Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2014 12:47:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  Im likin that roll mark for some reason. Looks clean
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
This lower is seriously awesome! But seems a little pricey for a forged lower...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice lower.  I wish I could justify getting it.  Would love a Henderson, NV stamp on my lower.  But for a forged lower it is on the high end of my price scale.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't bought a lower receiver in years and don't plan on it in the future either... but for those of you complaining about price, just a short while ago JUNK lower receivers were being snapped up in the 200+ range.

This lower looks very nice and seems to have been machined with attention to quality and detail - something the mass producers selling off lowers at $50 a piece don't care about.

Does anyone care about a fine quality driven product anymore, or is it all about piecing together the lowest priced AR possible????????
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Features:

All pin holes are reamed rather than drilled.

Helical rear receiver extension threads (not drilled and tapped).

View Quote

I am not knowledgeable enough in metalwork to understand or know why either of these two points would be of any substantial improvement or benefit.  Please expand on these two items and why either is  a step up.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have a responsibility to our customers that expect the world of us.

<snip>

View Quote
If this was posted in answer to my question, it doesn't answer it.   If not my apologies, can you expand on my previous question.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have a responsibility to our customers that expect the world of us.  When they receive theirs, it would be as finely crafted as they imagined, and then some.

snip

View Quote

I have no doubt about quality of the piece if its made by Battle Arms development.  I have bad levers and EPs pins on all my rifles. I know first hand the quality.  I guess my initial reaction was sticker shock for a forged lower.  I'm gonna have to check it out in person.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered mine tonight. I have been waiting on the release for a while and I can't wait to get it in. In my wife's mind this will be my last lower. Ha ha, until the next one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Great, now make a forged upper non- reciprocating side charger please.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Does anyone care about a fine quality driven product anymore, or is it all about piecing together the lowest priced AR possible????????
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. Although I'm sure the lower is extremely well made, I just can't get passed the overly busy logos. Every thing looks real clean, even the logo, but there is just too much going on IMO.

So many people want to build everything for a cheap as they can, but also want the best for the price of garbage. Most people don't realize extra steps in manufacturing require paying people to take those extra steps. Which in turn means a higher price tag for customers. It amazes me everyday how the simple things in life boggle so many people's minds.

If y'all made lowers without the billboard on the right side, I'd get one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#14]
That's the story with the odd notch on the left selector hole?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's the story with the odd notch on the left selector hole?
View Quote

Thats for the BAD-ASS 45 selector notch.

Roger, How are you cutting the magwell? The reason I ask is that magwell dimensions are an often overlooked part of an AR reliability. While I was at my old company we tested our lower against another premium company's lower. We found that feeding reliability was greatly increased when using the competitor's "zero tolerance" magwell while using 7.62x39. It was eye-opening and makes me hesitant about most company's magwells.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am not knowledgeable enough in metalwork to understand or know why either of these two points would be of any substantial improvement or benefit.  Please expand on these two items and why either is  a step up.  Thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Features:

All pin holes are reamed rather than drilled.
Helical rear receiver extension threads (not drilled and tapped).

I'll expand a little on how the process works, for reaming you first drill a undersized hole then the reamer comes in after reaming the hole to exact diameter specifications. This creates a much more precise hole and finish than if it were just drilled, the amount of precision this yields will create exact results from lower to lower. Trigger and hammer pins will fit and seat on a perfect cylindrical holes without the worry of over-sized  or undersized holes.

Helical threads are more precise and burr free because they are done with a milling bit that spirals down the blank hole cutting a small v-groove with a 60 deg cutter in a helical pattern creating threads. This is done in a couple of passes that take a bit at a time until you get to the desired fit. Tapping threads is a much more violent process that carves the threads with a tapered tap, sometimes material will get stuck between threads and cause rough finishes or broken thread segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBr-qUpP_2s
Skip to min 20 to see how the threads are made

Circular interpolation will always create smoother threads than tapping, this is a big deal especially between aluminum mating parts that tend to gall up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You did good Duffy. It's a winner.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We knew some might object to the size and location of the logo and markings.  In person, both sides are rather difficult to discern.  In photos, we obviously want to bring the laser engraved logo and markings out more, so in some photos, lighting, position and angle are optimized to do just that.

In person, the logos and markings are rather subdued, you'd have to look carefully to see them.  There's no way to make everyone happy, it's probably impossible.  What we did not do though, is color fill them and make them stand out

Joe, the mag well is wire EDM cut, but are you referring to something else?
View Quote

No I wasn't. Most magwells are broach cut. I understood that this magwell was EDM but just wanted clarification. And to point out that the manufacturing processes equal more to the end user than just a slightly more expensive part.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thank you Joe.  I was tempted to post a video I took of the wire EDM operation that cuts our mag well, but it may reveal trade secrets, I will post a pic of it later.
View Quote

No worries, wouldn't ask you to do that.

