Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
Took my A1-ish clone to the range today to try it at 200 yards.

I made myself in IDPA silhouette target to use.  At 200 yards all 20 shots hit the target, and 17 of the 20 were on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

10.446" Max Spread (4.989 MOA)
2.847" Average Spread (1.360 MOA).

This is off of a bench rest, using Wolf Gold 55 Grain ammunition.

At 200 yards the target was the same width as the tip of my A1 front sight post.  I used a 6 o'clock hold on the target which shot high at 200 yards as expected.

This was one of the blemished Brownell's barrels.  

I am satisfied with this performance.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. I need to get my A1 out to the range one of these days, maybe when my brothers are visiting.

I'm still in the process of building my XM16E1, I hope to have it done next week when my parts kit arrives.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I took my weird retro-inspired A4-ish gun that uses a Brownells blew barrel out to the range today.

Managed probably a 3" group. Was very happy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Managed probably a 3" group.
View Quote
At what distance?

Steve
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At what distance?

Steve
View Quote
100 yards
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If I was in the market for a retro pencil barrel, I'd be tempted to possibly purchase a blemished Brownell barrel if I was looking to save a buck. Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's one of the blemished 16 inch barrels at 100 yds shooting prone off a half of cinder block and a sand bag.  My ammo is probably a little better than anything Wolf sells but I'm not trying to crunch numbers for profits, I'm trying to hit the bullesye. I didn't chronograph but I have before and loads are usually around 2900 FPS out of a 1-7 16" anyway.

I used a Colt flat top receiver, 16inch Brownells blem 1-12 barrel with Izzy brake, FN BCG and CH with a Simmons El cheapo 4x12 scope.  Lower typical Colt surplus parts,  throw away stuff or retro gold massaged a bit on an Anderson $40 lower forging.  Simmons scope is really much clearer than my big coin stuff for playing around and if I mess it up I'm not out much and can send it back for $12 for a refurb or replace.  

I'd say it can probably shoot a little better with a rest and ammo dialed in for it.  Loads used were really for one of my 20inch weapons.  Pretty humid and eye glasses were fogging once the sun came around and I lost the shade but I could take my time and line up the shots for the most part. Just a little uncomfortable and didn't have glass cleaning wipes with me.

Fired 50 rds total or until most everything fired was in the red.  Left target (30 rds ) was for zero and right (20 rds ) was a fresh target once zero'd. No problem repeating the bullseye at 100 yds anyway.  Was 2nd time out and I had removed the optic for another weapon and re-installed.  I did need to make a few scope adjustments as was a little high and left just from removal and re-install so wouldn't say the Burris Chinese PEPR mount will hold zero if removed, for me anyway.  

Much better shooter than the previous run of retro barrels.  Shame the taper is all wrong for authentic retro clone but guessing that's why it shoots decent being a continuous taper from breech to FSB instead of correct straight machining from breech taper to the FSB like an original Colt.  Probably cheaper to mfg like this and who can see through the HG's anyway. Little heavier than original Colt but not really noticeable.

I'm satisfied for the $500ish I have in it including the optic / mount. Not quite retro but it's still a retro barrel with supposedly a blemish inside for $130 delivered. Most everything was purchased off the AR15.com site either from site vendors or used EE.  Stock was a broken piece I repaired.

Since last week's shooting session I've removed the scope and installed a detachable carry handle for walk-a-bout use. Figured I'd see what it could do with some optic visual help for confidence and then dial it in for irons. Here's what it looks like today. I set windage but it needs a taller front post for shorter distances than 50 yds without post being above flush with handle elevation just off bottom. Probably swap for KAC or Matech later when coins allow.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Took my A1-ish clone to the range today to try it at 200 yards.

I made myself in IDPA silhouette target to use.  At 200 yards all 20 shots hit the target, and 17 of the 20 were on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

10.446" Max Spread (4.989 MOA)
2.847" Average Spread (1.360 MOA).

This is off of a bench rest, using Wolf Gold 55 Grain ammunition.

At 200 yards the target was the same width as the tip of my A1 front sight post.  I used a 6 o'clock hold on the target which shot high at 200 yards as expected.

This was one of the blemished Brownell's barrels.  

I am satisfied with this performance.

http://i.imgur.com/Yfr5nXb.jpg
View Quote
What a POS barrel
Congrats dude...nice shootin TEX!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a POS barrel
Congrats dude...nice shootin TEX!!
View Quote
I went ahead and got the 14.7" blem retro barrel and had it pinned to 16". Before pinning I just tested function. just did a rough bore site by eyeballing down the bore and matching up the sights, I was nailing a 12" steel plate at 100m off hand. I am not too thrilled it is a 1/12 but I don't really shoot anything other than 55gr so it will get the job done. I thoroughly inspected the bore to see if I could find this so called blem and all I could see was the gas port. It's a keeper!

I turned  my M-4 copy into a CAR-15 copy since the barrel I got from Numrich had a canted front sight post. I was able to fix that but that's another thread all it's own.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top