Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2017 9:38:22 PM EDT
I know these are a "Frankenstein-rifle" of the USAF, but curious what the "correct" color and finish (I.e. Matte, slight gloss, etc.) of an arsenal refinished version.  I looked on retro black rifle, and the pics were not real clear on a color.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are a few. Any color of black rattle can over any shade of gray or black anodizing looks good. I like the textured Rustoleum black. A little Solid film lube/sandstorm 9 over the rattle can always helps too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Matt!  You Da Man!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here are a few. Any color of black rattle can over any shade of gray or black anodizing looks good. I like the textured Rustoleum black. A little Solid film lube/sandstorm 9 over the rattle can always helps too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356967/DSC02928_zpsfzjrigpq-282735.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356967/familyseaworld008_zps4480d6cd-282736.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356967/GAUmarkings_zps3tqnoezp-282737.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356967/IMG_0899-282738.JPG
View Quote
Hey that's my boot in the second pic!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks Matt!  You Da Man!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really appreciated you posting those!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Or the original Colt grey if the later version.

By later, I mean the commerically marked "M-16A1" lowers, probably from 653s
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, here are the rest of that I took for those that missed them. All of these had standard M4 profile barrels and 4 pos. CAR stocks except one which had an M4 stock

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for sharing!  It's really interesting to see the one with the A2 profile lower.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to mention that I think 2 of those were actually slick uppers as well. Its ben nearly ten years now though so I could be way off. Ill have to through some other pics to see if I have any of the other sides.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention that I think 2 of those were actually slick uppers as well. Its ben nearly ten years now though so I could be way off. Ill have to through some other pics to see if I have any of the other sides.
View Quote
Last time I looked at the current AFTO 5 or so years ago, pencil barrels and slick uppers were al GTG. Army just didn't allow A1 parts for ILO missions supported by the AF. We deployed plenty of  1/7 .625 barrels & slick uppers up until 2012ish to the AOR. When I left in 14 it was a full on transition to the M4, even training weapons were replaced. I remember being amazed they were still going out and it was ok by the TO and line remarks. Mutt is almost an understatement.

Would love more pics! I didn't take any as I wasn't really into it then. It was just old junk.

This was one of my rifles in 03-04
Aluminum stock, M16A1 lower, A2 upper, non M4 cut GL capable 14.5 barrel, skinny single shield hand guards. I went with an A2, but swapped out in country to the carbine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
One more question...if they switched all these out to m4 barrels, would they have had "f" marked front sight bases/gas blocks on them?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top