Why use 6061 over 7075?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice looking!
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why use 6061 over 7075?

Because its cheaper to get the 6061 aluminum. Otherwise, no point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why use 6061 over 7075?

Because its cheaper to get the 6061 aluminum. Otherwise, no point.

Or maybe because it is easier to CNC than 7075 and takes hard anodizing better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats a very good looking lower. Usually the billets get a little too crazy looking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Will you offer integral trigger guards?
How much for engraving?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking lower.  Like the name also.  Every time I say it in my head I use the voice from the character in Batman.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I should have qualified what I said. It depends on what type of 6061. What type of 6061 do you guys use?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
you should host your lower art contest here

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
They look nice, but $285+ is too much for a lower.   Will not be getting my money.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Our lower receivers are machined in-house from solid billet 6061 aluminum on a modern,
multi-axis CNC production mill.

All measures were taken to produce a receiver with a high degree of precision and dimensional accuracy
for the most discriminating AR-platform rifle or pistol builder.

The classic lines of the AR rifle are retained, with the strength and rigidity of a solid, machined component.

They are sold as "receivers", marked "MULTI" for build flexibilty, and are compatible with all MIL-SPEC parts.

Low shelf, EDM-cut magazine well, Full process Hard-Coat Anodized, MIL-8625 Type III

These are currently available for immediate shipment. Dealer / quantity pricing and custom engraving are available.

http://banefirearms.com/images/close02.jpg

I really hope the 6061 is a typo, the Mil Spec called for 7075-T6511 for M16 upper and lower receivers because of higher strength, hardness, and lower wear rate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They look nice, but $285+ is too much for a lower.   Will not be getting my money.

This.

MEGA makes a far superior billet in every way, for $200.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#14]

How are Mega's far superior in every way?  Not trying to argue just would like to know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The picture looks great - we also need an upper to match.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I kinda felt $285.00 was a little high too. I was interested until I saw the price. Does look good though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How are Mega's far superior in every way?  Not trying to argue just would like to know.

While I don't really believe in saying any lower is "superior" to another - assuming we are talking about a comparison between lowers that are in spec and function as intended the first time, I will say that some of Mega's lowers are ambi compatible and the integral trigger guard is better from a purely economic standpoint - one less thing you have to buy.

Mega is also a KNOWN company with a proven track record and proven customer service.  

Then there is the whole subjective "looks" of the thing.  

I look at it this way - I have a company I never heard of trying to sell me something that looks exactly like a plain jane forged lower for 3 times my personal "value" I put on stripped lowers.  Or I could just wait for Mega's back order to come in and have a subjectively  "better" lower for 2/3 of the cost.... Or I could go over and wait for Stonefire to get more Seekin's lowers for $130 - these would be "stronger" and "better" looking to me.   Or I could just watch and wait for the bottom to fall out of the market and just see what happens.

Again, I see no need to pay that money for that lower.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#18]
very nice looking lower,, the integral trigger guard will be nice when it comes out,, flared magwell would be nice to. At the moment i would probably rather have a Noveske gen 2 for $249 but if it had a flared magwell i would probably consider both.. not that magwell makes much of a difference, but sets it apart..... like the company name too. BANE
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd be interested in a matched set upper&lower.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Those are sexy
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in a matched set upper&lower.

X2
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the lower and I do like that it retains the lines of the average forged lower, while adding soft edges.

But between the price and lack of integral trigger guard, I won't be buying any.  Billet lowers that don't come with an integral trigger guard always seem to look 'off' once an aftermarket one is installed.  And with Mega already being established with a great track record, I see no reason to pay 30% more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I will give my 2 cents on the lower since I just built one up tonight.

Bought it a few weeks back on a whim since it was the only one available at my local gun shop when I asked if they had any lowers in stock. Serial number is <100 so I guess you can call me an early adopter  Initially the price was higher-$300 at LGS (if I recall correctly on their website had them at $350 when I bought it) but the LGS owner gave me a discount price which was down to the website price of $285 today. Still, even with the discount the price was not comparable to a Mega or most other billets from what I've seen.

Initial impressions (this is my 6th build, but 1st with billet). Decent finish. Decent lines. Assembly went together relatively smoothly with a PSA Magpul STR build kit, so it appears in spec. Passed the function tests, but haven't fired it. This lower is going to be set aside until I can get another upper for it.

