User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am sorry if this had already been addressed but I could not find it.  

Will a .750 gas block fit under the SSK key mod rail?  I have the rail and was preparing to purchase a barrel (looking at 13.7  Ranier Arm Match barrel with .750 block) for this build but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.  Thank you.
View Quote

Should be no problem with anything that is a low-profile gas block, 0.750".
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
need a 7" rail in FDE  
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Will this work w/ an AA piston?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got my 12" rail installed. Love the fit and looks, and it's very light and fits my small hands very well. I have the 0.750" gas block on mine and it fits very easily inside the rails.

Will buy again when I build my next rifle(s).

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Great thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Any plans for a 7 or 7.5" rail?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked the looks of the MI-SS12G2 more so than any others, that I bought one. Fit and finish is fantastic, diameter is perfect even for my large hands. I can grab hold of the fore-grip and not "feel" the un-used picatinney areas that would otherwise need to be covered.

Great product. I've plans to buy the SS 15" keymod style real soon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
If you use a low profile like the TROY you can even fit a .936 under the SSK or Gen 2 SS.  There will not be much clearance but it clears.  Even a thicker bottomed low profile gas block like YHM, MI, PRI, they will fit at least in .875 and .750.  I have not tried a thicker bottomed .936 in either the SSK or the Gen 2 SS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.

I have the Troy LP gas block that I intended to use on my first build, but after looking at what was needed (not too mention the Troy block was shorter in length) I decided to use the standard site/gas block to eliminate drilling the barrel two more times. I took the cut off wheel to it and then the air grinder. All in all it turned out real nice after refinishing it. I'll use the Troy GB this go around.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice! Will the 12" model cover the gas block on a std position on a 20" length barrel?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just received one of these and as good as it looks I think the feel of it is even better. this thing is skinny. I really like it. the only small bit of constructive criticism would be that the small rail included can't be mounted near the end of the tube due to the swivel mounts. I can't get my light down at the end because the swivel mount is raised and doesn't allow you to slide the rail forward to engage the keymod system. I am going to try the Noveske 4 slot which has less material on the forward side. if I can get  this worked out I think this new handguard is going to work out perfect for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the only small bit of constructive criticism would be that the small rail included can't be mounted near the end of the tube due to the swivel mounts. I can't get my light down at the end because the swivel mount is raised and doesn't allow you to slide the rail forward to engage the keymod system. I am going to try the Noveske 4 slot which has less material on the forward side. if I can get  this worked out I think this new handguard is going to work out perfect for me.
View Quote

I don't have the this particular handrail, but I did do a search on Google for any images that might show reference to what you mention.
From what I see it looks as if the rail itself might be one lug/bar too long? Is it possible to rotate (end for end) it in hopes that gives more space?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Received my 12'' rail yesterday and installed it. Very impressed! Solid, slim and very light - especially given the price. I've always been a fan of MI, this just raised the bar.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is the actual length of the 10.5 inch rail? I've got a .22lr barrel and a clamp-on A2 FSB. I want to mock up the location of the gas block before I commit. Thanks!
View Quote

Would like this info also
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]
As mentioned previously I have the 12" Gen2 SS. I really like it. It came with one aluminum picatinny rail that can be placed where needed, which is great.

However, I find that the added socket in the small rail for a QD slingpoint useless.

Which (unless I failed to see them on the MI website. Which is entirely possible.) makes me wonder why a single screw socket-type, sling point is not available?
I've done my research and found what I mention are available, but considering the Gen 2 SS is such a small diameter, fitment to circumference is my concern for not buying from another manufacturer.
I guess if I have to buy from another company and take the chance that what I buy fits, so be it. Although I'd rather buy something made specific to the rail I want to attach it too.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just received one of these and as good as it looks I think the feel of it is even better. this thing is skinny. I really like it. the only small bit of constructive criticism would be that the small rail included can't be mounted near the end of the tube due to the swivel mounts. I can't get my light down at the end because the swivel mount is raised and doesn't allow you to slide the rail forward to engage the keymod system. I am going to try the Noveske 4 slot which has less material on the forward side. if I can get  this worked out I think this new handguard is going to work out perfect for me.
View Quote

