Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2017 4:50:52 PM EDT
When looking at standard A2 forged 80% lowers are there any specific manufacturers or makes to avoid?  I'm just looking for a standard 7075 forged aluminum and T6 heat treated lower that is in the white.  I've seen prices that vary from about $30 to $75 for these lowers.  I just can't find anything that jumps out as different when comparing several popular options.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The only brands that I've used are AR Stoner and Anderson, though I've also used a NoDak Spud, but you said A2.

The only thing about the AR Stoner that I don't like is that it has 'Safe' 'Fire' on both sides of the receiver. The Anderson had no engraving at all. Both of them had the rear shelf pre-milled.

That all said, I wouldn't buy either of those (or any other A2 lower) for a retro rifle, at this point. I'll be getting at least one more 80%, possibly (probably), two more. One to replace an Anderson A2 on my A1 and one for a future XM177E2 build.

Of those two A2 lowers though, I think I like the Andersons better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Some are out of spec garbage. Be sure you test fit parts and pins before you have a lot of expensive work done! I found out first hand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some are out of spec garbage. Be sure you test fit parts and pins before you have a lot of expensive work done! I found out first hand.
View Quote
The first AR Stoner that I did, the mag release hole seems to have been milled off kilter. When I milled the fire control pocket, the hole went into the fire control pocket.

I called customer service about it and they said that a couple of others had that issue, and they sent me a replacement. I never did mill the second one though. I gave it to a friend and he did, and that new one was fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true.

I used a different company that will remain nameless. After doing the FCG machining, the pivot & takedown pins wouldn't align. At first the company fought me and blamed me, then after I sent pics, they acknowledged "...a case of lowers fell and one that got damaged snuck through..." what puzzled me was the degree of slop in the template/jig. It was really tight, but fit. I only had one upper that would fit, which was odd.

I never had trouble with Tactical Machining, but they are A2, forged.

I have no experience with the brands you mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is true.

I used a different company that will remain nameless. After doing the FCG machining, the pivot & takedown pins wouldn't align. At first the company fought me and blamed me, then after I sent pics, they acknowledged "...a case of lowers fell and one that got damaged snuck through..." what puzzled me was the degree of slop in the template/jig. It was really tight, but fit. I only had one upper that would fit, which was odd.

I never had trouble with Tactical Machining, but they are A2, forged.

I have no experience with the brands you mentioned.
View Quote
I got the TM out of spec nightmare that I had reprofiled by braceman and then anodized just find out the thing was all kinds of out of spec.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I got the TM out of spec nightmare that I had reprofiled by braceman and then anodized just find out the thing was all kinds of out of spec.
View Quote
That's definitely a nightmare. Around $300 I would start my guess at?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My $300+ paperweight.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My $300+ paperweight.
View Quote
Was that a Tactical Machining 80% lower? I have three I've yet to touch. But plan on working on soon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes tactical machining.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been happy with Anderson. They're also one of the cheapest brands...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was that a Tactical Machining 80% lower? I have three I've yet to touch. But plan on working on soon.
View Quote
I would hate to admit how many Tactical Machining 80% lowers I've completed.  

The only problem I ever had was when I drilled the Hammer pin hole in the wrong position.

Other than that self-inflicted issue, they've always been fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would hate to admit how many Tactical Machining 80% lowers I've completed.  

The only problem I ever had was when I drilled the Hammer pin hole in the wrong position.

