Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2012 5:29:29 PM EDT
So for the "pics" or it did not happen crowd...Here are a couple pics of my SIG 516 as it now stands after a little furniture swap and a scope mounted.
Shoots 69gr PRVI 1" or a tad over and 68gr Black Hills at 1" and usually under consistantly. Very Happy.
Apologize for the crappy photo's but at least now you see them.
Try a SIG 516 out before spending outrageous cash on a similar model that is over priced by other MFG.
Have only fired 1200 or so rounds through it and no bobbles at all so far. No carrier tilt.100% reliable.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yours isn't the only 516 out in the world. However, doesn't anybody know where to get a barrel wrench for Sig's proprietary barrel nut?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/EricTheOracle/Sig516.jpg
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, somebody seems kinda testy..Posted pictures of mine because of the "pics" or it did not happen crowd and wanted to spread the word on this fine weapon.
As far as the barrel nut wrench I think if you really needed one for whatever reason it would take very little effort to make your own.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You read me wrong.

You posted suggesting that nobody knows about Sig's 516. I posted a photo of my Sig 516 and asked if anybody knows if the aftermarket is making a barrel wrench for the Sig 516 since Sig refuses to sell them.

As far as making a barrel wrench, I'm not a machinist or a tool maker.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, Eric I think you read it wrong. He's just showing off his new toy that he FINALLY got.. Anyways knack hope you enjoy it. I've got one with the original carrier that has treated me very well.

Eric...do you have a drill? Is there a hardware store near by? Get a piece of 1/8"x1"x a foot or so cold roll, two 3/16" ( just eyeballed the barrel nut so this might not be right) bolts 1 " or so with nuts, and a 3/16" drill bit. Drill a 3/16" hole near the end of the length of steel offset as much as you can, put one of two bolts through and snug it up tight with the nut. This is one of the "teeth". Measure and do the same to create the other "tooth". If you have a grinder you can grind out some area between the bolts to help get it towards the center of axis. And if flex is an issue once the bolts are grabbing the barrel nut lock em down with something maybe a hose clamp. You might even be able to use a stick and a leather belt!

Its funny how one overengineers an issue only to come up with why it cant be done.  I think it was Da Vinci that said "simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication". Wise man.

Or.......I sell a proprietary and engraved custom made one of a kind Cig Sour 516 proprietary barrel nut wrench for $250.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of you gents have a fine rifle there
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats knack! That's nice you got the version with the engraving in the lower, I would have preferred that. I love mine also as it is the most reliable rifle out of all mine as well. Is that a crossfire with bdc mildot? I use to have an ACS on my 516 also but ended up replacing it with an STR. Here is a pic of her too:

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Darith-
What is that strange contraption on the end of your barrel? I look at the pic and I get lost thinking of Miles Davis.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.
Darith- I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x on mine....BTW- Your Sig looks great as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Darith-
What is that strange contraption on the end of your barrel? I look at the pic and I get lost thinking of Miles Davis.

haha you mean this face?

It's just a muzzle cover to prevent the breacher edges of the muzzle brake (YHM Phantom 5C2) from scratching/puncturing my walls, ground or carry bag.

knack, does yours have the dead-hold bdc reticle?

How often do you clean your 516?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Those pupils.....how much coke did he need for that pic?

Clean a 516? The manual didn't say anything about that. Barrel every shoot. Think Ive cleaned the op-rod twice and the rest I clean out of boredom, not necessity. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it still runs perfectly with the only real wear coming from the cam pin on the upper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Darith- Yes it's the BDC reticle and I like it alot.

Cleaning my SIG 516 takes way less time than it takes me to clean any of my DI rifles.....Barrel...A quick wipe of the bolt carrier every now and then which mostly I do out of habit..The white rags I use usually show it was hardly needed with minimal lube.
I also wipe the spring to the piston with a Q-tip and a little lube(Probably not needed).
Really nice to be done so quick......Was used to my cleaning discipline we had when I was in the Marines.

With all the negative talk you hear from all the guys that spent $2500-$3000 dollars for basically the same thing from a different manufacturer. I think it's more that they are pissed they got taken on an over priced weapon more than any actual experience with these.
Also seems most are not listening because most gun places that get these in are sold out very quickly.

The only negatives most point to that is true if it really is a selling point to you is...No tool to change out barrel nut. No aftermarket rails yet. (Not sure why, the rail on these is great as it is and can be taken off for cleaning with a supplied tool).
Plus parts availablility for repairs...Your warranty covers all these but I can see why anyone would want spare parts...
Other than that- Great weapon/ Great Price/Great Warranty.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top