Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Will it fit under a YHM forearm without modification of said forearm?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Will it fit under a YHM forearm without modification of said forearm?

Purely speculating based off hearsay, it appears you'll need a tube with a least a .9" radius from the centerline of the bore to the inside of the rail.

And as for what may be available without modification ?  The URX which requires a special barrel nut wrench. For those of us using a low profile gas block, the POF Predator (which raises your sight radius by a half an inch).  

I'm going to wait and see if TROY offers anything. Rumor has it, they may.

As a second choice, the LWRC handguard looks promising.  It appears it will work with the ARES system with little or no modification.

LWRC Handguard

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone tried a Vltor CAS-V with one of these? Also will they work with an H-bar?
Link Posted: 3/7/2007 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Yeah, I bought it from you.
Its a kit for a short barrel. Works just fine on my 11.5 with the pinned-welded long FH.

Thanks!

DPMS AP-4... $800
ARES piston kit for short barrels... $400
random surplus ammo... $150
targets and assorted range fees... $25
attempting to slam a company on AR15.com when it doesn't work, selling it to another arfcommer and getting called out on your inability to order the right parts... PRICELESS

any ETA on the rifle length kit?
i assume that the ARES kit works with low-pro gas blocks?
Link Posted: 3/8/2007 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Yeah, I bought it from you.
Its a kit for a short barrel. Works just fine on my 11.5 with the pinned-welded long FH.

Thanks!

DPMS AP-4... $800
ARES piston kit for short barrels... $400
random surplus ammo... $150
targets and assorted range fees... $25
attempting to slam a company on AR15.com when it doesn't work, selling it to another arfcommer and getting called out on your inability to order the right parts... PRICELESS

any ETA on the rifle length kit?
i assume that the ARES kit works with low-pro gas blocks?

Link Posted: 3/8/2007 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Stoner would not be happy!  its a lot harder to design direct gas than a piston system.  M16 should always be direct!  down with the piston!!!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
General question; Has anybody installed this on a 16" barrel, and has anybody installed this with just a gas block as opposed to a full front site gas block? How'd they perform, any problems?
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Team Member Molon did a nice range report on it:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=316338
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The kit looks clean, sounds like it works well. Do smith work myself, if I had come up with that solution that installed as easily as it appears, I'd be proud so Give yourselves some Kudos!
Currently working on my own system, it will be quite different, and I hope it feild tests as well. Nope it won't be for sale....... retired and I work formyself only. Post some pics of some of my creations on the 15's and my 10's later in a different thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Brilliant!
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Brilliant!

h,
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
    I have an idea for clamping the piston housing to the barrel to eliminate the "wiggle".  Possibly a hose clamp wrapped around the piston housing and the barrel with a spacer between the two to maintain alignment.  Well for testing to see if a clamp would affect accuracy or reliability.

The proper way would be to machine a clamp to fit the contours of the barrel and piston housing.  It would be similar in practice as the clamps used on shotguns with magtube extensions.

Just my two cents since the "wiggle" could be accounting for some binding and accuracy loss.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Things clamped to the bbl are not good for accuracy, nor do they hold, the bbl should be as free as possible to vibrate unhindered.

The piston system should be securely fixed to the front sight base/gas block.

Link Posted: 3/15/2007 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Things clamped to the bbl are not good for accuracy, nor do they hold, the bbl should be as free as possible to vibrate unhindered.

If its secure on the gas block why is it wiggling?  Wouldent that cause a loss in acuracy?  Wouldent the weight added to the gas block affect the barrel harmonics anyway?

I'm just sujesting my idea be tested.  Maby it would work maby not.  Hence testing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I can accept that any weight added to the barrel would change the point of impact. But since the added weight and/or spring tension is constant, wouldn't the shift in POI be constant as well?

Seems to me that a lot of people don't like the change because it IS change.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
I can accept that any weight added to the barrel would change the point of impact. But since the added weight and/or spring tension is constant, wouldn't the shift in POI be constant as well?

