AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What length barrel would anyone like to see on an SBR/Pistol version of the Mk47?
View Quote

10.5 and make it M-LOK.

I was impressed with the select fire version at SHOT. I got one for the shop that's generated some interest.

I did have a guy manage to get a mag stuck in it because he didn't rock it in yesterday.... I have to remove the may release to get the mag out...
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If they get mag-locked, you can usually slap the front of the magazine back towards the trigger guard to release it.
View Quote

I pulled about every direction I could. I'll keep that tip in mind for next time though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

10.5 and make it M-LOK.

I was impressed with the select fire version at SHOT. I got one for the shop that's generated some interest.

I did have a guy manage to get a mag stuck in it because he didn't rock it in yesterday.... I have to remove the may release to get the mag out...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What length barrel would anyone like to see on an SBR/Pistol version of the Mk47?

10.5 and make it M-LOK.

Totally agree 10.5 with M-LOK...and please think about side charging handle, seem to only make sense with no bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Totally agree 10.5 with M-LOK...and please think about side charging handle, seem to only make sense with no bolt hold open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10.5 and make it M-LOK.

I would be in for an 8-10.5".  Also, Keymod and M-lok models would be great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Side charging, or lack thereof, is what's keeping me from buying this thing. AR charging handles are awkward.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's arfcom after all, nothing less than a tough crowd is the norm here

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus you guy's are tough.

Awesome job CCMG. Its no easy take bringing a new rifle to market.

I'll be first in line to scoop this up!

It's arfcom after all, nothing less than a tough crowd is the norm here

I think that is why some manufactures come here. They don't want the sugar coating the gun rags put out to be the only reviews, and seek some objective abuse, er, constructive criticism, ya that's it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up one of the AKM models and really like it. One thing I did notice is that it works great with the couple of magpul AK mags that I have but the three circle 10 k-var magazines I have don't fit into the magwell at all, they appear to be too thick on the top. I figured CMMG would have tested those magazines as well since they are so popular..or maybe my magwell is just out of spec, not sure. But it shoots really nice and I had better accuracy than my regular AK which was a nice surpise. I didn't buy it to replace an AK but just as a rifle that shoots that great 7.62 round and has the AR15 ergonomics which are so great. So pick one up and enjoy!

As for the circle 10 mags, CMMG feel free to contact me or comment if you guys did test them as well.

Take care.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe a way to make it work with VZ58 magazines for those that want similar function to an AR(bolt-hold using the catch instead of the follower)?  Either way, I do love the concept, but either a LRBHO or side-charging handle would make this much nicer.  

I've also seen mag-well adapters for the VZ-58 5.56mm that allows the use of "AR-15"/STANAG style magazines; so maybe something similar to that that allows the use of Stoner 7.62x39 mags or similar?  Not sure of the difference between the x39 and regular 5.56 mags, but maybe that means the lower can be modified to work with regular 5.56 uppers?  I guess I've been heavily influenced by the modular Colt rifles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you put out a future version with a side charging handle or other upgrades, please make them backwards compatible for those like me who have their MK47 in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very interested in buying one of these but I have a few questions:

1. Can you use different AR charging handles such as a Bravo Company and if so, .223 or .308?

2. Would .223 iron sights be accurate with this rifle, thinking of midway or troy fold down irons?

3. What do you guys think about the long term effects of shooting steel cased ammo as far as wearing goes on an aluminum receiver?  I wouldn't be shooting  thousands of rounds out of it but if one did what would the wear issues be from the steel on aluminum contact be?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if that lower would work on a Faxon upper. They make an upper for that caliber now. Now that would be a real hybrid.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They worked fine so far with brass and steel cased that Hickok45 did a review of:

http://youtu.be/xe48LfRMkt0?list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don't like the idea of a gas tube instead of a piston. 5.56 can dirty up an ar pretty bad as is. Just think of how bad dirty steel case ammo is going to be.
They worked fine so far with brass and steel cased that Hickok45 did a review of:

http://youtu.be/xe48LfRMkt0?list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg

Does anyone else think its funny that he mounted the MBUS backwards?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1. Can you use different AR charging handles such as a Bravo Company and if so, .223 or .308?

