AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Obsidian polishes similarly to our other nickel coatings, to a bright shine. The polished areas are not base material. They are still obsidian only polished to a bright finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guide rails of the carrier have even been hand polished, as well as the mouth of the gas key.

I just got mine today! However, upon close inspection it appears that the finish has been removed in the above mentioned "hand polished" areas. Those areas appear bright silver like unfinished steel, while the rest of the BCG is that beautiful dark obsidian color. This concerns me a little bit because those areas are crucial friction points and without the obsidian finish they would not have the benifit of the lubricity which makes this finish superior. It seems to me that if the finish was indeed removed during polishing at these crucial friction points, then the cycling of the entire BCG would not be any smoother (due to the lubricity of obsidian) than a phosphate BCG. I mean, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of using a coating of superior lubricity if it's not present in the crucial friction points?

Obsidian polishes similarly to our other nickel coatings, to a bright shine. The polished areas are not base material. They are still obsidian only polished to a bright finish.

I noticed that the description for the "V2" no longer includes the part about hand polishing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The V2 is completely polished to a mirror finish prior to coating. The polishing still occurs just not in the same order.

Sorry for the delayed response, I will elaborate on the V2.

The first version of the Obsidian BCG was media blasted prior to coating. This created a semi-matte finish once the coating was applied. We would then hand polish the friction points. In V2 the entire carrier is polished prior to coating. This gives a very nice finish once the coating is applied. Being sticklers for perfection here, the polishing allows us to start with a near perfect substrate prior to the coating application. This process also negates the post coating polishing.
http://www.tr-enabling.com/v/vspfiles/photos/M16OBBCG-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guide rails of the carrier have even been hand polished, as well as the mouth of the gas key.

I just got mine today! However, upon close inspection it appears that the finish has been removed in the above mentioned "hand polished" areas. Those areas appear bright silver like unfinished steel, while the rest of the BCG is that beautiful dark obsidian color. This concerns me a little bit because those areas are crucial friction points and without the obsidian finish they would not have the benifit of the lubricity which makes this finish superior. It seems to me that if the finish was indeed removed during polishing at these crucial friction points, then the cycling of the entire BCG would not be any smoother (due to the lubricity of obsidian) than a phosphate BCG. I mean, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of using a coating of superior lubricity if it's not present in the crucial friction points?

I noticed that the description for the "V2" no longer includes the part about hand polishing.

The V2 is completely polished to a mirror finish prior to coating. The polishing still occurs just not in the same order.

Sorry for the delayed response, I will elaborate on the V2.

The first version of the Obsidian BCG was media blasted prior to coating. This created a semi-matte finish once the coating was applied. We would then hand polish the friction points. In V2 the entire carrier is polished prior to coating. This gives a very nice finish once the coating is applied. Being sticklers for perfection here, the polishing allows us to start with a near perfect substrate prior to the coating application. This process also negates the post coating polishing.
http://www.tr-enabling.com/v/vspfiles/photos/M16OBBCG-2.jpg

Interesting. I almost prefer the look of the V1...it's more subtle and you can't easily tell it is Obsidian coated. I've shown a couple people and they think the V1 is just a standard phosphate BCG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I do wish I had known about the difference in color before I ordered. My V2 looks like black chrome. Slightly tacky, but functional.

Also my bolt is exceptionally rough in the carrier, will this slick up after the break-in?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We will most likely be offering them simultaneously in the near future. However, the V2 once installed in the upper receiver is not very noticeably shiny. We put a light on it in a certain way in that photo only to show the finish quality. It is still black, in fact more so with this process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I almost prefer the look of the V1...it's more subtle and you can't easily tell it is Obsidian coated. I've shown a couple people and they think the V1 is just a standard phosphate BCG.

We will most likely be offering them simultaneously in the near future. However, the V2 once installed in the upper receiver is not very noticeably shiny. We put a light on it in a certain way in that photo only to show the finish quality. It is still black, in fact more so with this process.

Very cool!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
so are the critical outside and inside diameters compensated .0005" for the plating that gets added?  .001" total thickness being added is the entire tolerance of the OD and ID for the bolt. how do i know i am getting something that can even be put together?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got some concerns on my V2 (Surprise! Not a V1 like you thought!) that I got a couple weeks back...

After trying to shoot mine, I could only get my gun to cycle ONCE with PMC X-Tac M855. Hand-cycled 20 rounds and couldn't get it to work, but the gun and ammo cycle with a mil-spec BCG, softly but reliably.
I've cycled the bolt a hundred times or so and the finish wore through on the corners of the carrier bearing surfaces pretty quick.
Also, the gas key seems to be forged, certainly not machined from billet. No biggy, but I was very disappointed to get something other than I expected.

My big concern is that the bolt is as rough as can be in the carrier and hasn't got any better. I already have a carrier that swallows gas rings whole, and I DO NOT want another one. This is the roughest carrier I've ever seen. Grease, CLP, doesn't matter. Very rough.

