Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 10:29:51 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy what looks to be  a BFI Windham Maine lower receiver that has a AHF serial prefix. The other numbers are in the range of 2xx.

The receiver is a little darker than early gray but not dark black, It has all the features of an A1

I can find very little to no info on this in regards to it being pre-ban or not.

I wish I had a pic but I don't

Any thoughts?

I was thinking about building a SP1 carbine clone with it using a CH forged code upper and early CMPB 16" barrel etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
AHF "American Historical Foundation".

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/6340778

This is probably what it is/was. Full fence would not be suitable for SP1. Not sure if they were made before 94 or not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AHF "American Historical Foundation".

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/6340778

This is probably what it is/was. Full fence would not be suitable for SP1. Not sure if they were made before 94 or not.
View Quote
Those look like shit!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those look like shit!  
View Quote
I second that
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a chance to buy what looks to be  a BFI Windham Maine lower receiver that has a AHF serial prefix. The other numbers are in the range of 2xx.

The receiver is a little darker than early gray but not dark black, It has all the features of an A1

I can find very little to no info on this in regards to it being pre-ban or not.

I wish I had a pic but I don't

Any thoughts?

I was thinking about building a SP1 carbine clone with it using a CH forged code upper and early CMPB 16" barrel etc etc.
View Quote

Hello.  Is the lower engraved all over the place?  :)  If you're worried about returning it to its original colors you could spray paint it gray but it will scratch off easily.  A more permanent solution would be something like Norrells molly resin.  The lower is full fence so a more accurate clone would be a select fire carbine made from 74-82.  (I'm not familiar with the model numbers)  Are you sure about the barrel markings?  If it is a 16" SP1 carbine barrel I believe it would be marked "C MP CHROME BORE."  I'm assuming your upper receiver is forward assist, is that correct?  Can you post pictures of what you have?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind these were meant to be a Vietnam War commemorative collectible not a retro clone like we know them today.  When these were made I doubt there were many people out there worried about cloning a rifle that was still for the most part in active service.  I also have to say that the many Vietnam Veterans he has shown it to have been quite impressed and pleased by it, especially considering that at the time this was made not many people or organizations were doing much to acknowledge the Vietnam War or Vietnam Veterans at all.

Below is a repeat of a previous post I made on these rifles last year along with a link to it:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=704031

Though I have been building retro inspired rifles for some time now my Dad who is a Vietnam Veteran and carried an actual M16 in Vietnam (1968-1969) did not have a retro type rifle.  Unlike myself he is not much of a gun collector or enthusiast but last year he purchased this American Historical Foundation / B.F.I. (Bushmaster) Vietnam War Commemorative M16 (Semi-Auto) rifle pictured below.  These commemorative rifles were made in the 1980s and have been talked about in the forum in past, though I did not see many pictures, so I figured I would take some of his rifle and discuss it a bit. They made 1,500 of these and this particular rifle is one of the earlier ones having a serial number within the first 500. It was also made (atleast the A1 style lower receiver for sure) during the few year time period in the 1980s while Bushmaster was located in Portland, Maine. The rifle does appear to have been fired but is showing very little use and is still in very nice condition. I have not completely torn it apart but just in a quick look I have found the following:

A1 style (Anchor Harvey forged) upper receiver
A1 style lower receiver
Pencil barrel with non "F" marked front sight base (did not see any barrel markings yet)
AR15 bolt carrier
Later style ejection port door cover
Early Colt .223 marked 20-round magazine

It appears that all the parts and components were brand new prior to assembly including the commemorative modified and texture painted furniture.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It  is not all pimped out like that.

It looks likes like an early Eagle arms A1 style pre-ban lower but it is marked:

B,F.I.
  WINDHAM, ME.
        U.S.A.
CAL. 223 - 5.556MM
  MOD. XM15-E2S
       AHF 2xx

Other than the safe and semi on the selector side, It has no other markings but has all A1 features. just like an early pre-ban EA
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
On the pimped out gun is the lower actually engraved or the lines and deco just painted on?

Also in regards to 16" CMPB marked barrels I have two that came off of very early SP1 carbines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
It is like this one with same amrking but A1 style

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/bushmaster-rifles/b-f-i-windham-me-usa-bushmaster.cfm?gun_id=100883818
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On the pimped out gun is the lower actually engraved or the lines and deco just painted on?
View Quote
The upper and lower receivers along with the ejection port door are all engraved.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is like this one with same amrking but A1 style

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/bushmaster-rifles/b-f-i-windham-me-usa-bushmaster.cfm?gun_id=100883818
View Quote
I have never seen one of those "plain" style American Historical Foundation / Bushmaster rifles but judging by the pictures the sellers information may be correct other then their stated year range.  I don't think they would have been building it on an A2 style lower receiver until years later especially since Bushmaster was not back in Windham Maine until around 1988 I believe.  The one you are looking at is possibly part of the same series of American Historical Foundation / Bushmaster rifles as the one you have linked but manufactured a little earlier though still in 1988 or later since Bushmaster was in Portland Maine from 1983 until sometime around 1988.  I would speculate that since it is an A1 style lower receiver that it is most likely pre-ban.

I have done some research on both the first generation of the American Historical Foundation Vietnam War "Commemorative" marked rifles using A1 upper and lower receivers made in the 1980's like the one I pictured along with the second generation American Historical Foundation Vietnam War "Tribute" marked rifles using A2 upper and lower receivers made in the early 1990's.  Both series were made over a few year period and each time there could have been some variations on parts used throughout their respective runs because of availability.

From some of the information I have gathered they were even able to make about 50 rifles in the early part of the first run that were actually full auto and made for a select group of elite individuals.  I have not seen any of those to confirm that though.

As someone else stated above the one you are looking at probably would not be a good candidate for a SP1 clone since it has a full fence. Definitely may be good for various other A1 builds though!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually what I meant by SP1 carbine build was a 16" mdl 653 which I think this lower would be perfect for.

The guy is asking 1500 for the lower with a CH 603 upper with triangular handguards and CMP Chrome Bore barrel and a A1 grip and D stock.

At that price I am primarily wanting to have some good idea it is a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The lowers and uppers were made by Olympic Arms under contract by BFI.  At that time, BFI had not grown enough to make their own.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love to have that rifle
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually I just bought it.

I wll try to get some pics up later.

What is the lastest pic hsoting de jour site?

I know we have been having problems with photo bucket
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright. Here it is.

I ended up paying $1545 delivered. I little risky but I am pretty confident is is a very early preban special run and if so then close enough or even better in my opinion to a SP1

Don't be shy now I have done the dew so all comments are welcome ..... even if they sting a bit

Gb# 683483300
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The rifle you picked up is a later one than the commemorative one pictured above.  Yours was made after BFI moved from Portland Maine to Windham Maine.  It's not a Olympic Arms contracted lower, but likely pre-ban as the A2 profile ones started showing up just before the ban.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
One interesting observation Is the A2 lower above is  Ser. # AHF 221 and the one I bought is AFH 231. All other manufacturing and model stamping are the same

See comparative links

A2 lower

A1 lower

Gb# 683483300

Probably not a steal but considering it is a gray colored pre-ban as opposed to the more common non colt black, it should make a nice host
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I received the rifle and want to post pics. I have previously posted from photobucket

It has been a while so is PB still Ok or is there a better place to host?

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I received the rifle and want to post pics. I have previously posted from photobucket

It has been a while so is PB still Ok or is there a better place to host?

Thanks

Travis
View Quote
Hello, I think everyone is using imgur.  I haven't had time to use it much.

http://imgur.com/
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks

I will try it this weekend
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top