Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 10:52:21 AM EDT
Forgive me if this is a simple question, I'm new to this retro AR game.  Is there a difference in anodizing and parkerizing?  It seems there is a long wait for US Anodizing, and I am looking into other options for finishing my 80% lower.  Will parkerizing achieve the same relative finish and color?  I see that JT at Retro Arms Works does parkerizing.  Is this a viable alternative to US Anodizing?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Parkerizing is a process used for steel parts (e.g., barrels), while anodizing is a process for aluminum (e.g., receivers), so you cannot substitute one for the other.

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I've reached out to HKILLER to inquire about anodizing. Besides him and US Anodizing, have you guys had any luck with other individuals or businesses?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Synergy Metal Finishing

I have done business with them numerous times. They do great work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I've reached out to HKILLER to inquire about anodizing. Besides him and US Anodizing, have you guys had any luck with other individuals or businesses?
View Quote
HLILLER, (Sergio), did my XM177 lower. He does excellent work, and was priced very fairly. I've had U.S. Ano do a couple also, and he does great work.....just depends on if you can live with the wait time.
My next one will go to HKILLER if I have a choice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Forgive me if this is a simple question, I'm new to this retro AR game.  Is there a difference in anodizing and parkerizing?  It seems there is a long wait for US Anodizing, and I am looking into other options for finishing my 80% lower.  Will parkerizing achieve the same relative finish and color?  I see that JT at Retro Arms Works does parkerizing.  Is this a viable alternative to US Anodizing?

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Since you’re new to gun finishing, let me add something you really need to know.

Don’t let anyone talk you out of anodizing.  There are those who home build and then spray coat which looks very nice and is just fine for a range toy.  But along with giving it the color and look we all love, anodizing is what gives aluminum its surface hardness.  Without anodizing, your receiver will be very soft and very prone to scratching, gouging etc.  Anodizing (Type III) is a very hard surface treatment and a fantastic finish for a firearm.  If you want to do a spray coat finish, just do so after anodizing and you’re good to go.  

Hope this is helpful information.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since you’re new to gun finishing, let me add something you really need to know.

Don’t let anyone talk you out of anodizing.  There are those who home build and then spray coat which looks very nice and is just fine for a range toy.  But along with giving it the color and look we all love, anodizing is what gives aluminum its surface hardness.  Without anodizing, your receiver will be very soft and very prone to scratching, gouging etc.  Anodizing (Type III) is a very hard surface treatment and a fantastic finish for a firearm.  If you want to do a spray coat finish, just do so after anodizing and you’re good to go.  

View Quote
That's true, but something else to consider is that if you can't get it anodized in the color that you want (I think most of us want the XM Gray variety), you can get it anodized and then use something along the lines of Moly Resin to get your desired color.

XM Gray anodizing is the best option, of course. But if that can't happen (for whatever reason), anodized and then coated would work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
To reiterate, the two are completely different chemical processes that work on different types of metals.

Aluminum cannot be parkerized.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the help gents.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
and the process will actually damage or destroy it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Neither anodizing nor parkerizing are "color coatings", they are chemical processes that work on the metal, and in very different ways. Anodizing does have a step where color can (and usually is) introduced, the color of parkerizing is just determined by what chemicals are used.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't someone used to sell an anodizing kit?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are several companies that sell anodizing kits, just do a google search for home anodizing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's true, but something else to consider is that if you can't get it anodized in the color that you want (I think most of us want the XM Gray variety), you can get it anodized and then use something along the lines of Moly Resin to get your desired color.

XM Gray anodizing is the best option, of course. But if that can't happen (for whatever reason), anodized and then coated would work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t let anyone talk you out of anodizing.  There are those who home build and then spray coat which looks very nice and is just fine for a range toy.  But along with giving it the color and look we all love, anodizing is what gives aluminum its surface hardness.  Without anodizing, your receiver will be very soft and very prone to scratching, gouging etc.  Anodizing (Type III) is a very hard surface treatment and a fantastic finish for a firearm. If you want to do a spray coat finish, just do so after anodizing and you’re good to go.  

See in bold, I covered that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are several companies that sell anodizing kits, just do a google search for home anodizing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe those are for type 1 anodizing, not type 3 hard anodizing...the difference is rather significant.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe those are for type 1 anodizing, not type 3 hard anodizing...the difference is rather significant.
View Quote
I have not seen a home kit for type 3, but I have done type one, then cerakoted and it holds up very well, anybody wanting to do home anodizing, I recommend doing without out color, then cerakote the receiver, there is really no reason you have to treat it special after you do that, many of the big time manufactures, like Proof industries which is located a few miles from me, do that on some of their rifles and it is really good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have not seen a home kit for type 3
View Quote
Caswell's Type III kit.
Still requires acid and a chiller so probably too expensive for all but the hard core do it yourselfers..

I'm in the Type I then spray camp. I'm not planning on running my rifles hard enough to distort pin holes in an unanodized receiver but why even worry?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Caswell's Type III kit.
Still requires acid and a chiller so probably too expensive for all but the hard core do it yourselfers..

I'm in the Type I then spray camp. I'm not planning on running my rifles hard enough to distort pin holes in an unanodized receiver but why even worry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen a home kit for type 3
Caswell's Type III kit.

Agreed...It's not like any of us are taking our retro's to a one year tour in combat tomorrow.  In the grand scheme of things, they're range toys.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top