Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 5:42:31 PM EDT
Picked this up yesterday for the various parts and don't plan to keep them together.  Its a Colt SPII complete lower half and what appears to be a complete upper assemble from BCM (BCM BFH upper, barrel, Mod 0 comp, Gunfighter charging handle and a Daniel Defense Lite Rail II).  You might have seen me post about this is the regular "Discussion" forum.

Since the lower is a "slabside" and looks like an A1 profile, will it make for a good retro build (other than the large front pivot pin)?  Or should I do something else with it?  Like find a Sporter II upper.  [I had a Colt Sporter II that I bought in 1987 or 88 and of course never noticed that the lower was any different from M16s.  I was only 16 or 17 after all.  I do know that my old Sporter II had A2 sights on the upper.]

SN is SP3312xx

Thoughts?

Rob
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need to swap off the A2-length buttstock and A2 pistol grip if you want to use the slabside lower for an authentic earlier-model build. Other than the rollmark, there is no difference between an SP1 lower and a Sporter II lower, but they came with the A2 lower furniture.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a valuable lower, being pre-ban and all, I have seen them sell for $1000 on GB. If it were mine, I'd probably sell the lower by itself on gunbroker to fund a complete nodak or brownells rifle or maybe 2 if you shop around and get deals, and put that upper on a modern lower. Nice find
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the state you live in a ban state? Probably why it was in that configuration.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't the state you live in a ban state? Probably why it was in that configuration.
View Quote
Nah...Washington is NOT a ban state and hopefully won't be, though the state libs are trying.  It is possible that this came into WA this way from a ban state.  We do have a lot of military folks in the area.

Yes, I have considered selling the lower to fund a whole rifle and may do that.  

Rob
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The military models started to get fences pretty early.  

Colt 604/M16A1:

Colt 603/M16E1

Your lower would work for a Colt 601 or 602 clone.  Check out http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ or the retro forum here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to keep the lower, I have an SP1 upper (with sights & door) I might would trade for the DD rail (if 7" long)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top