Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
I've got my A1 barrel, now I need an upper and lower. I've used Nodak for AK receivers in the past and have been very pleased. Brownell's has A1 uppers and lowers in stock, but the color is black and the upper carry handle is apparently slightly out of spec. I could go Brownell's and use Norrels to get the A1 grey, or I could put a NDS order in and wait 6-8 months.

I'm leaning toward the Brownell's as I'm experienced with Norrels and have had good success and this rifle is going to be a shooter and not necessarily 100% "clone correct".

Thoughts? Is NDS really at a 6-8 month wait time?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thoughts? Is NDS really at a 6-8 month wait time?
View Quote

Yes, it is really that long.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Brownells uses Nodak's forges but I believe someone else finishes them so both should be very close. At that point it is which color you want vs the time it is going to take to get(or the effort to refinish).
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how correct you want to be.  You can still source colt m16a1 kits but they are pricey.  If you just want the look im sure brownells will work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh531/A1Bandit/received_437295336647492_zpsolyeplcr.jpeg

Brownells NDS upper with norrells. NDS forging removed. Older uppers had issues. They are good now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Double post
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing to be aware of with Brownells A1 Lowers, they have 'Safe/Fire' on the right side of the receiver. So if you get that lower and you want it to be correct, you'll have to fix that some way. Otherwise, it'll just be incorrect. If that matters to you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are as restless as I am....Brownells
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing to be aware of with Brownells A1 Lowers, they have 'Safe/Fire' on the right side of the receiver. So if you get that lower and you want it to be correct, you'll have to fix that some way. Otherwise, it'll just be incorrect. If that matters to you.
View Quote
I thought they ended up saying that was a mistake and the new ones wouldn't have it on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought they ended up saying that was a mistake and the new ones wouldn't have it on the right hand side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, the first small run had the right side markings, the second batch didn't, and the most recent (current) batch had them again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, the first small run had the right side markings, the second batch didn't, and the most recent (current) batch had them again.
View Quote
Did any of their lowers come out right? I thought all of their batches had the markings on the right side.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't care. Clone correct down to that level doesn't matter to me. As long as it looks and feels like an A1 that's all I really care about. It's not a collectors item, and regardless it's missing some holes/parts to really be "correct" no matter what.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I put in an order with NODAK on December 6 and received the upper and lower receiver a couple of weeks ago.  The quality is well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put in an order with NODAK on December 6 and received the upper and lower receiver a couple of weeks ago.  The quality is well worth the wait.
View Quote
But the wait can be frustrating...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I use nodak , I waited 6 months for my lower/upper for my SBR  gau5-a clone and my to be 605 clone. They are worth the wait. Plus I like to put money in Nodaks pocket book , they have done more for this retro community than any other individuals, well John Thomas is up there too, bit the point still stands. Buy from nodak and you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell me about it lmao.. I Pre-Ordered 1 in Late March.. Hope it ships soon
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top