User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2017 11:50:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
On Facebook you said these would be available in a number of different thread patterns. Is 1/2-36 (for 9mm) on that list?

Also, what is the overall length of these?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Would pinning this to a 14.5 barrel bring it to 16.1?  How about 13.7?  Please tell me it works on a 13.7
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would pinning this to a 14.5 barrel bring it to 16.1?  How about 13.7?  Please tell me it works on a 13.7
View Quote
It is aluminum, too. So that weld over the pin would need to be considered.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Solid point.  Didn't think of that
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At this time the 1/2X36 is not in production, but we may make others in the future.
View Quote

Bummer. I was hoping you'd make it and it would be right around 2.5" OAL. I've only been able to find ones that are way too long or way too short.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the diameter, and will they fit under your lightweight/slimline model handguards?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
weight?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does not reduce recoil or flash.
View Quote

Would you say ... for the record ... that it is not a flash suppressor, muzzle brake or muzzle compensator?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
It states they are for 5.56/223 barrels.  Any chance they will work with a 9mm round?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It states they are for 5.56/223 barrels.  Any chance they will work with a 9mm round?
View Quote

This I was just wondering if a 9mm round will clear it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes that is stated on our web site . These are design to direct blast and concussion forward away from the shooter.
Troy
MI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes that is stated on our web site . These are design to direct blast and concussion forward away from the shooter.
Troy
MI

Thanks, Troy.  I did actually see the:
• Directs muzzle blast forward on short barrel rifles and pistols. Does not reduce recoil or flash.

but my words were very specifically taken from the NY SAFE Act.  It was a tongue-in-cheek question.

That said, anybody know how someone would go about getting one of those ATF technical "we've reviewed xxxx and determined that it is not yyyy" letters?  NYSP won't give that sort of clarification, so that would be the closest thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I love it.  This is going to be tried out on one of my SBR .458s and if it can be re-threaded to 3/4 x 24 it is going on a .475 TREMOR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Need to make a short version too.  If I'm gonna add 4 inches to my 10.5" pistol, I might as well just get a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it just a straight can or does it have some internal diverter like the Noveske KX5 Pig?
In any event it seems well made and well priced.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want something shorter, only 1.750", check out MI's Blast Diverter.  It is a linear compensator and does an excellent job of diverting the blast forward, living up to its namesake.  I have three, one on a 10.5" 5.56, a 12" 6.8, and even one that has been modified for my 16" .400/10 mm SOCOM.  Oddly, on the .400 SOCOM, it affected the harmonics of the load and cut group sizes by about 1/2 inch.  Taking loads that were good to begin with, slightly over an inch, to well under an inch.  On the 5.56 and 6.8 I saw no change in accuracy one way or the other but they certainly throw the blast forward, just like the longer new version without the linear comp feature.

By the way, the flash can is not anywhere near 4" long; where did you get that?  Three and three-eighth's inches is closer to three inches than four if you insist on rounding off to whole numbers.

In regards to the KX3 and KX5, I have three of them too, a KX3 on a 7.5" 5.56 and a 10.5" .458 SOCOM and a KX5 on a 12" .458 SOCOM.  They work very well and I like them a lot but you have to take them apart and clean them very well after each use.  Neglect to tear them down and clean and you can have a hell of a time getting them apart when you do decide to do a thorough cleaning.  Also, I have found the 7.5" 5.56 seems to errode the cone in the KX3 pretty badly but I doubt you will ever wear it out.  However, it sure isn't pretty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OK
Troy
MI
View Quote

Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't say you should stop making that version, I simply said you should start making a short version, for people who want a blast can type device but don't want to add 3 and a half inches (sorry, not 4) to their AR pistol.

Great response though. You could've just said, "sorry, we don't think there would be enough interest, so we have no plans to offer a short version at this time."
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Troy: do you have a picture or drawing of the taper?
Thanks.

PS: I love your billet U/L!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm naming my next band 'Coulda Woulda Shoulda'

That's a neat product.  Does it actually focus the muzzle blast into a tighter cone, pushing the supersonic wavefront out ahead of the muzzle?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks good - Just ordered a couple from you.
Thank you MI!