Pros that I can see-Pretty much in spec (based on the assembly with lower build kit, not by any measurements taken with calipers), it was available during the panic period time when the only other lowers available were polymers (albeit at a higher price, availability is not really an issue today compared to forged lowers and billets probably in a few months). Looks decent overall, finish looks nice and it has the lines that tell others it is a billet lower (if that is important to you). Customizable-Taking with the owner of the LGS, they will be offering customized art works (as mentioned above with added cost) or if purchased in qty at same price (I think Qty was 10+, but only really applicable for group buys I guess-when I picked it up they were starting a group buy with the crossed cannon logo similar to the Springfield armory logo-Damn RI gun laws with their 7-day wait). LGS owner told me they are working on integrated trigger guards when I picked it up also.

Cons (so far)-Price. Nothing spectacular about the roll marks or anything else about the lower to really justify $50-$75 price over other billet lowers if they are available (at the time of purchase they weren't). No added features like set screw for rear takedown spring or those lowers with screw to adjust trigger. If they can nudge the price down to compete or offer something the other billet lowers don't have it would help. Buffer tube was somewhat difficult to screw in. It was a mil-spec dimension buffer tube from PSA and I tested it against another forged lower from PSA I have and it screwed in relatively easily on that lower. Maybe the buffer tube or the lower-can't tell.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice to see another lower on the market right now.  Sun devil makes 6000 aluminum  lowers and haven't heard complaints.

That said these aren't anythig new and I can't see why the price tag is so hi.  I can get a forged noveske for 100 less.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an opportunity 4 months ago to start making billet uppers and lowers and for a SMALLER biz $285 is not great, but definitely no out of line for BILLET. I don't know a thing about BANE but Mega is a large company that does much more than make firearms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
$285 is just ridiculous for a lower. Sorry. I'll stick to my peasly little $120 lowers for now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
i'll stick with my 249 dollar seekins at that price.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Receiver looks great!  Simple and clean...

Don't like the price, don't pay it.  I'm sure the more they produce, the less expensive they'll become.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 3:16:53 AM EDT
[#29]
More choices and competition is great for all of us...

Good job BANE!

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I like it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#31]
meh, $285 for a simply looking billet isn't my cup of tea.  Keep it.
If I was going to drop $250+ on a billet lower than it's going from Seekins.  Otherwise I'll take those $150 forge lowers all day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I think a billet lower + interesting material at $285.oo is OK. Lower, of course, we prefer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#33]
High or low shelf?
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow, I just have to ask how? How did you get Chaffee to sign off on this?

To be a manufacturer of firearms in RI, you have to get the Governor's ok.

Whom did you bribe and how much?

Congratulations!

I just left the state for the very reason that it is not friendly to small business, and not very firearms manufacturing friendly.

To people complaining about the price, they apparently don't understand how many bribes it may have taken to even get your business set up, and it is probably an in-built cost.
So $285 is pretty reasonable all things considered.
Also, how does Mayor Fung feel about this business in his town, it must be tough for you.

I hope to see you succeed.

Hopefully you can get those costs down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#35]
80% option possible?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
High or low shelf?

Website says low shelf.

These lower receivers are machined in-house from solid billet aluminum on a modern, multi-axis CNC production mill.
All measures are taken to produce a receiver with a high degree of precision and dimensional accuracy
for the most discriminating AR-platform rifle or pistol builder.

The classic lines of the AR rifle are retained, with the strength and rigidity of a solid, machined component.

They are sold as "receivers", marked "MULTI" for build flexibilty, and are compatible with all MIL-SPEC parts.

Low shelf, EDM-cut magazine well, Full process Hard-Coat Anodized, MIL-8625 Type III

These are currently available for immediate shipment.

Price : $285.00 + shipping

Call for dealer and quantity pricing. Custom engraving is available for orders of 10 or more receivers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#37]
For those complaining about the price. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simply as that. There is no need in knocking the guy on the price.

One possibility on the pricing is the current crisis and the fact that he said they have them in stock ready to ship.
Another is to cover the costs of the $160K machine they're using to make these lowers, plus whatever EDM they're using.

As far as me, I'm on a waiting list for MEGA's matching AMBI sets for .223 and .308 and they're AMBI lower that goes with a standard upper. So I won't be getting one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I like that lower.  Could we get it with safe semi auto engravings?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#42]
You guys are going to have to come way down on those lowers. Tough to pay 200+ dollars when you can buy a Spikes for $105 Shipped....
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those complaining about the price. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simply as that. There is no need in knocking the guy on the price.
View Quote

God forbid we discuss a product in the New AR Products discussion forum!  Oh noes!

I still like the classic look of this billet lower.  I hate Seekins lowers.  Those trigger guards are Fugly.
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top