Seems to me that a lot of people don't like the change because it IS change.

Change can be good.  I supose with a little tweeking the clamp could even act as a harmonic ballancer.  I think further testing would be nessisary.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If its secure on the gas block why is it wiggling?  Wouldent that cause a loss in acuracy?  Wouldent the weight added to the gas block affect the barrel harmonics anyway?

I'm just sujesting my idea be tested.  Maby it would work maby not.  Hence testing.

If you want "your idea" tested, buy one and do it.

"Your idea" has many disadvantages,

More hassle installing/removing

More things contacting the bbl-(read bad)

more screws to shake loose (which they will without red locktight, and then they'll be a bitch to remove)

plus a huge logistical problem due to the MANY bbl diameter variations, mount would pretty much be custom job unless you have a standard profile bbl, read increased cost.

Otherwise, I hope they make improvement on what seems to be a great idea, chrome line the inside, secure it better if it wiggles (to the FSB), and that "bushing" does not look secure to me, does it rely on the roll pin principle to stay put? Wish it locked in somehow if this is the case.

Link Posted: 3/17/2007 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
How hot do the handguards get with the gases venting below the handguard?

I worked on Walt Langendorfer's Rhino conversion kits when I worked for him in the 80s. His gas cylinder mounted in the front site vented upwards infront of the forward site. If your hand slid over the vent holes you would get burned. In full auto the handguards got real hot real fast. When dumping a lot of ammo in semi auto they also heated up. Sometimes the handguard got too hot to hold.

The vent holes did push the barrel down and did help recoil.

Dane
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Dose Ares have any inclination twords making a left-handed bolt carrier?

I would be very interested.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Heck, I'd settle for just a mid-length system...
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Denny,
Thanks for the detailed info (with pics)!

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I just installed my second Ares. I'm hooked!
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Denny,

when are you getting more of these?

Jorge
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heck, I'd settle for just a mid-length system...

The middy will be coming up next.  summer some time I am told.  I await it myself,.

thats what i was kookin for...
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone know is Ares is selling the railed handguard that would fit around this kit yet?
Link Posted: 3/26/2007 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=298471&page=2

You can't really put a folding stock on, can you?

The carrier still fills the upper, and the buffer and spring are still necessary to return the bolt to battery?

On closer inspection, it doesn't look like there's a carrier in the upper in the pic that shows the right side of an AR with folder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=298471&page=2

You can't really put a folding stock on, can you?

The carrier still fills the upper, and the buffer and spring are still necessary to return the bolt to battery?

On closer inspection, it doesn't look like there's a carrier in the upper in the pic that shows the right side of an AR with folder.

no you can use a folding stock with it. the only piston driven uppers you can use a folding stock with is the ZM weapons and the Oyl. Arms.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Dang.  I liked the looks of it when I firs heard of it... now I MUST have one!

Pennies... I need pennies...  
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Denny, any idea when you'll see more of these kits? Or are those already sold out too???
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
height=8
Quoted:
Anyone know is Ares is selling the railed handguard that would fit around this kit yet?

Denny told me a month ago it would be at least 4 to 6 months before it was available. He may have said 6 to 8 months. BTW- today is the 3/29/07.
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#36]
takin' orders Denny?

Jorge
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
no you can use a folding stock with it. the only piston driven uppers you can use a folding stock with is the ZM weapons and the Oyl. Arms.

ZM and OLY don't make piston uppers, AFAIK.  I'm pretty sure both of the uppers you refer to are DI uppers, with a spring in the handguards or something like that.

Guess I'll wait for a MASADA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anybody have these in stock? Has it gone the way of the Shrike?

Jorge
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

ZM and OLY don't make piston uppers, AFAIK.  I'm pretty sure both of the uppers you refer to are DI uppers, with a spring in the handguards or something like that.

