Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:18:53 PM EDT

Just saw this in the EE. What do you guys feel about Retros with modern hardware? I personally don't like it because it looks real weird to me. However this one looks pretty cool... if it had Mlok.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan..
Although my next build will be with a C-7 upper, it's going to be a 723 build.  That's about as modern as I'm going.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
im alittle sick
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't knock anyone else's rifle, each individual has their own preferences and likes what they like. Personally, I only go for the 'original' configurations (as best as I can), so I'm (admittedly) biased in that direction. I went so far as to buy an M1A with the Archangel Precision Adjustable stock, only to buy an M14 stock for the rifle to live in 95% of the time lol. I do put it into the 'modern' stock occasionally though.

Of the pictured rifle, it doesn't look bad. I like that it uses the retro upper. I greatly prefer those to the A2 or flattop uppers. But as I said, I'm hopelessly biased lol. Personally, I'd prefer the furniture to be black, but the green works too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a big fan of the modern/retro mix myself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a C7/A1 with MOE furniture; the originals are a bit too fragile for field use.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own a C7/A1 with MOE furniture; the originals are a bit too fragile for field use.
View Quote
We never really had a problem with fragility when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We never really had a problem with fragility when I was in the Army.
View Quote
I believe you. It's just that fifty-year-old triangular handguards are very brittle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I won't knock anyone else's rifle, each individual has their own preferences and likes what they like. Personally, I only go for the 'original' configurations (as best as I can), so I'm (admittedly) biased in that direction. I went so far as to buy an M1A with the Archangel Precision Adjustable stock, only to buy an M14 stock for the rifle to live in 95% of the time lol. I do put it into the 'modern' stock occasionally though.

Of the pictured rifle, it doesn't look bad. I like that it uses the retro upper. I greatly prefer those to the A2 or flattop uppers. But as I said, I'm hopelessly biased lol. Personally, I'd prefer the furniture to be black, but the green works too.
View Quote
Well I mean he put it on the EE.... lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well I mean he put it on the EE.... lol
View Quote
That's why I won't 'run it down', I don't want to bad mouth something that someone here is trying to sell. It's not a rifle that I'd build, or be interested in buying, but there's likely someone out there that would love it. That someone just isn't me lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
No.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice AR, but not a fan of modern looking ARs with old school receivers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Rarely am I with the majority....but I personally like the old school military look with the original furniture.  As a kid I was with my dad as he assembled his surplus military rifles of the Spanish American War through the Korean War.   He hated to see "sporterized" military rifles and shied away from them,....so do I.....but to each their own....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh ick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
To me, if it doesn't have triangular handguards + solid buttstock + carry handle upper, it ain't retro.  :)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rarely am I with the majority....but I personally like the old school military look with the original furniture.  As a kid I was with my dad as he assembled his surplus military rifles of the Spanish American War through the Korean War.   He hated to see "sporterized" military rifles and shied away from them,....so do I.....but to each their own....
View Quote
I hate the look of sporterized bolt actions and curios and relics more than ARs
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me, if it doesn't have triangular handguards + solid buttstock + carry handle upper, it ain't retro.  :)
View Quote
Well A2s are becoming retros now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
im alittle sick
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Not my cup of tea. But it is kind of cool, in a weird sort of way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not my cup of tea. But it is kind of cool, in a weird sort of way.
View Quote
Not mine either, but with a carbine instead of the mid length gas system and a ten or eleven inch barrel it would look a hell of a lot more appealing. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the magpul fixed rifle stock and rifle length hand guards on the a1. It's a functional improvement over the original stuff as looks good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I pretty much only do clone builds but this retro clone-inspired gun is actually my favorite gun I have:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Funny thing is that the thread linked above is "modern A1" yet most of the guns shown have nothing "modern" about them... unless you're comparing them to Krags or something.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top