Though, the finish,  especially with the lube they provide, is slick as snot! I've almost dropped it several times. It's really that slick.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like it !
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, the finish itself is not wearing on the corners as you stated. When this material is polished by the friction of cycling it will lighten in color or polish, giving it the illusion of wear. The finish itself is RC70.
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, the finish itself is not wearing on the corners as you stated. When this material is polished by the friction of cycling it will lighten in color or polish, giving it the illusion of wear. The finish itself is RC70.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/goatmurray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2962377d.jpg</a>" />

I'm sorry, I've read and reread and relooked at this pic and I can't figure out what it's showing?
I'm very interested in this bcg and would love to hear more opinions on it from anyone who has anything to share.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I've read and reread and relooked at this pic and I can't figure out what it's showing?
I'm very interested in this bcg and would love to hear more opinions on it from anyone who has anything to share.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/goatmurray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2962377d.jpg</a>" />

It's showing an area where I say the coating has worn through. TR Enabling told me that I was wrong, that it couldn't have worn through, but I see the clean coating, the worn coating, and the white of what I'd say is the metal underneath. So I thought a picture would be nice.
I don't see any problem in the wear at all, it just seemed like a fitting response to someone telling me it's not worn.

Update: Received a replacement BCG with a V1 finish. First BCG was rougher than it should have been and the replacement seems good to go on all counts.

Also to the guy concerned about tolerances, .0005" (3 zeros! dang!) is insanely thin and on this particular application, there's more than enough room. I've looked both the BCG's I've touched over with a fine tooth comb and the fitment is just as it should be. It's thinner than you'd think by looking at it in pictures.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The only way to test that the coating has been removed is with a Copper Sulfate swab test. Which we conduct on units that have fired 1000s of rounds. Even though it certainly has the appearance of being removed, it is not. As we stated we can definitely see why a user would assume this, we did, which is why we conduct the tests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's showing an area where I say the coating has worn through. TR Enabling told me that I was wrong, that it couldn't have worn through, but I see the clean coating, the worn coating, and the white of what I'd say is the metal underneath. So I thought a picture would be nice.
I don't see any problem in the wear at all, it just seemed like a fitting response to someone telling me it's not worn.

Update: Received a replacement BCG with a V1 finish. First BCG was rougher than it should have been and the replacement seems good to go on all counts.

Also to the guy concerned about tolerances, .0005" (3 zeros! dang!) is insanely thin and on this particular application, there's more than enough room. I've looked both the BCG's I've touched over with a fine tooth comb and the fitment is just as it should be. It's thinner than you'd think by looking at it in pictures.

The only way to test that the coating has been removed is with a Copper Sulfate swab test. Which we conduct on units that have fired 1000s of rounds. Even though it certainly has the appearance of being removed, it is not. As we stated we can definitely see why a user would assume this, we did, which is why we conduct the tests.

That's cool, and pretty much what I thought. Anyone else around here want to chime in with their experiences with these BCGs?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I changed out my extractor spring and o ring that came in the bolt,  it was chewing up my cases.
I put a tacticalsprings extra power 5 coil job in it. BCM has similar, maybe from them.
This thing cleans up great works great an looks good doing it.
When I buy another BCG it will be from TR_Enabling.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I changed out my extractor spring and o ring that came in the bolt,  it was chewing up my cases.
I put a tacticalsprings extra power 5 coil job in it. BCM has similar, maybe from them.
View Quote

That's disappointing to hear about the bolt. I'm still very interested in this setup but I'm not hearing much about it yet....
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one that wouldn't extract at all. Would just hold the casing after firing. I called them and they sent a bolt. Still waiting to get it and see if that resolves the problem...
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Hay guys don't get me wrong, this BCG is great.

It ran great. My issue was more than likely from sharp fresh tooling and would have been fine after a good break in.

I'm completely satisfied with it. I've been waiting for a dark finish like this, this is it.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Received the replacement bolt and tested it out yesterday. Worked great and obviously very easy to clean. I am happy.

Now, if you could get these in the sub-$200 price range I would only be buying these from now on.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
ETA on back in stock? And any coupon codes?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They should be back in stock mid-late January. We may just have to share an ARFCOM only code....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA on back in stock? And any coupon codes?

They should be back in stock mid-late January. We may just have to share an ARFCOM only code....

I like the sound of that
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I ordered a blem the other day, I can't wait to get it!  I have been enjoying the discussion and I have to say I appreciate reading as you address questions.  This community is full of folks with diverse backgrounds and a wealth of knowledge, its always a learning experience and you will get a huge amount of free feedback to evolve your products.

I will need a gas key, I didn't see one on your websight.  I'll take a second stab at it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I received the "blemished" bolt carrier and it's really a fantastic product.  I can't wait to stake on the gas key and finish it, the shipping, packaging, and quality of the BC is amazing.  
I took a photo with a pro-Nikon under normal lighting conditions for folks who would like to see a blem:

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
What happened to the V2's? I don't see them for sale on the website anymore.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top