2017-03-22: Mine came in. I find them very nice in design and finish. It is not just a blast can  "tube" but effectively has a nice inner taper (narrower at the barrel end). Price is very good as well. I look forward to trying it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:3.2 oz
View Quote
I just wanted to say "thank you" for posting this data. It's amazing how few manufacturers are interested in distributing weight info for their products. At any rate, I've added this item to the PWD. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my two flash cans today, a 5.56 and a .308.  They are threaded 1/2 x 28 and 5/8 x 24 respectively  and are perfectly finished.
The really good news is they they will clear almost any bullet you can imagine using.  The flash can for the 5.56 will just barely pass a .475" bullet so any bullet from .458 down will easily clear.

The 7.62 flash can is even larger internally with more than enough room to pass a .510 bullet.  This flash can is going to be ideal for anyone wanting to use on an SBR in any caliber from .510 on down.  

With its 3 3/8" length it will make a 13.5 inch barrel 'legal' with a total barrel length of 16.250 inch, which is the barrel length I am using it on.  My welder says it is no problem welding the aluminum flash can over a steel pin.  He told me to cut the pin a bit lower than the surface of the aluminum ahd he can pool the aluminum weld over top of the steel pin, no problem, creating a solid welded cap over the pin and that certainly satisfies the ATFE.  I bought a clone MP5 years ago that had an aluminum fake can pinned and welded exactly the same way and the ATF was fine with it then just as they are now.  Don't believe it?  Write them a letter!
FYI, the melting point of aluminum is over 1200*F.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I just picked up the upper from my welder who welded over the pin on the Blast Can and it and it turned out perfectly.  It was MIG welded and I had to create a funnel around the pin to expose more base aluminum for welding and he grounded to the gas block.  A little dressing down and the weld will not even show after Duracoating.  He said TIG might have been cleaner but after dressing down I don't see how it could look any better.

FYI, I recessed the pin .043 below the surface of the Blast Can and the pin was the tail end of a 7/64" bit.  The funnel was made with a 1/4" bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just picked up the upper from my welder who welded over the pin on the Blast Can and it and it turned out perfectly.  It was MIG welded and I had to create a funnel around the pin to expose more base aluminum for welding and he grounded to the gas block.  A little dressing down and the weld will not even show after Duracoating.  He said TIG might have been cleaner but after dressing down I don't see how it could look any better.

FYI, I recessed the pin .043 below the surface of the Blast Can and the pin was the tail end of a 7/64" bit.  The funnel was made with a 1/4" bit.
View Quote
It's a shame someone can't invent some device to capture an image of something and then reproduce it elsewhere so others could see the actual item...
:-p

I would like to see an image of this on a barrel, short or not. Might fit one of my current guns better than what I already have on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Imagination is a wonderful thing.
Because the forend I used on the rifle will not slide over the BC, it needs to be modified and it won't be done for a week or two.  Besides, how does a picture of it on a different rifle help you envision how it will look on your rifle any better than simply knowing what the BC looks like and using your mind's eye to envision how it looks on your rifle?  If you must have a picture you'll have to wait until the forend gets back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Actually a picture from anyone would be handy, it's pretty basic but still helps if I'm not trying to imagine stuff in relation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't want anyone to strain their brain having to actually use their imagination so here is the 5.56 Blast Can on a 8.5 inch .338 Spectre in an old DD M4 forend with the CAR front sight cut out.  Before getting the MI Blast Can I had a KX3 on there and used the rail cut out to put the engraved flaming pig logo in.  The DDM4 forend just barely cleared the KX3 so there is a lot more room now with the BC, and no more having to tear the unit down each time I shoot it to clean out the device and re-lube.
Remember what I posted earlier, the 5.56 BC will just barely clear a .475 bullet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#40]
So I'm curious. I've got a KAK Flash Can on a pistol build, as a low cost alternative to the KX3 Flaming Pig. My 7.5" build ran fine without additional back pressure so I didn't see the need for a Pig. Now I have stumbled on this MI Flash Can. Aside from the flutes, the tapered interior and a slightly lower price, (depending on suppliers), how does this differ from the KAK Flash Can? Attachment Attached File

Does the tapered interior assist ballistics in some way? I read that it decreased the size of groupings for the poster with the 10mm build. Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I doubt it would have any effect on group size but I have not shot the Blast Can yet.  And it was not this BLAST CAN that caused my groups to shrink on the .400/10mm SOCOM but rather the BLAST DIVERTER.  The BD is more of an inline compensator whereas the BC is strictly a blast can.  Also, the BD did not have any affect what so ever on group size on the other two pistols/SBR rifles I put them on, only the 16 inch .400. Why it caused groups to shrink is Voodoo magic to me.