No, the BCG is sized between a .223 and .308; the Mk47 charging handle is proprietary to it. You can replace the latch on the stock charging handle or wait and hope that another company makes a replacement one.

2. Would .223 iron sights be accurate with this rifle, thinking of midway or troy fold down irons?

You should be able to use any iron sights with this rifle. I've never heard of iron sights being calibrated for a specific caliber. I wouldn't use a .223 ACOG personally. They make a 7.62x39 specific ACOG.

3. What do you guys think about the long term effects of shooting steel cased ammo as far as wearing goes on an aluminum receiver?  I wouldn't be shooting  thousands of rounds out of it but if one did what would the wear issues be from the steel on aluminum contact be?

The receiver shouldn't have any impact on using steel cased ammo. As the ammo only interacts with the bolt, chamber and barrel. If you're referring to using steel mags in an aluminum receiver, CMMG has a steel pin for the mags to latch on to so as to prevent receiver wear.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the BCG is sized between a .223 and .308; the Mk47 charging handle is proprietary to it. You can replace the latch on the stock charging handle or wait and hope that another company makes a replacement one.

You should be able to use any iron sights with this rifle. I've never heard of iron sights being calibrated for a specific caliber. I wouldn't use a .223 ACOG personally. They make a 7.62x39 specific ACOG.

The receiver shouldn't have any impact on using steel cased ammo. As the ammo only interacts with the bolt, chamber and barrel. If you're referring to using steel mags in an aluminum receiver, CMMG has a steel pin for the mags to latch on to so as to prevent receiver wear.

Hope that helps.

Yeah that helps thanks.  So I can Frankenstein a bravo company latch on the cmmg charging handle?

Also if you look, Midwest industries sells .308 caliber specific back up iron sights that's why I was asking.  I don't know exactly what difference it makes between those and the .223 ones that they sell.

That's good to know about the steel pin for the mag latch but I was wondering if there was any contact with the steel casing and the receiver, I guess it makes sense about what you said.  Do you think after a shit ton of rounds the deflector will wear?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah that helps thanks.  So I can Frankenstein a bravo company latch on the cmmg charging handle?

You would have to cut a .308 latch down to fit properly from my understanding

Also if you look, Midwest industries sells .308 caliber specific back up iron sights that's why I was asking.  I don't know exactly what difference it makes between those and the .223 ones that they sell.

That's good to know about the steel pin for the mag latch but I was wondering if there was any contact with the steel casing and the receiver, I guess it makes sense about what you said.  Do you think after a shit ton of rounds the deflector will wear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps.

You would have to cut a .308 latch down to fit properly from my understanding

You would have to cut a .308 latch down to fit properly from my understanding. I can't see this working out well unless you are good at machining. If so, let me know because I'll buy a converted charging handle off of you.

As for the deflector, I can't see that ever being worn down from using steel cases ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Mrgunsandgear,

I recall you did a video where this rifle performed less than optimal. Did CMMG address the problem you encountered?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mrgunsandgear,

I recall you did a video where this rifle performed less than optimal. Did CMMG address the problem you encountered?
View Quote

I had the same reservations until they answered that exact question for me:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_145/258173_CMMG_Mk47_Mutant_is_now_available_.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Out of curiosity, why didn't CMMG shorten their AR10 bolt to the length of an AR15. I understand why they shortened it, but why not take it a step further and shorten an AR10 bolt to an AR15 length so as to allow the use of standard length AR15 charging handles?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Another 1k test

