Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 9:21:28 PM EDT
Well it's been almost three years in the making and simply started out as accidentally coming across some GM parts. I then took on the task and now that it's done it's somewhat bitter sweet. I normally don't name my rifles but due to the red stenciling of 13 on the HG's it seemed like a no brainer.  A big thanks to Boywonder777, MX56, kkrad, 37thguy, Braceman, MrM1A1, Kalahnikid, BROvet04 and M16indiana for all the input, corrections and parts. If I forgot anyone sorry. The GM parts used in this build are:

Complete GM upper/barrel
NOS BCG
Stock, HG's and grip
Demilled front half of GM receiver
Trigger
Hammer
Safety
Bolt catch
Original hammer/trigger springs,
magazine release button
magazine catch
front pivot pin
hammer pin
trigger guard
buffer

Thread is worthless without pics.
The beginnings.....

Fire control parts:

NOS BCG

After the Braceman weld job (freaking amazing!!!)

Getting her put together and the rest of the story.
The muzzle is so tight on this barrel that is doesn't allow in a USGI muzzle erosion gauge.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful.  Awesome perseverence and networking.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That is stunning, beautiful, inspirational, and dead sexy!

The lower reweld alone is amazing.

Thats one of my favorite builds Ive seen on here in a long time! CONGRATULATIONS!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the kind words Kalahnikid! For a while I never thought I'd get her done.  I can't even imagine trying to do a H&R build.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Great stuff, Taz.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well done Good sir!
i think this should be sticky reference for gm builds
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good, wish I could find the parts to do one but some of the prices these days are crazy!

If I finally found all of the parts to build a repro, it would cost me more than what I paid for my original M16A1 way back when!

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good, wish I could find the parts to do one but some of the prices these days are crazy!

If I finally found all of the parts to build a repro, it would cost me more than what I paid for my original M16A1 way back when!

View Quote
I have a ritual where I spend 5 to 10 minutes a day searching GB and the EE for retro parts including GM stuff and besides GM furniture nothing worthwhile has shown up in months. This build cost me more than what my dad paid for a US Property marked Colt M16A1 back in 1983 which, including the stamp was about $900.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks amazing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a ritual where I spend 5 to 10 minutes a day searching GB and the EE for retro parts including GM stuff and besides GM furniture nothing worthwhile has shown up in months. This build cost me more than what my dad paid for a US Property marked Colt M16A1 back in 1983 which, including the stamp was about $900.
View Quote
He paid about the same as I did at the same time in history, the last one I bought cost me a hell of a lot more money from a buddy of mine, but not as much as they are selling for now!

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#12]
That turned out awesome!  I am still working on my GM.  All I have to do is put the finish on it.  Building an H&R is a real challenge!  Was looking for the correct bolt for my H&R and two came on GB at the same time, so I bought them both!!  Let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Great work! Love rewelds and that is a sweet one. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Badass!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That turned out awesome!  I am still working on my GM.  All I have to do is put the finish on it.  Building an H&R is a real challenge!  Was looking for the correct bolt for my H&R and two came on GB at the same time, so I bought them both!!  Let us know how it shoots!
View Quote
Thanks. I already test fired the upper and it's THE most accurate USGI old school barrel (sub MOA at 50 yards during a test fire) that I have ever fired. Based on no muzzle wear and the rifling being mint I'm guessing it was rarely fired. The original GM trigger does not like the newer semi hammer that I have in it. The trigger reset clunks like when I put my Harley in gear. I'll probably end up putting the GM hammer in it but I hate to have to neuter it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Nicely done Taz.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks. I already test fired the upper and it's THE most accurate USGI old school barrel (sub MOA at 50 yards during a test fire) that I have ever fired. Based on no muzzle wear and the rifling being mint I'm guessing it was rarely fired. The original GM trigger does not like the newer semi hammer that I have in it. The trigger reset clunks like when I put my Harley in gear. I'll probably end up putting the GM hammer in it but I hate to have to neuter it.
View Quote
I know, I hated to neuter my XM16E1, H&R, and GM parts, but you don't want to leave yourself open if law enforcement wants to inspect it.  I would rather have my rifles with all the original parts even if they are neutered.  What did you put on your lower for a black finish?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice, takes me back to the good ole days. Was assigned one during basic at Benning, and then another at my first go around with the 24th ID. Both were great shooters. I had to do 100 push-ups late one night because of tightest fitting set of handguards ever slapped on a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know, I hated to neuter my XM16E1, H&R, and GM parts, but you don't want to leave yourself open if law enforcement wants to inspect it.  I would rather have my rifles with all the original parts even if they are neutered.  What did you put on your lower for a black finish?
View Quote
I used DuraCoat "matte black" applied with a HVLP air brush. It's the closest thing I could find to match the front half of the receiver which matched the upper almost perfectly. It was also my first attempt at using an air brush and I think I did OK. It was a bit intimidating at first but now that I'm doing my own 80% receivers this as pretty easy.  I probably went through about 8 different black swatches before I found the right match. I might end up going the DuraCoat route with my XM style NDS lower for my super early 604 build. I know a lot here hate the DuraCoat but this isn't going to be a trunk gun by any means so I'm not worried about severe wear and tear on the receiver finish wise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks great. Very nice lower.

I'm jealous of that charging handle. It's the last thing I need for my GM build. I need to get some pics of that posted.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Just listed on GB if anyone else has the desire to restore one of these.  Not mine or no connection with seller so just an FYI.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/662207098
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Notice the front retainer lugs have been sheared off on this GB one. Is that even going to be rebuildable?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad to see that you put that original Hydramatic charging handle to VERY good use. Your build is simply AWESOME!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm glad to see that you put that original Hydramatic charging handle to VERY good use. Your build is simply AWESOME!
View Quote
Super nice build. Great details, and a shooter to boot.

Re the charging handle; Remind me why the Hydros have the little dots there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I've always ass-u-me(d) that the marks were caused by a production machining fixture, aka they are "witness marks".
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top