Other than that self-inflicted issue, they've always been fine.  
View Quote
I thought they were one of the better 80% lowers out there. BROVet's being the only one I've heard of having issues.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Front pivot pin detent drilled off center and mag button recess out of spec! That's my luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used several TacticalMachining, and a few from what used to be Ares. (Renamed now, after their run-in with atf).....and one from NODAK.  I REALLY liked the NODAK. A LOT.
  I have reprofiled the aforementioned forst two brands to A1 config. The NODAK was an A1.  I still had to do a small amount of mods to the NODAK, to achieve my desired results, but was well worth the added expense to get their lower.  It had the heavy flashing on the parting line. (Good, for my purpose)  Most others have the flash machined off...not good in my book.  I did feel the need to change the machining/tooling marks between the front pivot pin ears, and rework the bolt release bosses to the earlier/smaller bosses as used on the xm16e1 and other early models.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have used several TacticalMachining, and a few from what used to be Ares. (Renamed now, after their run-in with atf).....and one from NODAK.  I REALLY liked the NODAK. A LOT.
  I have reprofiled the aforementioned forst two brands to A1 config. The NODAK was an A1.  I still had to do a small amount of mods to the NODAK, to achieve my desired results, but was well worth the added expense to get their lower.  It had the heavy flashing on the parting line. (Good, for my purpose)  Most others have the flash machined off...not good in my book.  I did feel the need to change the machining/tooling marks between the front pivot pin ears, and rework the bolt release bosses to the earlier/smaller bosses as used on the xm16e1 and other early models.
View Quote
The only thing that I didn't like about the NoDak, was the selector detent hole needing to be drilled. Before I ever did an 80%, that was a deal killer for me. I can do it, but I much prefer that to be done.

Take that single factor out, and I love their stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Front pivot pin detent drilled off center and mag button recess out of spec! That's my luck!
View Quote
Dude! Sorry to hear this. I guess I had better luck, other than the other the company.

I wish I could help. I know first hand how miserable it is to machine everything perfectly, only to find the pre-machined work is shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Out of the forged ones I did I liked the DS Arms lower the best. The rear pocket was the best I have seen and the full threads on the grip screw.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Brovet isn't alone with the Tactical Machining lower issues. I have two lowers from them that have the same issue of out of spec front pin detent hole and magazine catch hole. Luckily on both lowers the detent holes for the front pins are only ever so slightly out of spec that you would have to search for it visibly, it actually makes my front pivot pin fit a little more snug which isn't exactly a "problem." As for the magazine catch hole being out of spec. It seemed it was just undersized. I took a few different files to it and some sand paper and after about 30 minutes or so of test fitting magazine catch buttons it was good. Guess I lucked out.

Edit: forgot to mention both the lowers I used are blem lowers that I got from them in person when I stopped by their shop. Paid $20 for each lower.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Brovet isn't alone with the Tactical Machining lower issues. I have two lowers from them that have the same issue of out of spec front pin detent hole and magazine catch hole. Luckily on both lowers the detent holes for the front pins are only ever so slightly out of spec that you would have to search for it visibly, it actually makes my front pivot pin fit a little more snug which isn't exactly a "problem." As for the magazine catch hole being out of spec. It seemed it was just undersized. I took a few different files to it and some sand paper and after about 30 minutes or so of test fitting magazine catch buttons it was good. Guess I lucked out.

Edit: forgot to mention both the lowers I used are blem lowers that I got from them in person when I stopped by their shop. Paid $20 for each lower.
View Quote
$20 is far better than $losing $300 worth of custom work on a crap lower. At $20, I'd be a little annoyed but at $300+, I'd be steaming angry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$20 is far better than $losing $300 worth of custom work on a crap lower. At $20, I'd be a little annoyed but at $300+, I'd be steaming angry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a minute.....how do you knowingly buy a blem lower and then complain about it being out of spec?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wait a minute.....how do you knowingly buy a blem lower and then complain about it being out of spec?
View Quote
Was sold as a cosmetic blem. I at least thought to check function of everything on the lower right after I purchased it, before I sent it off to be engraved and profiled by Braceman.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
A blemish is one thing, being so badly out of spec that it can't function is quite another.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most of the times, the companies advertise them and cosmetic blems, which is a whole lot different than a physical blem, there have been a couple times reps have come on here and stated they had blems that were out of spec, described what was wrong and left it to the customer to figure if they can fix and use it.

But for the most part, a blem means cosmetic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anybody used any of the ones for sale on the EE by Right To Bear Arms currently on sale @ $26 each?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has anybody used any of the ones for sale on the EE by Right To Bear Arms currently on sale @ $26 each?
View Quote
I have 3 or 4 of them laying around, I have milled a couple of them and have had no problems with the couple I have milled, nothing out of whack with them, RTB is one of my go to companies when I am looking for stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top