Also, the Blast Diverter can only be opened up to .40 caliber.  Due to the front ports and the annular rings at the base, enlarging the opening beyond .40 caliber will cause problems.  The Blast Can, on the other hand, is already so large you can throw a cat through it and even the 5.56 BC is big enough to pass a .458 caliber bullet with room to spare, and the .308 BC can easily pass a .510 bullet.  The BC is ideal for anyone wanting to direct the blast forward, does not want compensator action, and does not want to fool with having someone modify the unit.  Of course, modifying anything voids the manufacture's warranty so since the BC does not need modifying, the warranty is not voided.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmmmm. I'm interested. I found the diverter when searching for the blast can. It looks neat also. I may have to pick up a couple of each to "play" with. I've got a couple 14.7" unpinned uppers, and my plan was to keep them on pistol lowers. But I have toyed with the idea of pinning a muzzle device to one for rifle use. Haven't made up my mind. But these MI devices are seemingly a very cost effective option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder what the two notches at the can tip are for (beyond aesthetics)?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#44]
IMO, and mind you I am NOT in a position to actually know, but if I were using this on a forend which partially covered the blast can so the flats could not be reached, AND the forend could not be slipped over the can after installing the BC, then I would put a flat piece of steel through the notches to tighten it up, or a strap wrench with rosin.  Either would work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I suspect it doesn't from the looks of it, but does this add any back pressure to the gas system?  

I have a DD Mk18 upper, and three different makes of linear comps, designed throw the blast forward, all increased the back pressure leading to a faster cycling BCG leading to failures to extract before the pressure could go down enough to allow proper extraction.  Andy at MI was VERY helpful and said your MI AR-15 Blast Diverter would not add back pressure.  He was right, and the Blast Diverter caused no extraction problems and threw the blast away from me and the shooters on the sides.  Always on the lookout for other shooting aids, I like the looks of this Blast Can, but would prefer it didn't increase the gas system back pressure and would put it on another of my SBR uppers.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I suspect it doesn't from the looks of it, but does this add any back pressure to the gas system?  

I have a DD Mk18 upper, and three different makes of linear comps, designed throw the blast forward, all increased the back pressure leading to a faster cycling BCG leading to failures to extract before the pressure could go down enough to allow proper extraction.  Andy at MI was VERY helpful and said your MI AR-15 Blast Diverter would not add back pressure.  He was right, and the Blast Diverter caused no extraction problems and threw the blast away from me and the shooters on the sides.  Always on the lookout for other shooting aids, I like the looks of this Blast Can, but would prefer it didn't increase the gas system back pressure and would put it on another of my SBR uppers.

Thank you
View Quote
From what I see in my two I cannot imagine them increasing back pressure since there is no internal blast chamber.  It has no baffle to redirect gasses like a brake nor does it have a gas expansion chamber like the KX3/5.  It's just a simple funnel that  directs the blast forward.  Then again, I have no way to determine if it increases back pressure or not but I see no increase of function speed on my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thank you
View Quote
My experience is with the Griffin Armament Blast Shield so it may not reflect what this MI Blast Can does as far as back pressure.  I have the Blast Shield mounted over the GA Taper Mount Brake (in place of the GA Recce 5 when I shoot unsuppressed).  I have a lightweight BCG and buffer system so I use an SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block.  I was tuning the gas block with the Blast Shield and found that the rifle would lock back on the last round with 6 clicks open on the gas block (LC XM193 ammo).  When I removed the Blast Shield, it no longer locked back on the last round with the same gas setting and same ammo.  The shells ejected fine, just did not lock back on 3 tries, so I am assuming it was pretty close.  I would say that the GA Blast Shield does add a little bit of back pressure, but it may be just the geometry and interaction between this specific brake and the shield.  The GA Blast Shield is a simple cylinder that deflects the blast forward and is quite effective.  But the GA Blast Shield does not have the taper cone design that this MI Blast Can has, so my experience may be irrelevant to this design.  My guess, however; is that this Blast Can would add a small amount of back pressure.  I would be surprised if it caused you to have extraction issues.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered one for a budget build, this was my first time dealing with MI and was very pleased the experience along with the Blast Can itself.  OAL was mentioned in a previous post and if there was a shorter option for those that are using 16-20" barrels it would be a nice option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
RMO - I bought their billet upper/lower and I have found them very nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top