BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 10:41:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet looking upper! Excuse my ignorance though, I am not fully understanding the little level. The function of it is not immediately clear to me, please explain. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet looking upper! Excuse my ignorance though, I am not fully understanding the little level. The function of it is not immediately clear to me, please explain. Thanks.
View Quote

It is a anti cant device. Keeps the rifle level  for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're shooting at 500yd and up, a degree or two of cant will throw you off several inches.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the explanations.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the ID of the rail?  Curious to see if I can get a can for 300 BLK under it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When you're shooting at 500yd and up, a degree or two of cant will throw you off several inches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So basically, it's just an unnecessary gimmick
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/GU3MVzP.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/GU3MVzP.jpg

Unless you're building a gun to shoot 500+yd...
Just because you don't use, or don't know how to use, a feature, doesn't make it a useless gimmick for everyone.
Would you consider a cosine indicator a unnecessary gimmick in long range mountain shooting?
I've got one 5.56 and one .308 that I use primarily for long range, usually on 6" steel swingers at 500yd.  If you're not building a 500+yd AR, don't buy this upper.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just because you don't use, or don't know how to use, a feature, doesn't make it a useless gimmick for everyone.  If you're not building a 500+yd AR, don't buy this upper.
View Quote

You got me.  I have no idea how to use a bubble level.

Building a 5.56 AR for the sole purpose of shooting 500+ yards is like building a flying lawn mower.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Building a 5.56 AR for the sole purpose of shooting 500+ yards is like building a flying lawn mower.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because you don't use, or don't know how to use, a feature, doesn't make it a useless gimmick for everyone.  If you're not building a 500+yd AR, don't buy this upper.

Funny, Marine quals go out to 600yd with iron sights.
Not saying you don't know how to use a bubble level, but you seem to forget that you are on AR15.com, and some people like to shoot more than from a 100yd bench.

I shoot over 500yd semi-regularly, and the only time the 5.56 with 77gr Black Hills falls behind is on an unusually windy day.  I have guns set up for it.
I also have SBRs for door-kicking distances in 2-3gun matches.

Here's the table on 77grSMK with a 100yd zero.

And here is the table for 175gr .308 at a 200yd zero.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet the little level helps with a patent issue.

Mega Monolithic uppers are awesome, I think I need one more. 6 is not enough
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know this for a fact, but i would imagine that the inline Level on the top rail (although appropriate for long range) is simply a measure taken by Mega Arms to get around the Patent that LMT has on a Monolithic platform.  By simple making the piece removable I think it is no longer seen as a monolithic upper.  I remember wording from LMT's patent saying something to the effect of "a continuous top rail that is uninterrupted..."

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know this for a fact, but i would imagine that the inline Level on the top rail (although appropriate for long range) is simply a measure taken by Mega Arms to get around the Patent that LMT has on a Monolithic platform.  By simple making the piece removable I think it is no longer seen as a monolithic upper.  I remember wording from LMT's patent saying something to the effect of "a continuous top rail that is uninterrupted..."

View Quote

If the whole problem was the continuous top rail, how does aero get away with their COP monolithic uppers???
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Any chance of a Non-Forward Assist version?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Can the level be reversed for us southpaws?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, just saw a video tour of Mega and they mention that it is ambidextrous.  

http://youtu.be/oesJUSlOTJI
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nobody?!?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's got these uppers?  Post those pics!!!  

Nobody?!?  
have you shipped it yet?

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
When will the Quad Rail versions be available?

I never saw the sense in the Key-Mod setups & still don't.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not everyone wants or needs 5 ft of rail and the associated weight on their handguard.

I'm going to set up my rifle like I want it and leave it.  This isn't a video game where "Hey look, night vision, lasers and a grenade launcher, sure wish I had some way to mount it on my rifle this very minute"
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not everyone wants or needs 5 ft of rail and the associated weight on their handguard.

I'm going to set up my rifle like I want it and leave it.  This isn't a video game where "Hey look, night vision, lasers and a grenade launcher, sure wish I had some way to mount it on my rifle this very minute"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

But can you answer this question I've had:

Other then with Gloves, how to folks with Key-Mod rails handle the heat build up?  Do they attach some kind of cover or heat shield where their hands usually go?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fair enough.

Other then with Gloves, how to folks with Key-Mod rails handle the heat build up?  Do they attach some kind of cover or heat shield where their hands usually go?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

There are several options out there for keymod covers.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#27]
**drums fingers on table**
Patiently waiting for my MKM upper...
Thank you  rainier! Looking forward to the new setup.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#29]
What are the dimensions ? Also what are the lengths( in inches)?? I'm looking to find out if the rifle length would work with a Noveske 12.5 bbl, and a KAC 3t, would the KAC 3t be outside of the rifle length model?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Too bad this thing has keymod on it...I'd have on if it wasn't for that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
That upper is awesome!

I don't understand the keymod hate. I was a little skeptical when I first saw them but after using one for the last few months I'm a believer. I definitely wouldn't let keymod discourage me from buying an upper like this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto for me!

When Mega Arms first announced these new AR15 Monolithic Uppers, they had a Quad Rail version along with a Keymod one.  Now it looks like they dropped the Quad Rail version entirely.  

I had money set aside for this upper!  Looks like I'll be getting a Daniel Defense upper instead.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ditto for me!

When Mega Arms first announced these new AR15 Monolithic Uppers, they had a Quad Rail version along with a Keymod one.  Now it looks like they dropped the Quad Rail version entirely.  

I had money set aside for this upper!  Looks like I'll be getting a Daniel Defense upper instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto for me!

DD makes a monolithic upper?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto for me!

Nope...

But they make several Damn Fine Quad Rail equipped conventional ones!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That upper is awesome!

I don't understand the keymod hate. I was a little skeptical when I first saw them but after using one for the last few months I'm a believer. I definitely wouldn't let keymod discourage me from buying an upper like this.
View Quote

No hate from me, just personal preference.  It's still an awesome upper, and I can't fault Mega for incorporating keymod.  I just don't want to invest in keymod stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No hate from me, just personal preference.  It's still an awesome upper, and I can't fault Mega for incorporating keymod.  I just don't want to invest in keymod stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That upper is awesome!

Ditto Again.

I don't hate the KeyMod or the similar M-Lok setups.  I just prefer a quality Quad Rail configuration.

When Mega Arms first announced these AR15 pattern Monolithic uppers, they had both options.  I'm just sorry to see them only offering the KeyMod version.

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top