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
For the rest of us, should we be concerned that our rifles do not have this new compound on the gas block? Does CMMG advise sending them back?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I got mine the other day. I haven't shot it yet but it looks real nice. One thing I noticed, the compensator is screwed on tight but the cut outs aren't at 3'oclock and 9 or 12 and 6. They're at 11 and 5. Is this okay? Should they line up side to side or up and down? Other than that it looks and feels great. I ordered some sights and rail covers and will probably get it out next week. I'll definitely update with a range report. Also when did cmmg put the better lock tite on the gas block? My serial number is just shy of 300. Any answers to these questions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Pretty impressive. Probably would have ran 100% without those Tapco mags in the mix.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
ETA on SBR rifles?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the side charging handle.  I love mine though just the way it is, it rides in the car with me.  Very accurate, suppresses nicely, fun to shoot and yes it's dirty with steel ammo or running suppressed.  I have not tried sub-sonic ammo, I have the cases, powder but I'm waiting on the bullets.  Subs run just fine in the Sig 556R pistol at least the 7 that a friend loaded for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Within six months on short barrels.
View Quote

Thanks.  Great news.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#29]
So far mine has been reliable, with PMAGs.  The only complaint is the carrier key needed a bit of stoning to get out of the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I am loving the advertising!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I completely agree. The ad is rather misleading. The reliability of the AK platform has nothing to do with the round it fires. The reliability comes from the piston system (and loose tolerances, some might argue). It's a rifle with the ergonomics, accuracy and reliability of an AR platform. The only thing the Mutant takes from the AK are the magazines and the round chambered. It's a .30 cal AR-15 basically. A slightly cheaper (although only in ammo prices) alternative to a .300 Blackout AR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Unfortunately, the lowers are proprietary. When I saw this I was more excited about getting the lower and putting on a PWS or Faxon Arms upper. That way you would have a true hybrid with AR-style ergonomics, accuracy and modularity (rail space) and an AK-style long stroke piston operating system, as well as .30 cal rounds that are a lot cheaper than .300 Blackout. To me, that would really be bringing together the best parts of the AR and the AK. The Mk47 is more of a 7.62x39 chambered AR that fixes a few flaws of previous conversion attempts (thin-walled bolt faces and crappy mags), than a new system that really blends the best features of the AR and the AK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, the lowers are proprietary. When I saw this I was more excited about getting the lower and putting on a PWS or Faxon Arms upper. That way you would have a true hybrid with AR-style ergonomics, accuracy and modularity (rail space) and an AK-style long stroke piston operating system, as well as .30 cal rounds that are a lot cheaper than .300 Blackout. To me, that would really be bringing together the best parts of the AR and the AK. The Mk47 is more of a 7.62x39 chambered AR that fixes a few flaws of previous conversion attempts (thin-walled bolt faces and crappy mags), than a new system that really blends the best features of the AR and the AK.
View Quote

The issue with that is then you wouldn't have the ability to use the modified .308 BCG, which solves a major reliability and longevity issues that are inherent in the other designed that try to fit the 7.62x39 round into a standard AR15 platform.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I completely agree. The ad is rather misleading. The reliability of the AK platform has nothing to do with the round it fires. The reliability comes from the piston system (and loose tolerances, some might argue). It's a rifle with the ergonomics, accuracy and reliability of an AR platform. The only thing the Mutant takes from the AK are the magazines and the round chambered. It's a .30 cal AR-15 basically. A slightly cheaper (although only in ammo prices) alternative to a .300 Blackout AR.
View Quote
I'd argue that the round it fires makes difference in the reliability, the generous taper of the 7.62x39mm case helps feeding and extraction quite a bit.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I would like one but I am not a fan of the extra long rail. I'd prefer an option for a 10 inch rail.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Made a few changes to my MK47:

