem mine did.

I'm now running a Magpul UBR stock and Slash's H2 buffer.   There is now some cosmetic scuffing (from the enlarged carrier and skis) after about a thousand rounds, but nothing anywhere near as bad as before.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, that's about when mine gave out on my LMT.  Same failure.   Retaining pin popped out (you can see the little hole in the picture) and completely locked up the FCG

I don't know if I can blame it on the LMT though.   The lower is from a M&P15 and the commercial extension tube came with a Magpul ACS stock I found cheap at a gun show.   Between the crappy ATI extention tube and M&P15 lower, there could have been enough tolerance stacking to cause excessive wear. To be fair, most other LMT pistons I've seen don't have nearly the carrier tilt problem mine did.

I'm now running a Magpul UBR stock and Slash's H2 buffer.   There is now some cosmetic scuffing (from the enlarged carrier and skis) after about a thousand rounds, but nothing anywhere near as bad as before.

I'm pretty anal about watching for wear and tear. I dont think 3k is acceptable. Rearm, retool and make that puppy stronger.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't claim to be anything class 10-80 and 1st/75th Batt. for some reason that's what I have always called it. Back in my day we were issued M16A1 and we had the car-15. I mostly used a shotgun, Colt 45 and MP5SD. As far as buffer tube goes it a tube that hold the buffer, hence buffer tube. So you call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.  

Quoted:
A guy who claims to have to be Ranger qualified calls this a "buffer tube?"

–– Chuck

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty anal about watching for wear and tear. I dont think 3k is acceptable. Rearm, retool and make that puppy stronger.

Nor do I.  That's why I went with Slash's anti-tilt buffer and a known good quality extention tube.   The carrier-tilt wear was reduced to what I would call cosmetic.   I keep a spare UBR-specific extention tube, but I don't think I'll ever need to use it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't claim to be anything class 10-80 and 1st/75th Batt. for some reason that's what I have always called it. Back in my day we were issued M16A1 and we had the car-15. I mostly used a shotgun, Colt 45 and MP5SD. As far as buffer tube goes it a tube that hold the buffer, hence buffer tube. So you call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.  

Quoted:
A guy who claims to have to be Ranger qualified calls this a "buffer tube?"

–– Chuck

If it walks like a duck.......quack quack.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
E
Quoted:
I was using a ARES system. So can any one recommend a replacement carrier with anti tilt that will work with the ARES system.

Was it an older carrier? The newer ones have anti tilt skis or skids at the bottom rear of the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well I finally wore out a buffer tube from carrier tilt. It wore at the buffer spring retaining pin. It allowed the buffer retaining pin to come out and the buffer and spring came out of the tube. I had to take the gun apart to open it. I fired about 3K of rds through the gun before it wore out. Now I also was using a piston buffer so that might have cause wear on the buffer tube. I was using a ARES system. So can any one recommend a replacement carrier with anti tilt that will work with the ARES system.

Contact Slash (Heavy Buffers) for one of his anti-tilt buffers, or you can pick up a POF or PWS enhanced buffer tube that has the extended front wings to fully capture the rear end of the carrier.

Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did LMT do for you to fix the problem ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did LMT do for you to fix the problem ?

I didn't even bother contacting them.   Not their lower or extension tube.  I never have heard of such carrier tilt issues with other LMT piston guns, so I assume it was my upper/lower combination.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top