AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2015 1:43:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
What do the barrel nuts weigh?
And didn't I read somewhere that they can be installed using Magpul's armors wrench?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
With reamers like that, you could make a thumbhole stock or even a complete wooden stock/lower.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait for these to hit the shop and build the demo rifle!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That's some damn fine looking machining.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Those covers that you have on the MLOK rail of that SBR, are they available in Keymod, too?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, these look awesome!  I don't care for the cutouts in the top of every rail but that's just preference.  I understand every gram you can save adds up.

On the 15" versions what's the deal with section that has "sides" at about the 12" mark?  Gas block heat shield?  Strength?  Just curious.  Thanks.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
These look really nice!

What's the part in red for?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Any chance we might see these in 9 or 10"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys are on a roll. Awesome rail.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I like it, keep comming with your great looking products!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...

Awesome. 2 of my SBR's run BCM KMR's, but I really like the look and weights on your rails. I have a 3rd SBR that has a temporary rail and I'd love to put one of yours on, but it'd have to be 9 or 10".
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Those look very nice.  I will have to try one out.  Hopefully the Ti was made by the company I work for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...

11" or 10" would be sweet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Any reason the titanium is the standard instead of the aluminum?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#20]
So with the aluminum nut the 15" is less than an ounce heavier than the BCM KMR and without using magnesium alloy.  Impressive.  And it looks like it wouldn't be hard for a somewhat skilled individual to make that ounce disappear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#21]
The titanium nut has to cost at least double what the aluminum costs. The material cost is at least double and the machine time is at least double. If we choose the aluminum and you keep the titanium the total should be less right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So with the aluminum nut the 15" is less than an ounce heavier than the BCM KMR and without using magnesium alloy.  Impressive.  And it looks like it wouldn't be hard for a somewhat skilled individual to make that ounce disappear.
View Quote

Agreed. I honestly would think this would make the KMR much less attractive except to the ultr-lightweight crowd.
Price, weight, looks all very attractive, I'll be looking very hard at 2A for a handguard for my current build
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

All our vendors and individuals we talked to just couldn't get past the mind game of using an aluminum nut. We of course realize that the thread relief at the receiver face is the most likely point of failure, not the nut in any case. But....  It's hard to get past that with a lot of folks, so we decided to ship it with the titanium nut.

The Ti nut installs real nice! the threads are kinda gummy so it times very nicely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The titanium nut has to cost at least double what the aluminum costs. The material cost is at least double and the machine time is at least double. If we choose the aluminum and you keep the titanium the total should be less right?

All our vendors and individuals we talked to just couldn't get past the mind game of using an aluminum nut. We of course realize that the thread relief at the receiver face is the most likely point of failure, not the nut in any case. But....  It's hard to get past that with a lot of folks, so we decided to ship it with the titanium nut.

The Ti nut installs real nice! the threads are kinda gummy so it times very nicely.

So how much torque should be applied to the aluminum barrel nut during installation and should it be lapped onto the receiver threads? Was there any material displacement when torquing the barrel nut on its threads?

Curious, why keymod .2oz heavier? Though, I suppose it is a wash if you factor in the weight of attaching a .3oz M-lok QD socket from Arisaka Defense to the m-lok rail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Agreed. I honestly would think this would make the KMR much less attractive except to the ultr-lightweight crowd.
Price, weight, looks all very attractive, I'll be looking very hard at 2A for a handguard for my current build
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except BCMs steel barrel nut is .1oz lighter than the 2AA Ti barrel nut, and then you have V7 Weapon Systems Ti BCM KMR barrel nut at .8oz lighter than the Ti 2AA. I don't mean to bag on the 2A A piece as I have a 7" on preorder and it sure looks like a great piece, I just mean that as far as lightweight goes BCM KMR is still king with an experimental design to boot (no having to talk yourself into an aluminum barrel nut). Too bad they are dragging their feet on a 7" KMR but this 7" 2A A rail will have a welcome place next to its matching recievers and is lighter still than its current competition, both the SLR Rifleworks 7" ultralight and the 7" NSR are heavier.

The M-Lok version sure is perfectly paired for the astehtic reliefs of the recievers, IMO. The keymod kind of looks "meh" in comparison.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#26]
BCM's steel barrel nut is not lighter than the 2A.  Listed weight for BCM is 2.2 ounces.  2A is 1.75 for the Ti.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BCM's steel barrel nut is not lighter than the 2A.  Listed weight for BCM is 2.2 ounces.  2A is 1.75 for the Ti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BCM KMR steel barrel nut weighs 1.6oz. The rest of the hardware actually weighs .75oz for a total of 2.35oz with nut (their spec is .15oz off on the two sets of hardware I weighed). V7WS Ti KMR barrel nut weighs exactly .9oz as is advertised. You are right to look at the total weight of mounting hardware involved but I think the weights given at the beginning of the thread in answer to my question were the barrel nuts only. So the comparison is apples to apples there, but now k am curious what do the 2A A mounting bolts weigh?

