Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2017 9:28:30 PM EDT
Hi all.
Need to know from the RKI's that are on this forum, what your thoughts:
With the Colt armalite 01 production from serial number 101 through the end of production  14484
1959-early1963.
( info from series variation guide )
From information gathered, and shortcomings identified would it be correct to have a late production Colt Armalite model 01 with some of the faults corrected?
I'm specifically wondering about the first critical updates such as the barrels changing from 1-14 to the 1-12  twist and the flash hiders being of the second type  "strengthened" 3 prong type.
Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard that the late 601s had 1/12 barrels with a cast FSB.  Link to that thread here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/632910_Colt_601_Barrel_Question.html

As far as the 3 prong, I believe that was an improvement that came with the beginning of the 602 but I could be wrong.

Welcome to the Forum!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey very interesting great stuff.
This is what I was thinking was a
Possibility. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
There will be more here to better answer your question.  I've only been doing retros for about a year and a half.  Some of these guys have been in the game since before I was born!  I'm doing a 601 clone as well... Hope you have deep pockets!!!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea stuff is gettn more and more expensive all the time with supplies
Dryin up and navigating the repros that are so close to originals... Wow that a challenge.
And educating yourself, as I'm trying to do now from quality people on this site.  
I am very thankful for this forum and the knowledge out there. It's great.
It has been super helpful.
I have had my " project" for a very long time.  
Always thought about gettn it back to its original state and would pick up
A part here or there, knowing now I passed on way to many of them for other " things that Ya gotta have". :)
No one was Makin repo stuff back then and the first ones to come out were easy to tell.
But now ( good thing and bad thing) some are amazing.
But unfortunately I never got real serious to get it done.
I waited around too long to make it "right" and
It has been a big challenge that's for sure but it's
That way for all of us.
I must admit the education and the hunt has been great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
None of the retro rifles are the best in a combat environment, and we won't use them that way. So I'd go for authenticity, whether original or Repro, and not worry too much about fixing the problems. I love the "sprong" of an Edgewater buffer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This I do know around  serial 800 the duckbill flash hider present  pencil  W barrel 1/12 twist   FSB cast   Charging handle triangle and all bakelite furniture
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This I do know around  serial 800 the duckbill flash hider present  pencil  W barrel 1/12 twist   FSB cast   Charging handle triangle and all bakelite furniture
View Quote
I may be misunderstanding you, but at around serial number 800, they definitely shipped with 1-14 twist barrels.  It was quite late in the production run before they changed to 1-12.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may be misunderstanding you, but at around serial number 800, they definitely shipped with 1-14 twist barrels.  It was quite late in the production run before they changed to 1-12.
View Quote
This was my understanding as well
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top