Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2017 12:53:41 AM EDT
I think that it was the Type E (storage compartment) stock.  I have seen pics and film clips of soldiers in Vietnam with full fence A1s, birdcage FH, and Type D stocks.  But I don't know when the chrome bore came along.  Maybe there's something else I'm not thinking of.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome bores and Type E stocks started being added in 71 and we were still sending troops there as well. Not sure which one came out first however.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chrome bores and Type E stocks started being added in 71 and we were still sending troops there as well. Not sure which one came out first however.
View Quote
I just want to add that when the M16A1 was first issued, it came with the D type stock and a 3-prong FH. Later in 1967, the birdcage FH replaced the 3-prong. Around late 1967 to early 1968, they made the move to a chrome chambered barrel. This happened just after the birdcage FH came about.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just want to add that when the M16A1 was first issued, it came with the D type stock and a 3-prong FH. Later in 1967, the birdcage FH replaced the 3-prong. Around late 1967 to early 1968, they made the move to a chrome-lined barrel. This happened just after the birdcage FH came about.
View Quote
So you think the E stock was the last mod?  Were dimples all gone by this point?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So you think the E stock was the last mod?  Were dimples all gone by this point?
View Quote
For the most part, if not entirely, the dimples were gone with the XM16E1.

Just a word on the stocks, which doesn't really mean anything toward your question, but the Type D's were still being used into the early 90's. At least 1 of my issued rifles had a Type D, and that particular rifle was issued to me in 88 and I carried it into the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I also carried a D stock in the 90s...but that was USAF...604s never had E stocks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I also carried a D stock in the 90s...but that was USAF...604s never had E stocks.
View Quote
I was in the Army, and the only rifles that I ever carried (not counting when I was on an M60 team), were A1's. We never got any A2's. Never even so much as saw an A2, other than in magazines like SoF.

I actually didn't even remember that I carried a Type D until I was looking through some old pictures of me with my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was in the Army, and the only rifles that I ever carried (not counting when I was on an M60 team), were A1's. We never got any A2's. Never even so much as saw an A2, other than in magazines like SoF.

I actually didn't even remember that I carried a Type D until I was looking through some old pictures of me with my rifle.
View Quote
Yeah, I never saw anything but 604s.  Handled dozens of those, fired thousands of rounds......of blanks.

Heard talk of 3RB coming down the pike, but never saw an A2, a carbine, or a forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, I never saw anything but 604s.  Handled dozens of those, fired thousands of rounds......of blanks.

Heard talk of 3RB coming down the pike, but never saw an A2, a carbine, or a forward assist.
View Quote
The only time we fired blanks was when we were using MILES gear. I still have about 30 rounds of blanks from back in the day, in fact.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone actually seen the luminous front sight of the late A1?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only time we fired blanks was when we were using MILES gear. I still have about 30 rounds of blanks from back in the day, in fact.
View Quote
Yep, same here.  Anyone who'd been through Mob School could volunteer as an aggressor (like OpFor) against later classes.  I did it as often as I could, it was a blast and it got me out of the shop.  On the last day of field week the aggressors would simulate an overrunning force, and the trainees would learn site egress.  We were to get close to the camp but stay out of sight, and make as much noise as we could.  It was the only time we were allowed to go full auto.  We'd load as many magazines full of blanks as we could fit in all those BDU pockets and just let it rip.  Good times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
^ Well, actually now that I think about it, we didn't use MILES gear on the site overrun day, because we stayed just out of sight and made noise.  The rest of the week we did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not me, when did that come around?

(post 2000)
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just want to add that when the M16A1 was first issued, it came with the D type stock and a 3-prong FH. Later in 1967, the birdcage FH replaced the 3-prong. Around late 1967 to early 1968, they made the move to a chrome-lined barrel. This happened just after the birdcage FH came about.
View Quote
I think all M16 and M16A1 rifles shipped with chrome bores, modern BCGs, and birdcage/A1 flash suppressors. A1 had E stock and M16 kept D stock. Older XM16 and XM16E1 rifles were updated during rebuilds. USAF XM16 usually kept their chrome BCG if they had one.

The early rifle with 3-prong and type D stock would be an XM16 or XM16E1. Both started with full chrome BCG which was phased out. First they chrome plated the chambers, then bore+chamber. When they dropped the X prefix, all the above features were standardized.

Colt model 603 can be an XM16E1 or M16A1.
Colt model 604 can be XM16 or M16.

There was a MWO to replace all Edgewater buffers with the current rifle buffer and they were ordered destroyed. Not sure if that was before or after M16A1 adoption. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think all M16 and M16A1 rifles shipped with chrome bores, modern BCGs, and birdcage/A1 flash suppressors. A1 had E stock and M16 kept D stock. Older XM16 and XM16E1 rifles were updated during rebuilds. USAF XM16 usually kept their chrome BCG if they had one.

The early rifle with 3-prong and type D stock would be an XM16 or XM16E1. Both started with full chrome BCG which was phased out. First they chrome plated the chambers, then bore+chamber. When they dropped the X prefix, all the above features were standardized.

There was a MWO to replace all Edgewater buffers with the current rifle buffer and they were ordered destroyed. Not sure if that was before or after M16A1 adoption. 
View Quote
Do a little more research. The early (circa 1967) M16A1 did not have a chrome bore. In late 1967 to early 1968, they did have chrome chambers. It was basically an XM16E1 with a full-fence lower. It was not until late 1971 that they had chrome bore barrels. The early M16A1 may have had either a chrome or phosphate BCG. Also, the E type stock did not appear until 1971.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, in 1972 at Ft. Knox, KY in a night firing course.  The front sight had a radioactive capsule inserted into the front post.  The rear flip sight had what now is the Large Close Combat Aperature.  I seem to recall a later MWO recalling all of the radioactive capsules for proper disposition.

--fjruple
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do a little more research. The early (circa 1967) M16A1 did not have a chrome bore. It was basically an XM16E1 with a full-fence lower. It was not until late 1967-early 1968 that they had chrome bore barrels and birdcage FHs. It may have had either a chrome or phosphate BCG. Also, the E type stock did not appear until 1971.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a little more research. The early (circa 1967) M16A1 did not have a chrome bore. It was basically an XM16E1 with a full-fence lower. It was not until late 1967-early 1968 that they had chrome bore barrels and birdcage FHs. It may have had either a chrome or phosphate BCG. Also, the E type stock did not appear until 1971.
Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. The C means Colt’s, the M means Magnetic particle inspected, the P for Proof fired, and the B for chrome Bore. The barrel extention on these not chromed:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/241681_.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. The C means Colt’s, the M means Magnetic particle inspected, the P for Proof fired, and the B for chrome Bore. The barrel extention on these not chromed:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/241681_.html
View Quote
I stand corrected. I was mistaking the chrome chamber introduction to being the chrome bore. Chrome bore did not happen until 1971 as evidenced by the above quote. My mistake. I guess it helps if I read a little slower at times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
So we have a specific month and serial number for the chrome bores.  Is it probable that the E stock came before Dec '71?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So we have a specific month and serial number for the chrome bores.  Is it probable that the E stock came before Dec '71?
View Quote
It is possible that it may have been introduced before December 1971, but it still would have been in 1971.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I own one... Still glows, but very faintly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#22]
The LLLSS tritium front sight post and enlarged rear sight were standard on our A1s (83-86).
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top