Quoted:
The Magnesialuminum or whatever BCM is using is very light! It's hard to even come close to that with a traditional 6061 extrusion as a start. The M-Lok version is lighter because of the inlets around the M-Lok holes. this adds a ton of machine time, and that's why the price is where it's at. The Keymod isn't machined around the mounting holes like the M-Lok is, and they are prices less to accommodate.

We are not trying to be the absolute forefront of lightweight, but we want to be light... high quality.. and decent looking. We will give all three a good swing as much as we can within our budget!

Ah, now I see it, that is indeed the difference that makes the m-lok rail more visually appealing IMO. I think you knocked it out of the park with this rail, i'll be surprised if one day the KMR rail is beat for weight but yours is possibly the closest yet to rivaling it. I belive it is the lightest option for 7" rails and it looks so good with your recievers too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
You should do an extra light version that doesn't have a full length 12 o clock rail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You should do an extra light version that doesn't have a full length 12 o clock rail.
View Quote

This is what im hoping for. I suggested it in the receiver (wrong) thread. So +1 here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Integral QD mounts too, that would negate the weight advantage of the KMR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good chance, yes...

I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Where are the pics of the keymod rails?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Integral QD mounts too, that would negate the weight advantage of the KMR.
View Quote

For sure this, loose an MLOK slot and give me a QD point at the far end, again similar to MI style but with the great looks of your design.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh I gotta order one of these!!!! Me likey ??
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to remind people that the threads on the upper are made of aluminum...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Got the demo rifle for the shop's AR Build class built. Boom.

5.76 lbs with a M4 profile barrel. Estimated 5.15 lbs after I get the pencil barrel in.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Got my 2a key mod rail in last week from vertex ops. It looks great on the gun. Kind of wish I did the m lock, I am at 4 lb 11 oz. I am using the aluminum barrel nut on the 12 rail. 2A stuff is bad ass.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't see the keymod rails on your site. I would be interested in a 12 inch model.

EDIT: Disregard. Found them on the dealers' sites. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#42]
How close are we to seeing a 9" M-Lock?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How close are we to seeing a 9" M-Lock?

Thanks
View Quote

This. As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm in need of a shorty for an SBR upper with a barrel I'm testing for another manufacturer. Handguard is the only item missing right now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am working on it.

We ended up shipping everything we had, so now I don't have a production sample to take pictures of.

Here is a picture of the 15" KeyMod on a full rifle we built for SOLAR Tactical.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GocnmgDpwnA/VPeGJAYstMI/AAAAAAAAANE/rqp5qBvRPZQ/w0-h0-no/IMAG0657.jpg

Here is all three KeyMod Rails.  Cell phone pic for now.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-h9hknRvuO7w/VPeHqQBNfWI/AAAAAAAAANY/UX7hAIlywgg/w0-h0-no/IMAG0662.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are the pics of the keymod rails?

I am working on it.

We ended up shipping everything we had, so now I don't have a production sample to take pictures of.

Here is a picture of the 15" KeyMod on a full rifle we built for SOLAR Tactical.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GocnmgDpwnA/VPeGJAYstMI/AAAAAAAAANE/rqp5qBvRPZQ/w0-h0-no/IMAG0657.jpg

Here is all three KeyMod Rails.  Cell phone pic for now.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-h9hknRvuO7w/VPeHqQBNfWI/AAAAAAAAANY/UX7hAIlywgg/w0-h0-no/IMAG0662.jpg

What trigger are you guys using?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#47]
That is a good looking rail. What is the external  width and height?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It will be a couple months out is my guess. We need to catch up to whats behind before we make the hole deeper!

Ryan
View Quote

+1 on the 9" request. Maybe with a QD socket(s) and shaved off rail?

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got the demo rifle for the shop's AR Build class built. Boom.

5.76 lbs with a M4 profile barrel. Estimated 5.15 lbs after I get the pencil barrel in.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11031139_10101430740421602_8077089883797659639_n.jpg?oh=83bbd4d4eadd588fef81d4fa06be5c9d&oe=557BC520
View Quote

Details on this build?  I'd like to duplicate it.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top