Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a few pics of my first lower using the 5DT jig. I trial fitted this Anderson lower with its mate upper and it was a perfect fit with pivot/takedown pins aligning exactly as expected. Trigger pin and safety holes were also dead on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A few "learnings" of note are as follows:

1. Double and triple check all bolts and screws on the jig before commencing milling. I realized the two screws holding the buffer adapter weren't fully tightened halfway through the first milling level which caused the lower to move sideways resulting in the slight overmilling at the top of the trigger pocket as seen in pic 3.

2. Tight fitment of the end mill in the 5/16" trigger hole when getting to the last pass on the medium pin series might cause the router to stall when turned on. DO NOT try to start the router outside of the hole and lower it in as it may jump and hit the side of your pocket causing a gouge on your otherwise near-perfect lower...(see pic 4)  Instead, use your 5/16" drill bit and "wallow out" the hole slightly until the end mill fits inside with enough tolerance to turn freely. Then, and only then, turn on your router and proceed with the final pass.

3. The 3/8" starter hole in the drill guide was tight for my drill bit to the point that it couldnt seat to full depth before starting the drill, so I had to be very careful starting that hole. I tried several bits, but all were too snug to seat fully. No problem was noted with the 5/16 bit fitting the drill guide.

Overall, I'm very happy with the jig and the results.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
OST

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I just read the instructions and watched the video.  The question I have is why after drilling the two trigger holes could I  not rout them with the router all the way down?  This would negate the need to
be so careful as when you have a thin bottom and try to cut/rout the trigger hole.  In fact this is the way my original Modulus Jig worked.  Is it that the end mill is too large for the larger hole?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you referring to the ONE 5/16" hole?

That is the hole you use to cut the slot for the trigger in the bottom of the receiver. When you install the longest guide pins the router will only cut the trigger slot.
View Quote
Watched it again and now I see why.  Too small.  But the question I ask is why not arrange that so that the pilot hole all the way through can accommodate the mill to allow you to rout an oval (the size of the trigger opening) all the way down before you level layers?   What I mean is you use the router to create an oval tunnel with the dimensions of the trigger opening all the way down through thick aluminum before you begin to rout layers?  This would eliminate the need to be so careful with that fragile trigger opening in 1/10" aluminum?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's a few pics of my first lower using the 5DT jig. I trial fitted this Anderson lower with its mate upper and it was a perfect fit with pivot/takedown pins aligning exactly as expected. Trigger pin and safety holes were also dead on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/IMG-6068-179664.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/IMG-6069-179665.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/IMG-6074-179674.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/IMG-6071-179668.JPG

A few "learnings" of note are as follows:

1. Double and triple check all bolts and screws on the jig before commencing milling. I realized the two screws holding the buffer adapter weren't fully tightened halfway through the first milling level which caused the lower to move sideways resulting in the slight overmilling at the top of the trigger pocket as seen in pic 3.

2. Tight fitment of the end mill in the 5/16" trigger hole when getting to the last pass on the medium pin series might cause the router to stall when turned on. DO NOT try to start the router outside of the hole and lower it in as it may jump and hit the side of your pocket causing a gouge on your otherwise near-perfect lower...(see pic 4)  Instead, use your 5/16" drill bit and "wallow out" the hole slightly until the end mill fits inside with enough tolerance to turn freely. Then, and only then, turn on your router and proceed with the final pass.

3. The 3/8" starter hole in the drill guide was tight for my drill bit to the point that it couldnt seat to full depth before starting the drill, so I had to be very careful starting that hole. I tried several bits, but all were too snug to seat fully. No problem was noted with the 5/16 bit fitting the drill guide.

Overall, I'm very happy with the jig and the results.
View Quote
Well done!!

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been considering one of these for awhile, best jig I have seen.

Question... if one has a manufactured lower, but it has a high shelf, or just a little too much material there and it won't accept your RDIAS, can this jig be presumably used with that 100% lower to drop that shelf area down to low shelf material and fit the RDIAS?

Really, I only have 3/64ths of an inch to remove from a tiny tiny shelf in a V7 lower. No idea why V7 would design it that way, but they did.

I will buy the jig for that reason alone if this sounds doable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been considering one of these for awhile, best jig I have seen.

Question... if one has a manufactured lower, but it has a high shelf, or just a little too much material there and it won't accept your RDIAS, can this jig be presumably used with that 100% lower to drop that shelf area down to low shelf material and fit the RDIAS?

Really, I only have 3/64ths of an inch to remove from a tiny tiny shelf in a V7 lower. No idea why V7 would design it that way, but they did.

I will buy the jig for that reason alone if this sounds doable.
View Quote
Sounds doable to me. My 80% lower had a pre-milled rear shelf pocket and the milling process with the 5DT jig removed a slight amount of the rear shelf material; though I can't  say exactly how much. They way this system works, you can follow the outline of the pocket at whatever depth you desire; even to the point of screwing the pooch and making it a useless paperweight...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Watched it again and now I see why.  Too small.  But the question I ask is why not arrange that so that the pilot hole all the way through can accommodate the mill to allow you to rout an oval (the size of the trigger opening) all the way down before you level layers?   What I mean is you use the router to create an oval tunnel with the dimensions of the trigger opening all the way down through thick aluminum before you begin to rout layers?  This would eliminate the need to be so careful with that fragile trigger opening in 1/10" aluminum?
View Quote
Looks like it could be done my way. After drilling the two holes I could remove one layer or part of a layer just enough to create a trigger plunge cavity.  Then start with the long guides in the trigger slot and go all the
way down leaving a long oval trigger sized cavity all the way through.  Then switch back to the shortest pins and run though the first range and then the medium pins through the second and it's done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my "notice of shipment" today for my order (3 weeks on the button from when I ordered). Built a new work table just for this. Just need to order my router and a new shop vac now. The first few 80%s I plan to try will be basic mil-spec lowers, but then I plan to make a polymer and try out an Iconic Industries Inc lower. Anyone out there used a 5D Tactical Jig with an Iconic Industries Inc lower yet? I am thinking that a polymer lower will have zero problems with the jig. Im looking forward to cutting my first lower within the next week or so (depending on how much time I have).
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bump for the weekend warriors. Lead times for jigs are currently at 2 weeks or less!
View Quote
Got my shipment notification today.