After playing with that lower I spoke about, it really made me want to buy one as my main lower, but they run upwards of $1K if you can find them. EDM magwells allow for near perfect tolerances which can really affect reliability. Glad someone finally is doing it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We knew some might object to the size and location of the logo and markings.  In person, both sides are rather difficult to discern.  In photos, we obviously want to bring the laser engraved logo and markings out more, so in some photos, lighting, position and angle are optimized to do just that.

In person, the logos and markings are rather subdued, you'd have to look carefully to see them.  There's no way to make everyone happy, it's probably impossible.  What we did not do though, is color fill them and make them stand out

Joe, the mag well is wire EDM cut, but are you referring to something else?
View Quote

I like it, looks great.. I'm definitely going to put this up on my list of what lower I want next had it narrowed down to 2 now it's at 3
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I like all my BAD parts, so I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in person. I have to admit, the price did surprise me when I first saw it.

Hopefully there will be some at Rainier Arms' Summer Blast.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That post was written in reply to maleante's, yours hadn't shown up when I started writing it

Drilling creates rough surfaces, and often don't make a good straight and circular hole. Post drilling reaming is far more accurate, and creates a straight and superior round hole.

Helical threading is cleaner and more precise, and leaves no sharp edges.  A tap will cut a certain size, but as it wears, there is no way to control size. With Aerospace parts, tapping isn't an acceptable way to make a hole if the size is over 1/2". Tapped holes usually have a "TORN" finish. Milling the thread gives you the ability to hold the size perfect if you are using thread gages. If the part is going on an airplane, they will check the thread profile, and may reject a tapped hole if it doesn't meet specs. With thread milling you can adjust the size of the thread as the insert starts to wear. Also the finish is a lot better.
View Quote

You typically cannot use a reamer to straighten a hole. The reamer simply follows the pre-drill. "Ream for size, not for location" as well. Surface finish is a true point but it depends on a lot of things.. and these lowers are likely bead blasted then type III anodized so many advantages regarding surface finish and size can be greatly diminished (thanks to the nature of anodizing, its growth thickness, and changes resulting from the baths becoming contaminated). If those holes were cut and polished to a mirror finish, how would it benefit me? I can 'understand' everything having to be perfect on people's "boutique" guns, but this lower was smashed in to shape with a forge. It is a nice looking lower.. but it still looks 'forged'.

Thread milling is cleaner and it is more precise (or at least it can be, with a nonrigid set-up the tool pressure thread milling creates will cause troubles).
As far as "aerospace", they would probably prefer some threading not be cut AT ALL. Thread forming/form tapping is a better option in many ways for some aerospace applications (the fact that "aerospace" keeps keeps getting mentioned raises even more concerns that the cost is being justified with buzzwords rather than something substantial and qualitative).
Thread gages work on tapped holes too, and since the leading edges do the brunt of the cutting, it can be pretty obvious when something isn't right since the tap will be driven through the length of the hole.
As for adjusting/compensating a thread mill, that does not benefit the end user, also when you compensate a thread mill because of worn edges it will effect the thread profile..(Why should I care that you can use cutter compensation on your threading tool? That is something that should be extending the life of tooling and lowering costs as well).
Really, if the end product is quality and in spec, it does not matter what manufacturing process was used to attain it, at least not to the end user. If a tap is generating burrs and rough edges, those can be remedied and cleaned up with post processing and de-burring etc.. whatever it takes to produce a quality part.. the manufacturer has to have concern for costs, consistency and so on. If you tapped and drilled instead of reaming and helical milling the threads, what would this lower cost? If my receiver extension and pins fit just as well in this theoretical lower as they would in the reamed and thread milled one (which is likely if they are both "mil-spec"), then where did my extra coin go (assuming of course that lower would cost less)?

Many billet receivers already use the processes these lowers are advertising.. and some are cheaper. I know shops that run 24/7 365 with robot loaded manufacturing cells.. EDM, thread milling and reaming.. even helical milling with an endmill (helical boring) rather than drilling.. pumping out lowers, uppers and hand guards.