-Midwest Industries 308 Keymod rail DPMS High pattern
-Black Rain/Syrac Ordnance Gen II Adjustable clamp-on melonited gas block
-Spike's melonited gas tube
-PWS FSC30 brake
-CMC 3.5 Drop in trigger with KNS pins
-YHM extended charging handle latch
-ADK Arms ambi short throw safety
-POF 308 roller cam pin for the BCG (to reduce friction, action is smoother)
-Magpul UBR buttstock
-Magpul K2 pistol grip
-Primary Arms 7.62x39 1-6x ACSS scope with Aero Precision Ultralight extended scope mount

After many successful 7.62x39 AR builds, I decided to opt for the Mutant because of the inherent improved durability/longevity from using the 308 platform.
I just sent off the BCG and charging handle to be Nickel Boron coated. I wish CMMG offered melonite/nitride or NiB finish on the BCG from the factory... I'd love to SBR this platform. It's a hoot to shoot!

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does your hand guard have the .150 or the .250 upper tang? I was told by CMMG that the Mutant would require a hand guard with a .150 upper tang?

Also, how do your like your FSC muzzle break?

EDIT: Just confirmed that the initial email that I sent to CMMG inquiring about the rail height provided me with incorrect information. The MK47 requires a rail to mate with a .210 upper tang, NOT a .150

Seeing if I can cancel my pre-order of my Midwest Industries MLOK rail and sub in the correct height model.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#38]
im going to own one of these some day!

such a great design, i bet CMMG is selling a ton of these!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I shot mine for the first time a few weeks ago, several times it seems I had a double feed.  I downloaded the 30 rnd pmags and it seemed to go away.  I lubed it up and took it out again today, I haven't cleaned it since the first outing and I probably shot 100 rounds through it then, I shot 3 mags fully loaded with one round failing to seat all the way into the chamber.  I chalk it up to the rifle being new and needing to be broken in, also the springs in the mags being new I think was putting a lot of up pressure on the rounds causing the double feeds the first time.  The rifle is a blast to shoot, nice and smooth with not too much recoil.  I get a lot of compliments on the range.  My only thing and it's been discussed here at length is the no bolt hold open feature.  I'm gonna get the bolt hold open followers and at least I can look and see that I ran dry or I'll know if I have a malfunction but ultimately it would be best to have the bolt hold open feature.  I would definitely recommend this rifle to anyone who is on the fence.  I called Justin at CMMG for a problem with the compensator being over tightened when I got the rifle and he was AWEASOME to deal with .  Sent me out a new crush washer ASAP.  GREAT, FRIENDLY customer service.  Keep it up CMMG!!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Justin at CMMG is a great guy, i have dealt with him several times when i had problems with my .22 convertor. he bends over backwards to help his customer and i recommend CMMG for any of your AR needs!

the main thing i like about the MK47 is the the standard AR safety selector, i HATE the safety arm on an AK so its a good move being so familiar with the AR selector.

might have to sell my PSL to pay for it though?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice but pricy.  I just bought an AR 7.62x39 upper assembly for $359 and two 10 round mags for $30.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#42]
What's 7 months between friends (or paying sponsors...).
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

-Black Rain/Syrac Ordnance Gen II Adjustable clamp-on melonited gas block
-Spike's melonited gas tube
-PWS FSC30 brake
-CMC 3.5 Drop in trigger with KNS pins
-YHM extended charging handle latch
-ADK Arms ambi short throw safety
-POF 308 roller cam pin for the BCG (to reduce friction, action is smoother)
-Magpul UBR buttstock
-Magpul K2 pistol grip
-Primary Arms 7.62x39 1-6x ACSS scope with Aero Precision Ultralight extended scope mount

After many successful 7.62x39 AR builds, I decided to opt for the Mutant because of the inherent improved durability/longevity from using the 308 platform.
I just sent off the BCG and charging handle to be Nickel Boron coated. I wish CMMG offered melonite/nitride or NiB finish on the BCG from the factory... I'd love to SBR this platform. It's a hoot to shoot!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/jpap967/10402932_10206868702825588_3637473426773937234_n_zpsv0xxlhq3.jpg
View Quote

Looking Good !
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#44]
over 60 days
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top