Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 7:17:41 AM EDT
Been thinking of coating this lower with Molly resin to more match the upper, my son says to leave it alone since its in nice shape and all original.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave it alone.

I am a firm believer in coating, painting, & camo jobs.

Not on clones though. I looks good like it is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks right the way it is.  I would leave it alone.   Great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks right the way it is.  I would leave it alone.   Great looking rifle.
View Quote
Thanks, is actually a fun little rifle!

BTW im a Powell as well!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave it as is. Nice and original.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Your lower has no real significance regarding collectibility so I say do what you want.  Some people like their uppers/lowers matching.  I dont see where your hurting anything by coating it.  Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Coat it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Leave it alone.

I am a firm believer in coating, painting, & camo jobs.

Not on clones though. I looks good like it is.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
That is a nice piece of history you have there and looks great just as it is. :)

Quoted:
Been thinking of coating this lower with Molly resin to more match the upper, my son says to leave it alone since its in nice shape and all original.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/bluequad/Palmetto%20BH15a1/20170517_063751_zpsz6nzkti1.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/bluequad/Palmetto%20BH15a1/20170517_063716_zps0msdifcm.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't coat it.

In fact if probably sell it to someone in CT who needs it and buy more nodak lowers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
leave it
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
An Air Force buddy of mine told that while in Afghanistan, he saw many M16s with many combinations of mismatched finishes; black, dark grey, Colt grey...it didn't bother functioning at all. The weapons did their job and he came home. He did two tours that I know of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't coat it.

In fact if probably sell it to someone in CT who needs it and buy more nodak lowers.
View Quote
That right there
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Well most of you are just confirming what I figured I should do and just leave it alone. The mismatch is no real biggie to me especialy seeing that out of the 13 ARs I have only one or two match both upper and lower and half are factory built guns.

When I got this the plan was to sell the lower and replace it with a Nodak or Brownells since I could get more out of it then what I have in the whole rifle. Once I got it home and really started looking at it and doing some digging I liked the history of it plus also owning something that
wasnt cookie cutter. Not knocking other builds and such but I already have an SP1 and a M16a1 clone so this one does stand out from those two. Doesnt hurt that she is a nice shooting rifle!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
leave it alone as others have said, i would recommend a drop in trigger and some KNS anti rotation pins. some of those lowers where too soft and they egg out fcg pin holes. takes away from the look but it will last longer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
leave it alone as others have said, i would recommend a drop in trigger and some KNS anti rotation pins. some of those lowers where too soft and they egg out fcg pin holes. takes away from the look but it will last longer.
View Quote
Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it! Something I will look into.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the same color upper on my retro build, coated my lower with norrels moly resin, it looks good,  but is still a different shade.  Dont expect it to match.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Those older retro lowers are getting to be kinda collectible.

Leave her be!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Umm, except for being the first non-Colt lowers available, and the very first and only billet lowers available at the time.. That lower was made sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, from a company loooooong since out of business. I'd consider it significant.
View Quote
Yep, worth more to the ban States then an SP1.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I had one of these B&H jobs built into an E2  ...back around 1978   ...neat lower, and I would leave it alone.   He must have made several types, as mine had the full fence on the starboard side.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn't coat it.

View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it fetched close to $1k on GB.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't coat it.

Last I heard after MA reinterpreted their AWB they weren't allowing more to be shipped in leaving only CT, so I think values have come down some
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you coat both the upper and the lower together then they probably still won't match. That means that any money you spent coating the lower got wasted. I think it looks fine as is. I have my original AR15 SP1 lower mounted up with a DCM/CMP service rifle upper. I don't care that it doesn't match. I, however, am not making a clone.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top