BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2015 12:44:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I give up, what's the point of the "rail extension system"? Looks like a good way for people to blow up whatever they hang off the end of it
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I give up, what's the point of the "rail extension system"? Looks like a good way for people to blow up whatever they hang off the end of it
View Quote

I agree, that's kinda odd. I do like it however, but not interested in the extended rail section.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont get it

Why not make it kemod or mlok?

300 for a rail...

That rail extension
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll go great with their $270 BCG.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The bcg is actually very nice, and extremely well made. I haven't used one yet, but got to fondle one the other day. I'm currently trying to part out my upper now to build a new one using their upper and bcg.

As for being mlok or keymod, who cares? Are you really going to be swapping gadgets that much to need the key mod? Are screws really that difficult you need the mlok? I'll agree, they are pretty nifty, but are they really any better than using rails? To me, not really at all.

If I'm mounting something, odds are, it's not coming back off. The keymod stuff out there looks boring, plain Jane, and like little peckers. That can't be unseen. The mlok, is a much cleaner design, more aesthetically pleasing, but not really beneficial unless you plan on switching gadgets frequently.

Your optics, most likely will be in a mount, that is then mounted to a rail or direct via mlok or keymod. In my opinion, the only real benefit is weight savings, and that's a moot point for me. These things don't weigh much as it is, this whole ounces is pounds thing is kinda pointless. This is my sole opinion, and am not trying to say who's right or wrong. Just giving my chump change on the matter.

I like it, the tail extension is kind of a dumb idea. I don't see any point in mounting ANYTHING above your muzzle.

What I'm surprised is Lantac is not using their own mounting method they hinted at releasing. Same concept as mlok or keymod, but with a more intricate bolt/nut design. I saw it months back on ar15news.com, ill try and hunt it down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The bcg is actually very nice, and extremely well made. I haven't used one yet, but got to fondle one the other day. I'm currently trying to part out my upper now to build a new one using their upper and bcg.

As for being mlok or keymod, who cares? Are you really going to be swapping gadgets that much to need the key mod? Are screws really that difficult you need the mlok? I'll agree, they are pretty nifty, but are they really any better than using rails? To me, not really at all.

If I'm mounting something, odds are, it's not coming back off. The keymod stuff out there looks boring, plain Jane, and like little peckers. That can't be unseen. The mlok, is a much cleaner design, more aesthetically pleasing, but not really beneficial unless you plan on switching gadgets frequently.

Your optics, most likely will be in a mount, that is then mounted to a rail or direct via mlok or keymod. In my opinion, the only real benefit is weight savings, and that's a moot point for me. These things don't weigh much as it is, this whole ounces is pounds thing is kinda pointless. This is my sole opinion, and am not trying to say who's right or wrong. Just giving my chump change on the matter.

I like it, the tail extension is kind of a dumb idea. I don't see any point in mounting ANYTHING above your muzzle.

What I'm surprised is Lantac is not using their own mounting method they hinted at releasing. Same concept as mlok or keymod, but with a more intricate bolt/nut design. I saw it months back on ar15news.com, ill try and hunt it down.
View Quote

For a 300$ rail, is it too much to ask for an already common mounting system, that also reduces weight?

The whole ounces is pounds is kinda pointless?

K.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you don't have to use sight black on your front sight.  It's auto blackened.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]

For a 300$ rail, is it too much to ask for an already common mounting system, that also reduces weight?

The whole ounces is pounds is kinda pointless?

K.
View Quote

I can agree with the price and common mounts. I was thinking these were the same as the CMR type, but i think they are different all together.

And yes, the ounces is pounds thing is pointless, to me. Sure, i think all the lightweight stuff is pretty cool, lots of trial and error, different machining, etc etc. That stuff is impressive, sure. But i really don't see the point when a decent equipped M4/AR15 is around 8 or 9lbs, i don't see that as a problem.

Take a soldier equipped for combat for example. They carry around 80# of gear including their weapon. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Most of the time less, saving 1.5lbs on your rifle isn't going to make a big enough difference to notice when you got all the other gear.

Now, if you're ONLY carrying you rifle, with minimal magazines, your load is going to be less than 15lbs. I'm imagining five 30rd mags, with one in the weapon for a total of six mags. No gear, just clothing. I still don't see those minimal weight savings to be beneficial with how much it costs.

If it's for competition, 3 gun, running and gunning type stuff, then sure. A lightweight AR15 is easier to handle and control, no argument there. But the cost involved outweighs the benefit of eight savings. However, i can see this being a sort of placebo effect. Having the lightweight feel, gives you the feeling of being more in control of your rifle, giving you the boost of confidence to do better, and then you do.

Again, this is my opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree. I've shot a 7lb AR15, sure it was fun, it just didn't "feel" any better than my 9lb ar15. Recoil was actually less on my gun, but i had a heavier buffer system. I like my rifles to have some heft, that's my personal preference.

