BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 4:37:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mckay and its a decent but not 100% true a1......but for $164 for a blem.......yikes!!! Every time they run these they get more and more expensive. I want to say mine was less than 140 last year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering how bad the "good" ones look, I'd hate to see the blems in person.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If McKay fixed the issues with the rough machining around the buffer tube and excess aluminum around the rear edges, I think they would have A LOT more customers.

Those are simple fixes too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered one today so we will see...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the blems are the "good" ones. They are just admitting what they are, so they can sell them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the blems are the "good" ones. They are just admitting what they are, so they can sell them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree.  Especially since they are not selling any good ones and only blems.  They are very poorly machined but if they lowered the price into the $100-$125 range I think more people would be willing to still buy them if nothing more then XM Gray place holders until their NoDak Spud lowers come in.  They are way overpriced for blems with terrible machining like that.  They want more for a bad one then NoDak Spud gets for a perfect one shipped.  "SPECIAL PRICE" lol.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Mckay and its a decent but not 100% true a1......but for $164 for a blem.......yikes!!! Every time they run these they get more and more expensive. I want to say mine was less than 140 last year.
View Quote
All of their lowers are blem....
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All of their lowers are blem....
View Quote
I would say that of their A1 lowers. But I have a McKay A2 lower and the quality is very good.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
i have seen better work with a dremel
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i have seen better work with a dremel
View Quote
Yes me too^^.

If you put one in the cart they are getting around $20.00 shipping on top of that price too.  Wow they really need to lower the price on them.

NoDak Spud: $160.00 shipped and perfect.

McKay: $164.00 plus around $20.00 shipping and terrible looking.

McKay may be the winner with current wait time but they are definitely the loser on price and quality.

We will have to do a stock watch and see how long it takes them to sell them all at that "SPECIAL PRICE" price.
They currently have 46 in stock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Two more sold - now 44 in stock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Two more sold - now 44 in stock.
View Quote
They wouldn't sell if NoDak had steady stock to sell. People are impatient and don't want to wait 8 months though, so I would expect all of them to sell.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They wouldn't sell if NoDak had steady stock to sell. People are impatient and don't want to wait 8 months though, so I would expect all of them to sell.
View Quote
Not to be rude, but by not addressing demand, NoDak is providing a huge opportunity for a competitor. Imagine the lost sales if McKay got it right.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to be rude, but by not addressing demand, NoDak is providing a huge opportunity for a competitor. Imagine the lost sales if McKay got it right.
View Quote
I sent an email to McKay a while back before these blems became available.(These were getting anodized)  They are working on the issues. They need to fix the machine program to correct the issues. I have 2 of their lowers and the blem doesn't bother me. I'll eventually buy a nodak lower, but for the projects I'm working on now I need the parts now. Not 8 months from now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I sent an email to McKay a while back before these blems became available.(These were getting anodized)  They are working on the issues. They need to fix the machine program to correct the issues. I have 2 of their lowers and the blem doesn't bother me. I'll eventually buy a nodak lower, but for the projects I'm working on now I need the parts now. Not 8 months from now.
View Quote
That's great. Competition is good for the market. I have 4 NoDak lowers and I love them, NoDak was there when no one else was, but a little competition will keep everyone on their game, keep quality up and drive prices down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
All McKay retro lowers are blems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh, other people try but can't get it right.

"Everyone wants to do retro (and gray anodizing) until it's time to do retro (and gray anodizing)."
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my McKay blem lower and it was pretty much what I expected. Looks well made and fit and finish are very good. Grey color of the lower matched my A2 upper perfect.

The blems, on this lower, were as described here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/714503_McKay-A1.html
I may at a later date follow this to correct them but right now it fills the bill until my NoDak lower arrives.

The only issue I had with this lower was with the front pivot pin being very tight. Don't think it was anything with the lower because the pin was refinished in XM Grey and fit better after I worked on it with sandpaper.

All in all I'm happy with the lower and may consider another one if and when I need one and if the price is right.

Thanks...CaptMandrake
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top