I am not trying to be overly critical, the biggest selling point to me about this lower is probably the EDM cut mag well. (but again, if a lower popped up with a broached well with the same fit and lower cost, then there is not a real advantage). The reaming and thread milling just sounds like a lot of marketing nonsense to me... and it is all well and good that the logo is 3D laser engraved on there, but more often then not I would probably pay more to not have a roll mark at all, let alone one that probably ADDED cost to the lower over traditional methods.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Bam! ^^^^^ Didn't leave much room to argue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You typically cannot use a reamer to straighten a hole. The reamer simply follows the pre-drill. "Ream for size, not for location" as well. Surface finish is a true point but it depends on a lot of things.. and these lowers are likely bead blasted then type III anodized so many advantages regarding surface finish and size can be greatly diminished (thanks to the nature of anodizing, its growth thickness, and changes resulting from the baths becoming contaminated). If those holes were cut and polished to a mirror finish, how would it benefit me? I can 'understand' everything having to be perfect on people's "boutique" guns, but this lower was smashed in to shape with a forge. It is a nice looking lower.. but it still looks 'forged'.

Thread milling is cleaner and it is more precise (or at least it can be, with a nonrigid set-up the tool pressure thread milling creates will cause troubles).
As far as "aerospace", they would probably prefer some threading not be cut AT ALL. Thread forming/form tapping is a better option in many ways for some aerospace applications (the fact that "aerospace" keeps keeps getting mentioned raises even more concerns that the cost is being justified with buzzwords rather than something substantial and qualitative).
Thread gages work on tapped holes too, and since the leading edges do the brunt of the cutting, it can be pretty obvious when something isn't right since the tap will be driven through the length of the hole.
As for adjusting/compensating a thread mill, that does not benefit the end user, also when you compensate a thread mill because of worn edges it will effect the thread profile..(Why should I care that you can use cutter compensation on your threading tool? That is something that should be extending the life of tooling and lowering costs as well).
Really, if the end product is quality and in spec, it does not matter what manufacturing process was used to attain it, at least not to the end user. If a tap is generating burrs and rough edges, those can be remedied and cleaned up with post processing and de-burring etc.. whatever it takes to produce a quality part.. the manufacturer has to have concern for costs, consistency and so on. If you tapped and drilled instead of reaming and helical milling the threads, what would this lower cost? If my receiver extension and pins fit just as well in this theoretical lower as they would in the reamed and thread milled one (which is likely if they are both "mil-spec"), then where did my extra coin go (assuming of course that lower would cost less)?

Many billet receivers already use the processes these lowers are advertising.. and some are cheaper. I know shops that run 24/7 365 with robot loaded manufacturing cells.. EDM, thread milling and reaming.. even helical milling with an endmill (helical boring) rather than drilling.. pumping out lowers, uppers and hand guards.

I am not trying to be overly critical, the biggest selling point to me about this lower is probably the EDM cut mag well. (but again, if a lower popped up with a broached well with the same fit and lower cost, then there is not a real advantage). The reaming and thread milling just sounds like a lot of marketing nonsense to me... and it is all well and good that the logo is 3D laser engraved on there, but more often then not I would probably pay more to not have a roll mark at all, let alone one that probably ADDED cost to the lower over traditional methods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That post was written in reply to maleante's, yours hadn't shown up when I started writing it

Drilling creates rough surfaces, and often don't make a good straight and circular hole. Post drilling reaming is far more accurate, and creates a straight and superior round hole.

Helical threading is cleaner and more precise, and leaves no sharp edges.  A tap will cut a certain size, but as it wears, there is no way to control size. With Aerospace parts, tapping isn't an acceptable way to make a hole if the size is over 1/2". Tapped holes usually have a "TORN" finish. Milling the thread gives you the ability to hold the size perfect if you are using thread gages. If the part is going on an airplane, they will check the thread profile, and may reject a tapped hole if it doesn't meet specs. With thread milling you can adjust the size of the thread as the insert starts to wear. Also the finish is a lot better.

Then don't buy it. Last time I checked there are many options out there. Some more expensive some less expensive. Aren't choices great?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you need is an Anderson lower. I mean, it's the same shit right?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What you need is an Anderson lower. I mean, it's the same shit right?
View Quote

No. Safe to say you missed my point. If Anderson started advertising their lowers as reamed, thread milled and EDM cut mag wells, and sold them at the same price they currently retail for, do you think they would be any better? How 'bout if they started 3D laser engraving their fugly mustang roll mark on them? And does Anderson use the same raw forgings? What if they did?

Just because a hole gets reamed instead of drilled does not mean that any value was truly added to the final product. Tooling costs money, decimal places cost money (in terms of tolerances), and if there is no discernible difference between a reamed pin hole and a drilled one (especially after anodizing), then is the cost justified? Or is it just something nice sounding to put in the advertisement?

