AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Just ordered a set for my new build.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Got some for my pistol build were easier too install than the pistol grip was,keep in mind I had to use a worn out Torx head screwdriver because my Allen wrenches weren't long enough.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
My set just came in yesterday in the morning. Installing pins in my HK took me like 2 or 3 minutes max, without removing castle nuts. I reused original detent pins (decided that HK pins most probably are not "crappy"). BAD-EPS look very nice and positively stays in place, but I'm able to push-pull them out without tools. But there is one downside. With HK locking pins removed very slight amount of play between receivers shown up. It is small, but given than HK pins did great job to provide zero play, it still is noticeable. I might decide to go for 50/50 solution, leaving front HK pin to use play reducing feature and rear BAD-EPS pin to have tool-less access to rifle internals.

Overall, BAD-EPS is well though quality piece of stuff and I think this product can fast become de-facto standard on high quality builds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I can attest that the rear takedown pin will get in the way if they are extended.   I modified YHM pins to give me some clearance.  I’ve never had to take my rifle down in a class or out shooting (knock on wood) but I would like to ensure I could take it down with gloves… So far I have noticed how SMOOTH the Battle Arms pins operate… but they are so low profile that I’m not 100% sure I could operate them with gloves on (I have short sausage fingers anyway).  I’ve been so impressed with how smooth they are and with my BADASSs that for now they will stay on the rifle until I can abuse them some and make up my mind on what I want to do.

Modified Front/Rear YHM pins… super easy to yank on with gloves, sorta get in the way still, never had smooth in/out

Battle Arms pins… Not in the way, SUPER smooth operation, waiting to see if my gloves grip them

would you guys be against a V2 as an extended set?  maybe something low profile with a fold down pull tab or a design with selector clearance?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I"m not anti-battle arms... not at all.  i just think an extended version might have some "sales." maybe even me... since i'm super mall ninja side charge boy... even on my 300blk.  

I look forward to all you guys produce and how it is applicable to me and how i run my rigs.  i'm actually going to build a backup... and i have never contemplated that.  my current rig is XX,000 round through it without a single "yank" on the side charger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Went ahead and ordered my set.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the design goals was to keep the take down pin low profile, while providing a more effective surface area for fingers to pinch and pull out.  As it is, both pin heads are lower in profile than even the factory pins.  If the take down pin had similar profile as the pivot pin, it would stick out more than the factory pin, and though it may not create as much interference as other extended pins and become a hindrance to the operation of the right side selector lever, its presence will be noticeable.

The EPS are designed to do a better job than factory pins, while remaining low profile and out of the way

Re: tight fit between upper and lower, I don't think it's been proven that a tight fit would benefit accuracy, I quite believe the opposite has been proven (that a tight fit has no bearing on accuracy).  I am not certain of the reasons HK wanted the fit to be tight, it could be they're simply being German and just want things done "correctly."

A tight fit between the upper and lower was not one of the design goals.  We didn't go out of our way to make things loose, the EPS are 0.005 smaller in diameter because we have to ensure compatibility with mix and match upper and lower receivers,   In our opinion, a tighter than normal fit between the two has no tangible benefit, but could have rather unpleasant consequences if it makes it impossible to field strip the weapon without a tool.
View Quote

I'm sure you met all your design goal. Actually it is amazing that for something as simple as "just set of pins" this set of requirements was defined and met. I do user requirement analysis for a living and now how mutually excluding one to other user requirements usually are. I do not think your pins "introduced" any loosines in my rifle. They just allowed this small amount on play between receivers to show up, while original HK pins with spring loaded balls were just removing it. I actually expected some play to show up, just did not know how much.

I know that tight fit do not have mechanical benefit for accuracy, but "all is in the head". Rock solid rifle gives better feedback for user when he goes for maximum accuracy. Civilian HK rifles are designated as "Match Rifle" and made to such spec. They even add screw that enables user to remove any play in stock (added to standard play reducing and adjustable spring loaded ball detents in receiver extension. Actually every rifle HK makes for civilian market must have strong background for hunting or sport (formal target shooting) to get BKA approval.

BTW German Army DMR rifle HK G28 (military version of civilian MR308/MR762, that is civilian version of HK417 - it made full circle) also uses same locking pins for tight upper to lower fit. Probably HK wants things done "correctly" on precision rifles.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HK may not want folks to misinterpret the slight play in their weapon, if it exists, as a flaw, maybe that's all their locking pins are meant to do.
View Quote

Maybe, yet they have it on military issue G28. It was not OTS system, but was developed around MR308 together with German Army. For some reason both HK and Bundeswehr decided locking pins should stay in place. But this is precision rifle (sub-MOA with match ammo and every one is guaranteed not more thatn 1.5MOA with issue ammo).

