Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2012 3:27:15 PM EDT
I have made my mind up about putting a kit on my AR.  The only question is which one.  Can you all give me your reasons for the kit you would choose?  Thanks.+
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are planning on replacing the gas block, get the Adam's arms kit.  It's the most popular meaning you'll have no problem finding a matching handguard.  It's also easy to clean, plus the skis and bolt spring on the carrier pretty much eliminate carrier tilt.  No signs of it on my rifles.  Also, they have a great meloniting process on all of their parts, makes for easier cleaning and maintenance.

If you are cheap, get the kit from CDNN, it's an adams arms kit minus the bolt carrier.  You'll get carrier tilt and you'll have to occasionally tighten the gas key screws.  But it's cheap as hell, like $170.  You can try it out, then buy the adams arms carrier later.

If you want a drop in kit, get the Osprey system, you don't have to remove the gas block and it's pretty easy to install.  Non-existent handguard selection though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm very happy with my Adams
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Adams Arms kit based on my own research. I haven't got it in the mail yet so I can't comment on performance. I am looking for an alternative to my LWRC's. I like how the AA kit allows me to work on the whole gun myself and not need to send in for specific work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Adams for the win.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
First post and all...
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Adams Arms.  
fatkid
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are planning on replacing the gas block, get the Adam's arms kit.  It's the most popular meaning you'll have no problem finding a matching handguard.  It's also easy to clean, plus the skis and bolt spring on the carrier pretty much eliminate carrier tilt.  No signs of it on my rifles.  Also, they have a great meloniting process on all of their parts, makes for easier cleaning and maintenance.

If you are cheap, get the kit from CDNN, it's an adams arms kit minus the bolt carrier.  You'll get carrier tilt and you'll have to occasionally tighten the gas key screws.  But it's cheap as hell, like $170.  You can try it out, then buy the adams arms carrier later.

If you want a drop in kit, get the Osprey system, you don't have to remove the gas block and it's pretty easy to install.  Non-existent handguard selection though.

I think I might try this, I have an osprey but want an Adam's I think I might try to use the osprey bolt carrier in the CDNN kit, would this work?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  But i've never tried it, so you never know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Adams has essentially become the industry standard.  (OEM to Red Jacket Firearms, Christensen Arms, Spikes[previously], Huldra, Smith & Wesson, JP Enterprises...)

This isn't to say that there aren't other good piston systems...but it does say a lot about Adams piston system that there are that many companies that strongly believe in it, especially companies like JP Enterprises, Smith & Wesson and Christensen Arms.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
don't hold it against AA that red jacket uses them lol.

how did i come to buy the two AA's I have?
i took the time to read through the many many many post in the piston  section. maybe that could work for you?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I might try this, I have an osprey but want an Adam's I think I might try to use the osprey bolt carrier in the CDNN kit, would this work?

The flat face of the key on the bolt carrier might be located in a different spot with each carrier. I don't really know if this is true, I am just thinking that if it is, the two pistons wouldn't work right. If the key on the Osprey carrier is further back than the Adams Arms kit, piston might not travel far enough back to adequately cycle the BCG causing short stroking. If the key on the Osprey carrier is closer to the bolt, the piston might rest too far back and would keep the bolt from locking into the barrel extension.

Maybe someone here has both kits and can take pictures to compare the two companies' carriers?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
went Adams Arms 4 times and could not be happier
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Adams has essentially become the industry standard.  (OEM to Red Jacket Firearms, Christensen Arms, Spikes[previously], Huldra, Smith & Wesson, JP Enterprises...)

This isn't to say that there aren't other good piston systems...but it does say a lot about Adams piston system that there are that many companies that strongly believe in it, especially companies like JP Enterprises, Smith & Wesson and Christensen Arms.

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both the Adams and Osprey kits.  I prefer the Adams Arms kit.  It was a more involved install, but I believe it is more robust.  The Osprey kit ran 100% after they updated the piston (first batch went out with incorrect piston).  I also prefer a free float rail and the Adams kit gives you more options for that.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Osprey or Ares piston kit. Both are great for 223/556 cal.
Both systems are not required to remove the stock front sight (A-Frame).
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the osprey kit.. I wanted it to fit under a bar rail... i like the kit because its SIMPLE and there are 3 parts to the kit, piston op rod, piston, bolt carrier. no parts to mess with the gas, just pick it up and shoot it.. plus, if the world ended tomarrow, and for some reason the piston broke, (highly unlikely) you can convert back to DI in like 5 minutes..  not having a huge selection of handgaurds in my opinion does not make this a bad kit.. how many handgaurd choices do you need??

here are some that fit that most people like...  
MOE
spikes BAR
AB arms mod-1  (my personal, non-railed favorite)
midwest industries has a few offerings
pretty sure a yankee hill one would fit....
and the list continues on ospreys website..

not to mention customer service is excellent (so far) i had an issue with my carrier and they are sending me a replacement..

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Adams kit, just make sure to get a current one with the complete bolt carrier, instead of the ones with the replacement key. I think those are the ones CDNN had. Lots of places are out of stock, riflegear.com had the best price on the rifle length kit I just got. Easy installation, I like mine with the Midwest Industries SS 12" tube.Very light and you put the rails where you want them..
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 osprey
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top