I am sure BAD's lower is a quality piece, but telling me how they made it (especially marketing people trying to explain it) is just hot air in my mind. A manufacturing process alone does not justify cost. You can needlessly make something ungodly expensive and time consuming in manufacturing, but there should be a trade off. I am sure BAD can find a better way to demonstrate it and advertise it.. showing the fit, the quality control, a quantitative or qualitative difference.

PS: You are in PA? There is a manufacturer called Micro Facture near Lancaster. They have fully automated robot loaded machinery, up to 8-axis machines, ones that can spit out bolts in 10 minutes, and they have done work for lots of major manufacturers.. billet receivers machined on 5-axis equipment, robot loaded, laser inspected tooling, CMM inspected parts, in process inspection, thread milling, reaming, you name it.. and none of those manufacturers mention anything about it. They don't need to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Then don't buy it. Last time I checked there are many options out there. Some more expensive some less expensive. Aren't choices great?
View Quote

Honestly, this thing is right up my alley. I am not big on the engraving but a forged lower with a burned out mag well sounds like something that could peak my interest (assuming it is a tight 'cut' well, EDM is a very capable process.. again an argument could be made whether such a high tolerance EDM mag well is justifiable, it would take a half hour to burn that out). I haven't swore anything off, but I am hesitant from the price and the advertising.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Well I guess that settles that
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Safe to say I have NOT missed your point...Interesting posts from you and it seems if you know so much about machining processes I would invite you to make your own lower.  For someone stating he's not trying to be so critical, (in your opening salvo post), then in the same breath, use words like "is just hot hot air in my mind", "marketing nonsense", etc....?

Let me give you a bit of Insight about Duffy, I've known him for years and he's NOT a marketing guy like that, never has been. Their parts speak for themselves and having you come in here and bark the way you have is way off course for what this small company is all about. I've been around a few years and know a thing or two about what goes into the machining aspects, and I've have really been impressed to say the least what Battle Arms has done over the years.  They are the utmost respectable company out there and their products speak for themselves and I AM being critical of their company, in a way that deserves respect for what they've accomplished and what they continue to bring to the community.  

Vic Di Cosola
View Quote

You know what Duffy isn't? A machinist or manufacturing engineer. I saw his post before the edit in which he talked about 'reaming for location' and so on, I was bored viewing the post from my TV so I waited till I was at a PC to respond. By then he had most of it cleared up but still not a 100%. I was not trying to be overly critical of BAD or this product, the marketing however.. I do not know Duffy in person, and all I had to go on for this lower was the product descriptions and forum posts, and they did not jive in my eyes. I have no doubt of BAD's quality, I have seen their  ambidextrous selectors in person.
Considering the knowledge I have and access to equipment, I could make my own, but my current job is not an 07FFL, and I like my job, and not being in prison.
I was already aware how long it would take to burn out the mag well, I wanted to know where the other 80-100 dollars went.
I got the response I wanted, and now everyone can benefit from my asshole pessimism thanks to wdigeorge's awesome post.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I was told there would be a full ambi version? It looks like a nice lower, but a lower is a lower.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll start of by saying that it is a fantastic looking lower especially the laser engraving ...BUT even with the the edm wire mag cut i just dont get why its a forged lower.
Not sure what market your targeting but it makes no sense when i can get a mega billet shipped to my door for 25 bucks less than yours.
Sorry if im sounding harsh just letting you know how i feel

Your selectors are the tits btw my buddy just got one we installed in his gun.

Gonna edit this to clarify....i know the difference between forged and billet. What i meant is i dont get why you decided to go with forging over billet
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Which shops in the Las Vegas/ north Las Vegas have it?  I wanna check it out in person.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I think this lower is begging me to be SBR'd...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Forged ambi lower sounds better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll start of by saying that it is a fantastic looking lower especially the laser engraving ...BUT even with the the edm wire mag cut i just dont get why its a forged lower.
Not sure what market your targeting but it makes no sense when i can get a mega billet shipped to my door for 25 bucks less than yours.
Sorry if im sounding harsh just letting you know how i feel

Your selectors are the tits btw my buddy just got one we installed in his gun.

Gonna edit this to clarify....i know the difference between forged and billet. What i meant is i dont get why you decided to go with forging over billet
View Quote

I have 6 different brands of lowers billets and forged, 12 lowers in total, and my AR-15.com billet ambi lower which I believe is made by mega is the only lower I have had a "problem" assembling. The rear take down pin head was hitting and would not go in all the way  by almost an 1/8", recess for head of pin was not a perfect circle.  Little work with the dremel and $60 cerakote fixed it.  . Next time I am in the market for another lower I know which company to use.  Have used 12 of their safeties and they are now the only safeties I will use on my ar's period....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top