Guess I'll wait for a MASADA.

Your right they dont make piston uppers, They say that the system stays cooler and cleaner though. It sure as hell aint worth over $1700.00, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a Troy MRF-C on my 11.5 any idea if material needs to be removed from it to function with the Ares? Just from eye inspection there appears to be about a 1/2" of space currently as these differ from the Surefire handguards. Just wondered if anyone had bought this system with those handguards?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
I have a Troy MRF-C on my 11.5 any idea if material needs to be removed from it to function with the Ares? Just from eye inspection there appears to be about a 1/2" of space currently as these differ from the Surefire handguards. Just wondered if anyone had bought this system with those handguards?

Yes, the pics above are of troy rail work I did.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I joined this forum today expressly to find out the details & user reviews of this ARES GSR-35 Gas Piston Kit. This thread is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I'm an old, experienced gunhand finally building my first AR. Don't laugh...after decades of 1911 & Hi-Power shooting I just bought my first GLOCK last year (old dog/new tricks).

Enough chit-chat. In gathering the parts to assemble my new Gas Piston AR, what parts required for a conventional AR are NOT needed? It seems to be just the bolt/carrier assembly & the gas tube...is that correct?

I ask because I have no interest in replacing new parts with new parts. I've decided on  building a dedicated Gas Piston rifle to begin with. Hell, I have parts around the shop for guns I haven't owned in 15 years. I would like to avoid that (as much as possible) with this project. Thanks for your help.      
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Lemme know when they make one to fit a midlength.   I much prefer the longer sight radius.   ( not to mention my go-to rifle is a middy )
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
I joined this forum today expressly to find out the details & user reviews of this ARES GSR-35 Gas Piston Kit. This thread is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I'm an old, experienced gunhand finally building my first AR. Don't laugh...after decades of 1911 & Hi-Power shooting I just bought my first GLOCK last year (old dog/new tricks).

Enough chit-chat. In gathering the parts to assemble my new Gas Piston AR, what parts required for a conventional AR are NOT needed? It seems to be just the bolt/carrier assembly & the gas tube...is that correct?

I ask because I have no interest in replacing new parts with new parts. I've decided on  building a dedicated Gas Piston rifle to begin with. Hell, I have parts around the shop for guns I haven't owned in 15 years. I would like to avoid that (as much as possible) with this project. Thanks for your help.      

There is talk of a recall on some parts for these things, its the first production run, theres bound to be some issues. Anyway, If I were you I would wait until all the new parts are out, then order one. When you order it though, Denny is the man. GlobalTactical.com

BTW- there is stuff all over the place on the gsr35 here and m4carbine.net to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Ghost-Tracker,

Gas tube and bolt carrier (and gas rings but you typicaly get those with a bolt).  As OTSS said, it might be a good idea to wait until ARES comes out with the next iteration.  There is another thread here somewhere with the details of the changes coming.  300 rds dr with mine and no problems related to the piston system.  Oh, and welcome.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
Ghost-Tracker,

Gas tube and bolt carrier (and gas rings but you typicaly get those with a bolt).  As OTSS said, it might be a good idea to wait until ARES comes out with the next iteration.  There is another thread here somewhere with the details of the changes coming.  300 rds dr with mine and no problems related to the piston system.  Oh, and welcome.

Hey speedy. I would like to know where this thread is, if you know.
BTW- keep your eye on your gas tube roll-pin, they break easy. Just letting you know if you havnt been inlightened yet. See Ya man.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/28/2007 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#48]
What exactly are the changes to the ARES? I have one already and just wondering if I need to be worried about the one I own.

C77
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
What exactly are the changes to the ARES? I have one already and just wondering if I need to be worried about the one I own.

C77Herewww.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=316338&page=7#bottom

Link Posted: 5/4/2007 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#50]
BTW- Denny, have you heard anything more about when the recall will take affect and how we will all find out what to do. Thanx a ton in advance.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top