It fits.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been running a bunch of searches and have come up empty. I have some SSKs on the way, but am looking for a bipod stud that can go into the qd sling cup on the bottom rail at the most forward point. Does such a product exist?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have been running a bunch of searches and have come up empty. I have some SSKs on the way, but am looking for a bipod stud that can go into the qd sling cup on the bottom rail at the most forward point. Does such a product exist?
View Quote
Edited for direct link. This may help. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40171/Product/MULTI_ADAPTER_STUDS

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Edited for direct link. This may help. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40171/Product/MULTI_ADAPTER_STUDS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the GroveTec adapter would work, but your bipod will extend out past the end of your SSK a bit.  I modified a Noveske TRX bipod/sling swivel to fit one of the keymod slots.  Quick 5 min job with a dremel and a steady hand.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]

10.5" on an 11.5" AR Performance barrel, Seekins .750 adjustable gasblock only clears this by a few thousands of an inch.

Feels even better on a rifle than it did at SHOT.

D

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it.

Quoted:

Yep, the GroveTec adapter would work, but your bipod will extend out past the end of your SSK a bit.  I modified a Noveske TRX bipod/sling swivel to fit one of the keymod slots.  Quick 5 min job with a dremel and a steady hand.
<a href="http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/churchilljason/media/bipod_zps97d4b4e2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p689/churchilljason/bipod_zps97d4b4e2.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/churchilljason/media/bipod_zps97d4b4e2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p689/churchilljason/bipod_zps97d4b4e2.jpg</a>
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Rail looks great In Magpul FDE cerakote with the new midwest keymod panels:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/jdreining/B995FAEA-692A-4104-9E0C-861C74FD0836.jpg
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/003_zps53fa8a75.jpg

10.5" on an 11.5" AR Performance barrel, Seekins .750 adjustable gasblock only clears this by a few thousands of an inch.

D

View Quote

That is an very nice looking rifle. I have been looking for a picture of this configuration for a while.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Just put one of the Gen 2 SS Keymods on a DPMS Gen II 7.62.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/AR%2010/DSC01041_zps3743cd4c.jpg

That is a very nice tube for money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/AR%2010/DSC01041_zps3743cd4c.jpg

View Quote

Wow, was the barrel nut/rail made specifically for the DPMS GII?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh my!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I installed my rail. Love the light weight and the length. Looks a little odd though when you put a light and vert grip on it. ;)

Regardless, I'm happy with the setup.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is an very nice looking rifle. I have been looking for a picture of this configuration for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/003_zps53fa8a75.jpg
D

Glad you got a look at it, all those that have handled or shot this rifle fall in love with the MI feel.

Here it is again, fully loaded out.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#32]
just ordered the 15" FDE from midway for $199 shipped.......couldn't resist joining the KMR 14er fanboy status!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
For uninstall/reinstall purposes, what would be the best way to remove the retaining compound applied to the barrel nut?

Mechanical?  Chemical?  Not necessary?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a wire wheel on a Dremel.  Comes right off.
Reverse the clamp screws and insert a small piece of metal between the clamp haves and spread a ltttle to break the bond.  Then clean up with the wire wheel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I use a wire wheel on a Dremel.  Comes right off.
Reverse the clamp screws and insert a small piece of metal between the clamp haves and spread a ltttle to break the bond.  Then clean up with the wire wheel.
View Quote

Thanks Big-Bore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#36]
It looks very good, was the purpose of the design to use for 3-gun?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#37]
How long do I have to wait for a 15"?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone have one of these with a KX5 under the rail?  I saw that there is a 0.1" difference but wasn't sure if that was really enough or not.  Would love to hear some first hand experience.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I think I saw 15 Keymods in black and FDE in stock at Brownells and Midway just a day or two ago.  Pretty sure Hamlund Tactical and Valhalla Armory have them in stock also but not sure if in both colors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I installed last night the MI SS-Keymod 12 inch on an Armalite M15 (AR-15 clone), and AR-10. Both 20 inch barrels. Here is my opinions and thoughts.

