Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:37:34 AM EDT
Hey folks,
I want to swap out the original Troy quad handguard for a lighter mid-length or better yet a 556E handguard. Does Ruger sell this seperate? I cant see anything on their web site. Also does any one have suggestions for a midl-length that would work?
Thanks for the knowledge,
David
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Ruger sells the handguards seperately, but you could probably send the upper in and have them swap it out for you.

Just as an aside, I have an "E" model, and after handling quad-railed handguards, the no-rail version it has is freakishly skinny, but quickly gotten used to. Haven't had any prblems with it getting too hot, either (yet).
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger may swap it, otherwise you are out of luck. There are no handguards on the market that work with Rugers proprietary system.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ruger may swap it, otherwise you are out of luck. There are no handguards on the market that work with Rugers proprietary system.

I was told they wouldn't do it by a customer service rep.  Still, maybe a different one would tell us something different.  Let us know if anyone has any luck with this.  I asked if I could have the E handguard installed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I was under the impression that the 556E style were not removable.  At least the note that came with my rifle stated " do not remove" if i remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey folks,
I want to swap out the original Troy quad handguard for a lighter mid-length or better yet a 556E handguard. Does Ruger sell this seperate? I cant see anything on their web site. Also does any one have suggestions for a midl-length that would work?
Thanks for the knowledge,
David

I think u r outta luck

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Technically, they are removable, but they are riveted into place.  Ruger told me they won't remove it.  I know they can, but they apparently wont.  It is a shame, because I'd pay them to switch the handguard.  I like the one that's on mine, but LOVE the one on the "E".
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I asked the same this is what they told me.

Name has been withheld to protect the innocent

Dear dogrobber13,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of   06/27/2012
Request No: 144889

Comment / question:

Is it possible to upgrade a 556c to 556cla configuration?
I hace a 556c w 4 rail handguard and want the Smooth 556cla handguard.

Thanks for your time,

dogrobber13

Response:
This would require a new upper. At this time, we do not offer the CLA upper separately. Please keep checking our web sight for updates, new models, and availability. Thank you for your interest in Ruger firearms.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com

So i am SOL  

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Bummer
Thanks for the replys!
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top