Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2016 12:05:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yawn. Let me know when the middy version come out (No interest in the idiotic M4 carbine "m203 notch" cut barrel). Actually.. let me know when the pencil middy version come out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
What he said. ^
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yawn. Let me know when the middy version come out (No interest in the idiotic M4 carbine "m203 notch" cut barrel). Actually.. let me know when the pencil middy version come out.
View Quote

Agreed. Zero interest in M4 profile, but would love to see the middy pencil in a hammer forged nitrided
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

With a nitride bcg and fire control.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed. Zero interest in M4 profile, but would love to see the middy pencil in a hammer forged nitrided
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah baby! 16 inch middie, skinny barrel. Melonite bcg and fire control group would be great.  I'd buy one of those barrels in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one of these delivered this week.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-223-wylde-midlength-1-7-lightweight-mlok-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the barrel in this kit a step down from the cold hammer forged barrels in other uppers I see advertised on PSAs site? Some say cold hammer forged, vs. hammer forged.

Some also say machine gun steel vs. this barrel which is chrome vandium.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the barrel in this kit a step down from the cold hammer forged barrels in other uppers I see advertised on PSAs site? Some say cold hammer forged, vs. hammer forged.
View Quote

Chrome Vandium (CMV ChromeMoly Vandium) is 4150. Good stuff. FN will not disclose what their "machine gun steel" is (proprietary), but 4150 would be a safe bet for it.
PSA's (this) version is different as it's not a chrome lined CHF barrel... it's a nitride CHF barrel (first I've heard of). Nitride surface hardens the steel (which accounts for the wear resistance), but PSA is CHF'ing theirs which would provide both surface hardening, AND through hardening (via the CHF process). Is it better?... probably not, unless you use your barrel as a pry bar (since only surface and bore hardening matter for shooting, but through hardening would increase overall barrel strength for ?).... but any added durability is a good thing for consumers.
But again... M4 barrel?? So last decade. Little interest. Midlength pencil is where it's at these days. People are tired of the "Gov't profile" with it's useless front heavy profile (let alone the ridiculous M4 profile barrel), and have (finally) woken up to midlength pencil (the original design) barrels.
I applaud PSA for it's innovation (combining CHF with Nitride is covering all bases), but skip the 90's stuff and get straight to the midlength pencil.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
^^ Thx for the explanation!
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Palmetto state Armory is proud to announce the newest addition to our Freedom line:  the Freedom Hammer Forged Nitride M4 Rifle kit!  

The PSA Freedom series has earned a reputation as a reliable and affordable option for the AR15 platform.  Now the durability and accuracy of a hammer forged barrel is available in the  Freedom line of uppers.  

Barrel: 16" 4150V Chrome moly vanadium steel, hammer forged and nitride finished for accuracy and durability.   Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. Barrel is is finished off with classic carbine-length handguards, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.

Upper:
Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt Carrier Group:
High pressure tested and mag particle inspected, shot-peened carpenter 158 steel bolt, phosphate finished.  8620 steel, heavy profile steel carrier, chrome lined and phosphate coated.  Chrome lined and phosphate coated gas key is properly staked with grade 8 bolts.  Includes charging handle.

Lower Build Kit: Includes Mil-Spec classic stock, A2 grip, and Palmetto State Armory Freedom Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter buffer tube assembly. Everything you need to finish your stripped lower!

Click here to purchase

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/7/77932416.jpg
View Quote

Let me know when you have it in 14.5
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Palmetto state Armory is proud to announce the newest addition to our Freedom line:  the Freedom Hammer Forged Nitride M4 Rifle kit!  

The PSA Freedom series has earned a reputation as a reliable and affordable option for the AR15 platform.  Now the durability and accuracy of a hammer forged barrel is available in the  Freedom line of uppers.  

Barrel: 16" 4150V Chrome moly vanadium steel, hammer forged and nitride finished for accuracy and durability.   Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. Barrel is is finished off with classic carbine-length handguards, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.

Upper:
Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt Carrier Group:
High pressure tested and mag particle inspected, shot-peened carpenter 158 steel bolt, phosphate finished.  8620 steel, heavy profile steel carrier, chrome lined and phosphate coated.  Chrome lined and phosphate coated gas key is properly staked with grade 8 bolts.  Includes charging handle.

Lower Build Kit: Includes Mil-Spec classic stock, A2 grip, and Palmetto State Armory Freedom Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter buffer tube assembly. Everything you need to finish your stripped lower!

Click here to purchase

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/7/77932416.jpg

14.7", since then they can use a standard A2 birdcage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Chrome Vandium (CMV ChromeMoly Vandium) is 4150. Good stuff. FN will not disclose what their "machine gun steel" is (proprietary), but 4150 would be a safe bet for it.
PSA's (this) version is different as it's not a chrome lined CHF barrel... it's a nitride CHF barrel (first I've heard of). Nitride surface hardens the steel (which accounts for the wear resistance), but PSA is CHF'ing theirs which would provide both surface hardening, AND through hardening (via the CHF process). Is it better?... probably not, unless you use your barrel as a pry bar (since only surface and bore hardening matter for shooting, but through hardening would increase overall barrel strength for ?).... but any added durability is a good thing for consumers.
But again... M4 barrel?? So last decade. Little interest. Midlength pencil is where it's at these days. People are tired of the "Gov't profile" with it's useless front heavy profile (let alone the ridiculous M4 profile barrel), and have (finally) woken up to midlength pencil (the original design) barrels.
I applaud PSA for it's innovation (combining CHF with Nitride is covering all bases), but skip the 90's stuff and get straight to the midlength pencil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think LWRC has been CHFing nitriding for a very long time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for mid- length pencil
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me know if you need a review
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys absolutely Blow Me Away.  The price of your AR kits - inflation adjusted, is 1/3 what I've paid for comparable quality (at best) when I got into the game (inflation adjusted).   You are a public service.

I will echo what many others have said here.  A pinned Carbine 14.7 is past due.  Well past due.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys absolutely Blow Me Away.  The price of your AR kits - inflation adjusted, is 1/3 what I've paid for comparable quality (at best) when I got into the game (inflation adjusted).   You are a public service.

I will echo what many others have said here.  A pinned Carbine 14.7 is past due.  Well past due.
View Quote

here here. I never see pinned 14.7 on there anymore
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a pinned 14.7 on their website as of this moment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the CHF M4 profile
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Let me know if you need a review
View Quote

Nice...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense offered nitrided CHF barrels at one point.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Unless you are throwing in the 203 with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Agreed, I would like a middy also
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I see you now offer a 14.7 middy CHF/Nitride Gov't barrel (great!), but will you offer a 16" CHF/Nitride middy PENCIL barrel? That's the one I (and I'm sure, many others) are waiting for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#26]
There are, I think, 2 different 14.7" uppers.
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top