Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2017 9:29:58 PM EDT
Is anyone aside from NDS making slickside a1 uppers?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton had some slick sides awhile back, not sure if they still do or not.

BTW, there is no such thing as a slick side A1.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTW, there is no such thing as a slick side A1.
View Quote
You beat me to it lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
^haha sorry I'm not the best with the nomenclature...while I was writing it, I thought, this is probably not right.....

ETA: I guess it's used on the 601/602/604, but what would the name of that receiver be, simply slickside upper?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you wanting to build, maybe we can help you with more information.

Theres usually SP1 uppers on GB
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I just bought a transferable colt m16a1, and I want to build a retro inspired 9mm upper for it, but not necessarily the DOE upper.

What I'm imagining is a slickside upper with the 9mm half sized ejection port cover and the polymer gas/case deflector.  Also a 10.5" barrel with the skinny carbine handguards, or even the cutdown triangle handguards.  It's actually pretty damn close to the DOE upper now that I think about it
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It's actually pretty much the 635 that I want to build.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Shit, wrong forum. Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
601, 602, 604 and 9mm uppers are all different. Among other things, the 601 has no windage drum markings, the 602 has engraved markings, and the 604 has raised markings. The 9mm has no gas tube hole. So most people refer to the upper by the number. Since the 9mm uppers encompass multiple models, I guess a 9mm upper can be called a slickside 9mm, but "9mm A1 upper" is in common use, although perhaps not technically correct, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well I just bought a transferable colt m16a1, and I want to build a retro inspired 9mm upper for it, but not necessarily the DOE upper.

What I'm imagining is a slickside upper with the 9mm half sized ejection port cover and the polymer gas/case deflector.  Also a 10.5" barrel with the skinny carbine handguards, or even the cutdown triangle handguards.  It's actually pretty damn close to the DOE upper now that I think about it
View Quote
To do a Colt style 9mm, you will have to drill the mag well on the lower for the magazine inserts, the ejector, and the feed ramp. I don't think you wanna do that to a transferable M16A1. You would also end up changing the bolt stop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys, someone here hooked me up with a colt 9mm upper receiver.

I'm not planning to permanently modify my lower for 9mm.  Just want to slap a 9mm upper on it, swap out the buffer, and drop in a mag block when I want to shoot 9mm.

And treetop, definitely good advice....but I do like the hunt
I have quite some time to peice this together also, just sent the forms out last week.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You should end up with a Colt 9mm upper receiver like the one circled below.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
An original Colt 9mm slickside style upper receiver will have two distinct features as pictured below.  It will not have a front gas tube hole and it will not have a bolt cam pin relief cut.  You can use a standard .223/5.56 upper with a 9mm bolt but not the other way around without some drilling or machining.  Some 9mm upper receivers do have the cam pin relief cut (mainly later or flat tops) so you can drill the gas tube hole (places like ADCO offer it as a service) but without the relief cut it won't work as a .223/5.56 or the like.  Most places do not want to get involved machining the cam pin relief for some reason.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for that info enthusiast!

I'm waiting on the colt 9mm upper like you posted above.
I've decided on doing a 9mm Franken-607 upper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Bending_R,

Sent you an Email.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
You might want to do some research ramped bolts for the 9mm setup.  The original setup has a reputation for being a bit harder on the trigger pins and causing damage to the lower receiver's pin holes, especially in a full auto setup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You might want to do some research ramped bolts for the 9mm setup.  The original setup has a reputation for being a bit harder on the trigger pins and causing damage to the lower receiver's pin holes, especially in a full auto setup.
View Quote
Yes I would definitely suggest an improved design (ramped) bolt as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks wangstang.
I've done a good amount of research on 9mm parts.
I'm either planning to use SS hammer and trigger pins, or kns anti rotational pins on the lower.  
Definitely a ramped bolt, and a 5-7 oz standard length buffer.

Don't let my lack of knowledge on the names of uppers, and retro parts fool you.
Although I am new to the 9mm AR15/m16 platform.
I've been shooting 9mm out of a mac10/9 and a sten mkii, so now I need to get setup for the m16!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To do a Colt style 9mm, you will have to drill the mag well on the lower for the magazine inserts, the ejector, and the feed ramp. I don't think you wanna do that to a transferable M16A1. You would also end up changing the bolt stop.
View Quote
Lots of aftermarket blocks that don't require permanent mods.  I think mine is an old ASA drop in.  The drop in ones are great.  Takes two seconds, the only thing is you don't have a bolt hold open.  You could always install a 9mm long tail BHO but then it wouldn't really be a drop in any more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't plan to utilize a last round bolt hold open, as I've read this can absolutely cause damage to the bolt catch area of the receiver.  It has to do with the different length of the 9mm bolt vs the standard bolt/carrier.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top