BTW HK pins need tool, because tool-less version would either interfere with ambi safety or be snag risk. I wonder if you could improve on design and make two-in-one: your EPS features with added anti-play feature a'la HK? Up for a challenge? ;)
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We would if we can be convinced there's benefit in eliminating the play between the upper and lower
View Quote

You will see the light. Eventually
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd pay good money for some pins that removed play from you guys. I hate when I try and make an accurate shot and the upper shifts at the exact wrong moment.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd pay good money for some pins that removed play from you guys. I hate when I try and make an accurate shot and the upper shifts at the exact wrong moment.
View Quote

Yes, I hate receivers that wobble. I have a Noveske SPR upper that I paired with a stripped Noveske lower that I built up and paired to it....it wobbles

Of all the brands I have, I wouldn't have expected to have a problem with the Noveske
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think if you do want to fix the slight play, solutions other than the pins are the way to go.  Receiver tensioning screw in the lower being one of them, it's out of the way, and can be adjusted.
View Quote

How hard is it to add something like that to a lower?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
But I love stupid giant antennas.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think if you do want to fix the slight play, solutions other than the pins are the way to go.  Receiver tensioning screw in the lower being one of them, it's out of the way, and can be adjusted.
View Quote

I use a accu-wedge in my AR to eliminate "slop" between lower and upper. Provides a tight fit for $4-5 or whatever I paid. Can be modified with a razor blade to get the right fit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use a accu-wedge in my AR to eliminate "slop" between lower and upper. Provides a tight fit for $4-5 or whatever I paid. Can be modified with a razor blade to get the right fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$0.05 O-ring on the front lug works better than an accuwedge
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The o-ring works, but have to replace it darn near every time you open the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We would if we can be convinced there's benefit in eliminating the play between the upper and lower
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like you already are self-convinced*:

Quoted:
Once we have a good handle on the no frills Battle Arms spec receivers, we can start adding features on them.  One of which will probably be the tension screw,

It is just matter of choosing right way to do that.

I like this feature in pins, because this do not require changes or special features in receiver design and does not use parts that can move, be lost or just wear-off.

* - but I intent to write in detail (not spamming your thread, but will let you know) why and where I think there is a benefit, when I will have some more time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A tight fit between the upper and lower was not one of the design goals.  We didn't go out of our way to make things loose, the EPS are 0.005 smaller in diameter because we have to ensure compatibility with mix and match upper and lower receivers,   In our opinion, a tighter than normal fit between the two has no tangible benefit, but could have rather unpleasant consequences if it makes it impossible to field strip the weapon without a tool.
View Quote

A tight fitting upper and lower is one of those things that matter to me, I dont care if it effects accuracy or not. I want a good fit and finish on rifles that I spent a good bit of money and time on when I build them.

I find a tight pin is essencial to make that happen. In some cases a larger than mil spec is needed to tighten up the recievers.  I'm bummed that you have decreased the diameter of the pins. While I understand it is only .005", it is enough. I like the design but the  decreased diameter will "loosen" up my rifles and that is something that is not OK with me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm ambivalent on the tension screw.  I don't like how it achieves its end by pushing against the upper.  
View Quote

That is why I prefer solution that use pins. In HK version pins (actually spring loaded balls build into pins - pins have relief cut on upper side to allow that) pull upper down to sit tight against lower.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ours is about 0.001 smaller, we hold 0.0005 tolerance on the EPS
View Quote
Just right for my PWS, before installing your pins I needed tools to get the pp out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not to offer up excuses here for doing or not doing something, it is one of the design goals to make ours as compatible as possible with the myriad of uppers and lowers.  If we were to make the pins solely for our lower (I'm sure you guys have seen it by now) and upper (to be announced), we keep very tight tolerances and can therefore make the pins just right for OUR upper and lower receivers.  When the pins are made to work with the millions of upper and lowers in existence, the parameters are not the same anymore.

We know the milspec diameter and tolerances, when we checked actual pins from mainstream manufacturers, there were enough differences to cause concerns for larger pins.

We make our selector centers just long enough to be compatible with receiver thickness up to 0.93 (milspec is around 0.88), with the pins we aimed to achieve wide compatibility as well.  To date, we do not have a single instance of the pins being incompatible with any upper and lower mix and match combinations.
View Quote

Well after ordering the San Tan Tactical ST-15 lower, BAD-ASS lever, and EPS... once again I am wowed by your products! Those pins were a real surprise... I got them out of brand loyalty but never knew HOW much of a change it would be. Props on putting the detents on the pins to use a punch/bullet for take-down. The BAD-ASS is perfect as always, test fitted it even though I don't have my trigger in yet.

Next step - seeing how it all mates up with a POF drop-in trigger and KNS pins. Pics to come once it's installed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered a couple of sets from LaRue, they had it for a bit cheaper.

Do you have any idea if they will be getting stock soon, or is there a backlog?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There's no back log from us, I'll get in touch with Blair to let them know they're out of stock.

You can find them on Amazon, and here at EE as well, Mike is an ar15.com authorized dealer
View Quote

Thanks. Who is Mike.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thank you Devin for the review

Guns and Tactics review
View Quote

No problem Duffy, glad to do it!  Glad to see a compay paying attention to detail and making quality products that are meant for and suitable to be put in a fighting rifle.

Devin Viergever
Www.facebook.com/almosttactical
Www.almosttactical.com
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Any chance of making a lightweight version of these out of either titanium or aluminum?  Seems the latest trend is lightweight everything.  There are other companies out there making lightweight takedown pins (I won't mention names on this thread out of respect), but I'm torn because I really like the enhanced functionality of the BAD EPS (own 2 sets).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Definately like what I've seen about the new LW BAD ASS w/Spikes!
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Any ETA on the 308 sets?
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top