The main reason I bought these hand guards was to have a free floating barrel, and not to attach accessories. I chose the MI SS-keymod for 2 reasons. First, it was the only keymod rail I saw advertised as specifically designed for the Armalite AR-10. Second, I figured out I might as well go keymod to future proof the hand guards should there by an accessory I'd like to mount. Also, pricing was lowest among other contenders, and was more of a bonus than a consideration. The fit and feel are excellent, the pieces interlock beautifully. I like holding a much thinner tube than the original hand guards. Both installed rather quickly, probably no more than 30 minutes each rifle. When finally installed, it looks like it came from the factory as is.

According to the supplied instructions, the barrel nut is torqued at 30-60 ft lbs. I set the torque wrench to 30 ft lbs, and when it clicks one of the castlelations is smack middle of the gas tube hole on the AR-10. I set the torque wrench to 60 ft lbs, hoping I'd reach the next clearing for the gas tube before it clicks. Did not make it. I attempted torquing the barrel nut on and off at 60 ft lbs several times, but each time the torque wrench clicked, the barrel nut was in the exact same spot. I went ahead and just keep going until I reached the next clearing for the gas tube. I hope that over time the slight over torque does not damage the threads on the upper receiver, or the barrel nut. Shims may have allowed me to achieve proper torque at the previous clearing on the barrel nut. But I do not know if this was taken into account during development of this rail. Had a similar problem on the M15 as well, but dealt with it the same way I did the AR-10. I was also considering using Loctite, and set the barrel nut to the previous clearing, as PWS instructions for their keymod hand guards recommend this. But I did not want to put Loctite on any part of the upper.

Once fully installed, there is a space between the end of the rail, and the gas block. Based on my eyeball guesstimate, and a ruler the gap is 1/16 inch on the M15, and 9/32 on the AR-10. While the gap does not detract from the function and purpose of the rails or firearm, I find the gap on the AR-10 too wide. This product is advertised specifically for the Armalite AR-10, with a different model available for DPMS 308, and its clones. No reason why the rail could not have been made a little longer to have a lesser gap like on the AR-15 and its clones if it was engineered for a specific firearm model.

Installation on the AR-10 in my case required a longer ejection port cover rod. I e-mailed MI to find out if I needed the longer rod before purchase of the rail, and their answer was to ask Armalite if I had the longer rod or not, as it seems some AR-10s have the longer rod, others not. I know it is trivial and inconvenient to go out and buy this rod separately, but it would be nice if the longer rod was included with the rail.

The area that holds the screws that clamp the rail onto the barrel nut are uncomfortable to me, as that is where I hold the rails when I shoot. I either have to place my hand slightly forward, or get a vertical forward grip. There are no sharp edges, the rail has them rounded off as is. However, I find this protrusion rather annoying for my personal taste. This is just my personal preference, the screws do what they are supposed to do.

Overall, I do find this to be a well made, quality product, and would recommend it to others. They are a good and acceptable method of upgrading from the A2 hand guards to free float keymod rails. I know I sound like a pessimist, because I am. However, I point out the flaws, so that hopefully they are addressed and fixed on the next generation. If anyone can show me how to post pictures on this thread, I'd be more than happy to, as I have not seen a picture, here or internet wide, of these rails installed on an actual Armalite rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have pics of a 12 inch with a 12.5 bbl?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#44]
What is the exact length of the 9 inch model?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Is the provided retaining compound removeable? Is the fluid that is on the barrel nut to be cleaned off before assembly?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe you should change your barrel length or maybe work a deal with MI for some custom Handguards...before you denounce them.....just saying...because it (to me) always seems the custom builders always hash on the manufacturers as to why they don't make equipment to fit their product...If you use MI parts, then you should make "your" parts to fit their equipment....just my Opinion mind you...

SASS
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Had to torque the barrel nut to about 85-87# for it to line up.  Do I need to worry about that?  Customer service told me they would send another barrel nut, but is it fine the way it is?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I think these are some of the best handguards out there right now. decent price too. I have two of them now.
" />
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top