If you like the feather weight stuff, have it at. I don't, so I'll stick with the obese stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems to be too close for comfort. The blast and concussion from muzzle breaks certainly has the possibility of damaging things hanging above it.

I assume the light pictured in the OP is offset, this would put it almost directly in line with the blast from just about every muzzle device. Especially an A2 flash hider.

I remember seeing this pictured with the blast shield they are supposed to release soon. Maybe you're supposed to use the blast shield and extension in tandem, and possible damage could arise if the extension is used without the shield?

Of course all this only matters if used as pictured. With a shorter barrel, 15" rail with 16" barrel, so on and so forth.

With the uppers pictured in the last picture, both uppers with lights mounted seem the lights will have s good chance of being damaged. The last picture, the light is just about flush with the first port of the muzzle brake. This will certainly damage the light, might just be cosmetic damage, or the concussion could crack the lens, fuck with the circuitry, how are these not a concern? The one surefire light I've had, was inoperable after one short drop off my work bench. It was a hand held combat light, can't recall the exact model, but it's discontinued. Anyways, the circuit in the switch got fried and would only strobe, and could not be turned off unless you removed the batteries.

That tells me the circuitry is not very durable. Maybe it was just that one light, but i still wouldn't want to put a $200+ weapon light right above or next to a muzzle break. Barrel shadow be damned, you can do an offset mount and get the same effect. Without putting your light in the line of fire.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, the point of it is so there is zero barrel shadowing off a light.  

This isn't difficult stuff here guys, this is pretty common knowledge.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people just have no imagination Stickman. Personally I think it's a clever idea. I assume the extension is made of aluminum which should be adequate to shield the blast from the top ports on a comp.  In my book Lantac always gets an A+ for their creativity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have been here 6 years, and really believe that?  

For anyone else who is unaware, this is incorrect information.  You aren't going to blow up what you hang off the end of the rail, which for most people would be a X300 or similar light.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have been here 6 years, and really believe that?  

For anyone else who is unaware, this is incorrect information.  You aren't going to blow up what you hang off the end of the rail, which for most people would be a X300 or similar light.  

Not completely unheard-of

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Price point gives me pause lol. Rail extension looks interesting, but am struggling to see what the usage would be applicable to. Daring, I suppose. We'll see how this pans out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So common that absolutely nobody is actually using a rail that sticks out past the muzzle?  These were announced over a year ago (May 2014) and are just now coming out. In that time nobody else has jumped up realizing that it's such a great idea.

Sorry I don't subscribe to the "anything from Rainier or Stickman is awesome" tribe.

Sure it might be a good idea in theory but as shown above and in other places, aluminum in the line of a blast port is not a good idea and WILL be destroyed.

Look at this picture:

Those two top facing ports are directly underneath the rail hanging off the end. It won't take long, especially if it's a shorter barrel, for that rail to become damage or destroyed from the pressure and heat of the muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys, the extended rail is nothing new.

Larue has been making their "gooseneck" rail for YEARS.

Larue "Gooseneck"
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys, the extended rail is nothing new.

Larue has been making their "gooseneck" rail for YEARS.

Larue "Gooseneck"
View Quote

You're correct, that was also before the new "craze" of having your handguard as long as your barrel. Mostly used just to cover the gas block for a longer sight radius, not to cover the muzzle.

That's the point I'm getting at. Covering your muzzle like that is never a good thing. This seems to be only for looks, which im sure StickMan will take some very nice photos of.

The risk outweighs the benefit to me. You put your light in harms way to avoid a bit of shadow? Not worth it to me, mount your light somewhere else to move the shadow. But if you like wasting money, to each their own.

I still like the rail, and see the benefit of the extension if used properly. By that, i mean not hanging directly over the muzzle. I also don't like these handguards being 1" shorter than the barrel, looks goofy to me.

Kids and their fads
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The risk outweighs the benefit to me. You put your light in harms way to avoid a bit of shadow? Not worth it to me, mount your light somewhere else to move the shadow. But if you like wasting money, to each their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are plenty of people on here with bipods or lights handing over the flashider/comp without any problems.

Quoted:
Look at this picture:
http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/ce5/lantac-spada-s-freefloat-handguard-15-coming-soon-spada-s-15-freefloat-handguard-by-lantac-e51.jpg

Those two top facing ports are directly underneath the rail hanging off the end. It won't take long, especially if it's a shorter barrel, for that rail to become damage or destroyed from the pressure and heat of the muzzle blast.

Actually, those ports are not on the top of the brake, they're off-center (and there are two on the other side).

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks interesting, but like others have mentioned, why no common mounting system already in use?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm waiting for any info about the BMD. Lantac never seems to answer anyone's questions about it on FB or Twitter. This item is clearly designed to be ideally used with the BMD which I then think it's a fantastic package. Really though how can it be this hard to keep people updated on a little blast cone. We aren't reinventing the airplane here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have been here over six years and you seriously believe that wasn't sarcasm? Barrel shadows are terrible.
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top