Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the 'heads up'.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my Rigid router from HD this weekend. Only $99 at HD (less than the $129 in the 5D guide) Like the LED light and clear views from both front and back. Like the 3 year replacement and lifetime service warranties.

10 days since order. Patiently waiting for shipment notice....
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the 80% arms jig for 4 lowers, with good success. Working on my 5th and blew the endmill to pieces. I have been pretty satisfied with my jig.....until i came across yours. It simply looks amazing. I will be jumping on the wagon very soon. After seeing Free's gorgeous results, i am sold. Hoping the router plate will fit my single speed porter cable.

Eta. The fact that it will do a 9mm lower makes it that much more appealing!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Worked fine on this 9mm I bought on gunbroker from some place in California. They didn't have a website.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here is a thought for you.

Locally the Lowes was $139.00

Home Depot was out of stock, but the "have it shipped & pickup at the store" price was 128.00

Lowes has price match PLUS an additional 10% off.

I did exactly that and wound up paying just over $115.00 + tax. (Prices are rounded)
View Quote

Thanks Again!
Got the price match, PLUS an additional 10% off!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
As soon as I have a place to do this that will not leave metal chips all over the kitchen floor.... 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks Again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a thought for you.

Locally the Lowes was $139.00

Home Depot was out of stock, but the "have it shipped & pickup at the store" price was 128.00

Lowes has price match PLUS an additional 10% off.

I did exactly that and wound up paying just over $115.00 + tax. (Prices are rounded)

Thanks Again!
Yea with mil discount mine was $117 and some change
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As soon as I have a place to do this that will not leave metal chips all over the kitchen floor.... 
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA27T3M?psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA27T3M?psc=1&&tag=vglnk-c102-20;tag=vglnk-c102-20
That is not a bad idea, I saw a pic where I guy made a trashbag was around his jig.

Seems like a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting; this is the first jig I've seen that I think I'd be comfortable using.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Who does  Military Type 3 Aluminon Anodeizing ? Like 80% finished lowers ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who does  Military Type 3 Aluminon Anodeizing ? Like 80% finished lowers ?
View Quote

If you find someone please let everyone know.

This is the only reason I have not bought this product or any 80% products.

The minute I have someone that will professionally anodize a completed 80% lower, I will buy one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you find someone please let everyone know.

This is the only reason I have not bought this product or any 80% products.

The minute I have someone that will professionally anodize a completed 80% lower, I will buy one.
View Quote
I have 12 extra factory lowers 

I like having lowers that have never been on a 4473.

my next project will be anodizing, doesn't seem to hard just a bit of trial and error.

I have been using anodized 80 lowers anyway. I have some aluminum black coming for the Milled out areas. 

I got two raw receivers to try and anodize, if they don't turn out like I want I will just duracoat them.

not like they will ever rust
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI - the DeWalt DWP611 router is currently $99 on Amazon...
Amazon Product
  • Durable 1.25hp motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
  • Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
  • Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut

Now how about that ARFCOM discount code @5DTactical ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my 5D jig in this week and started with a stripped lower. Must say this thing is too easy! Scored the Dewalt 611 for $60 new on Craigslist and had the Makita sitting just in case.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got my 5D jig in this week and started with a stripped lower. Must say this thing is too easy! Scored the Dewalt 611 for $60 new on Craigslist and had the Makita sitting just in case.
View Quote
We have rules here...where are the pics???
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sitting on a couple of "80%" lowers that I COULD complete on my mill, but I'm thinking that considering the time it takes to zero in the receiver on the mill I could be already finished with the 5D Tactical Jig.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, and waiting. Three weeks and counting....(to be fair they DID say 3-4 weeks)

Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?

I'm like a 5 yr old waiting for Christmas.
View Quote
Its worth the wait to no longer have to fill out a 4473 for a lower.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a few questions so here is a link to the written instructions 

5D instructions
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my shipment notification today!!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for your patience, gents! When she gets there, just remember to put it in slow so you don't hurt yourselves :).
View Quote

I'll try to be gentle since she's a virgin....
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey 5DT... I watched videos and read the instructions on milling and have a question. If my 80% lower's rear pocket is already milled properly from factory and fits my upper well, can't I just mill out the main pocket starting with your guide pin 2 set and follow the progressive depth guides you provide for both pin sets 1 and 2?

Didn't see this idea addressed  in videos or directions so thought I'd ask and do it on ARFCOM so other users of your jig could get the answer too.

Inquiring minds want to know....
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
It's Happy Dance  time!!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey 5DT... I watched videos and read the instructions on milling and have a question. If my 80% lower's rear pocket is already milled properly from factory and fits my upper well, can't I just mill out the main pocket starting with your guide pin 2 set and follow the progressive depth guides you provide for both pin sets 1 and 2?

Didn't see this idea addressed  in videos or directions so thought I'd ask and do it on ARFCOM so other users of your jig could get the answer too.