I am not even building an 80 lower right now, just creating a low shelf in a V7 lower.

Wish me luck, hope I have a working firearm when it's done...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I successfully used a 5d Tactical 80% jig to convert a high shelf V7 Lower to a low shelf configuration.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I successfully used a 5d Tactical 80% jig to convert a high shelf V7 Lower to a low shelf configuration.

http://i.imgur.com/et18MoF.jpg
View Quote
Excellent!  Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/et18MoF.jpg
View Quote
Well done

The 5D jig does it all!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Just waiting on a shipment notice. So it'll be watching videos and taking notes for a lil bit

Also ordered a PCE6435 tonight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jigs are IN STOCK!
View Quote
Hmmm, next day shipping, 3 days priority snail - jig 'em up this weekend......
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Just finished # 3 and 4 yesterday. Great jig but I think I need a new mill bit and possibly top drill guides. How did you do low shelf?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have replacement parts available here: http://www.5dtactical.com/jig-replacement-parts-s/108.htm

And end mills: http://www.5dtactical.com/jig-tools-s/102.htm
View Quote
my replacement parts came in monday. about how many lowers do you normally get out of the end mill bit?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm looking @ casting plastic 80% lowers for my friends using the AR15Mold.com mold - after I finish my chocolate lower.  Unfortunately, due to the mold design, the safety hole will be cast - in order to keep it an 80% (and not be producing firearms I give away) I'll be leaving the rear takedown pin hole and pocket unmolded.  Using your jig, would someone be able to drill the rear takedown pin hole and cut the rear takedown lug pocket?

Any issues w/ your endmill getting plugged up w/ melted plastic?  Do you have a recommended rpm for plastic lowers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#34]
if i kept the smallest guide pins in for the second depth gauge is it become a low shelf lower ? for a light weight build or if i can ever buy a rdias?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Any sales this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Hi,

Any reports on the Iconic Industries Gen 2 fitment?  I saw someone posting above regarding the 308 platform, but never confirmed that it actually fit.

https://msrarms.com/collections/80-lowers-jigs/products/iconic-industries-gen2-instigator-billet-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-options?variant=22346705089
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey 5DT....What's the recommended procedure to replace the guide bearing in the new style base?  After removing the two screws, the bearing is still solidly fixed in the base so I wanted to check with the designers before applying the hammer....(metaphorically speaking)

Edit: NVM. A few hours in the freezer and a light tap with a socket did the trick.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, I've never completed an 80% receiver before but I guess I'm gonna learn! Lol! Bought the 5D jig last night!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, I've never completed an 80% receiver before but I guess I'm gonna learn! Lol! Bought the 5D jig last night!
View Quote
Congrats!  You made a wise choice. Be warned, milling 80% lowers is like eating Lays potato chips..."no one can eat just one"
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Haha! Thanks! Just need to figure out a good engraver and anodizer. I'm hearing US Anodizing doesn't take finished 80 receivers anymore. If true, that's a real shame.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#44]
So a few weeks back I found a deal on some AR-308 polymer lowers (DPMS pattern). Yesterday I ordered my 5D Tactical 308 conversion kit (with some other spare parts). So in the next week or two (or whenever I find the time), I will try to cut a (Polymer80) 308 lower on the 5D Tactical 308 jig and give you guys (and ladies) a report on how it works out. I know its been stated before that the jig may not work on a polymer lower, but Im going to give it a try. So far all four of the AR-15 (non-polymer) lowers I have done came out perfectly (shared pics in this post of my first one).
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#45]
       Shill.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Can we use this jig with a typical 5/16" mill bit as long as it fits in our mini router?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can, however a 5/16" x 4" end mill will be required and none of the commercially available end mills in this size will have a short enough length of cut. Therefore, the cutting surface will interfere with the bearing for the first several passes. To use an off-the-shelf 5/16" end mill you will need to remove the support bearing after centering the plate. The bearing does 2 things - it obviously supports the end mill to reduce deflection, but it also guarantees the position of the end mill in relation to the guide pins. Extra care must be taken to ensure the router adapter plate is perfectly centered, or else your finished milling job will be off-center.
View Quote
Great! Missed the 4th sale so I'll probably get one on the next sale.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#50]
UPDATE on Polymer80 308 LOWER in the 5D Tactical!

So I did get the Polymer80 308 to fit, but it did require me to slightly dremel down both of the upper sides of the lower so the side plates would fit. Once I got that done the lower fit perfectly and milling polymer was a snap. I did find that a lower router speed helped to keep it from getting 2 warm (was trying to avoid any melting). My cut came out super nice (sry no pics till I find a replacement for PhotoBucket). I have yet to put parts into it or get an upper (other projects ahead of it), but I will get around to that sometime soon. The bottom line is that with a minor "mod" it works just fine on a 5D Tactical 308 Jig! Thanks again to everyone at 5D Tactical! You have made making 80% lowers fun and practical.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top