Inquiring minds want to know....
View Quote
Yea you drill the two pilot holes as per the instructions and start with the #2 pins. Now for the end mill depth you will need to use the #1 slot to set the endmill depth, once you finish all the passes then transition to the #2 slot on the jig for setting the end mill depth. if that doesn't make sense or you have any questions IM me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Let the fun begin

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
So, I got mine last Friday 3/10.  Here are a few things I would consider.  

1. I highly highly recommend putting multiple layers of masking or painters tape over the trigger/safety selector hole areas before drilling.  Also, blow out any debris before drilling them.  I scratched the crap out of the first one I did.  

2. If you are using a regular drill for the 2 starter holes, be EXTRA careful that you are going dead straight in on the #3 hole. If you go to the side even a little bit, your hole will be a bit too wide.

3. Make sure your collar is on TIGHT for that 3/8" hole Mine slipped and I went straight through the bottom of the lower. (Is this lower garbage??)

4. If you are using a lower with a fully integrated trigger guard, tape some sort of media down into the bottom of it.  3 lowers in a row, no matter how careful I was, I would drop the bit down into the guard.  It's makes a very small cosmetic ding, but still annoying for an OCD person.

5.  If you plan on doing more than 2 lowers, make sure you have extra 3/8" bits.  They don't last for more than 2.  It was squeaking like crazy while drilling through the safety holes.  I didn't even try it on the #2 hole on the next lower.  

6.  Wear a mask.  I did 5 lowers in one day.  I probably inhaled more aluminum and wd40 than I think would be safe to consume.  :)

I wish the drill guide were a half inch deeper.  It would help ensure that the drill were going in dead straight.  I have a slightly wide trigger pocket on 2 of my lowers because I wasn't dead straight.  2mm off is a big deal with the #3 hole.

This is my first 80% experience.  It was very very simple!!!  Awesome product.  Almost fool proof!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I really want the jig with the AR10 option but I will wait till the the inventor is such that they are ship with in 24hrs of purchase. Been down that pay and wait lane too many times......sometimes its no big deal and other times....

Looks like 5D has hit the mark on these from all the reviews.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Is there a way to save the lower that I drilled through the bottom of on the #2 hole?  Does it affect anything other than cosmetics?  Is it dangerously percussive through that hole or will it just make my finger dirty?  :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there a way to save the lower that I drilled through the bottom of on the #2 hole?  Does it affect anything other than cosmetics?  Is it dangerously percussive through that hole or will it just make my finger dirty?  :)
View Quote

Read on another  thread that JB Weld or Aluminum Putty can be used. Let it cure then re-mill the area. Paint touchup as needed...

Amazon Link

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Using a collar on the 3/8" bit for the starter hole is a depth guide and shouldn't be consider a stopping device. Its way too easy for them to slip when pressure is applied. A slow and steady approach including re-checking the collar position frequently helps. Also, I use a digital guage to compare hole depth to the guide template when I'm close to ensure I dont overshoot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you use this type of stop it WONT SLIP...it's called a split collar.

https://i.imgur.com/152cHjt.jpg
View Quote
I've been looking at ones like this.

Do you have a suggestion as to which brand to buy?
There are so many that are rated low for various reasons - usually because of the set screw.

Also, any suggestions as to ones that only have one screw to tighten?
I was looking at the Big Horn #19123 set on Amazon, but it seems to have its problems, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We will do something special for the ARFCOM faithful. Promise!
View Quote
2 months later, have you folks had a chance to put together an ARFCOM special?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wellll....where there's a will, there's a way....

My $30 prototype... catches 99% of the chips. Refinements in progress...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd buy one if I could find a place to anodize type III hard coat the receivers....
View Quote
US Anodizing 

Synergy Metal Finishing 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#41]
What speed setting do you recommend on the dp611?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
IIRC, U.S. Anodizing will no longer accept "80%" Lowers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
US Anodizing 

Synergy Metal Finishing 
IIRC, U.S. Anodizing will no longer accept "80%" Lowers
I thought they no longer accepted lowers with faux sear pin engraving due to the ATF confiscation.
Sometimes the stop accepting individual orders to have the time and space to complete contracts/large manufacturing orders 

Synergy would be my go-to. Fast turn around, fast replies, and cheaper than US Anodizing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I just bought a used Router off of Craig's list for 40.00. It is fairly new, I made a few passes through wood with it, works just fine.
I have seen several in Pawn shops, too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wellll....where there's a will, there's a way....
My $30 prototype... catches 99% of the chips. Refinements in progress...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/IMG-5933-168385.JPG
View Quote
@RoadieWingZ I'm looking forward to more details on your enclosure!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#50]
FYI.... Sears is selling the Dewalt 611 router for $99 right now...
Attachment Attached File

I just ordered one from them after seeing Amazon price went back up to $128. I used a new Ridgid 2401 for my first lower but am gonna try the Dewalt for comparison as I noticed a couple issues while using the Ridgid that made me go hmmm..
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top