Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
So after receiving my McKay lower last month I was really excited to see the heads up about the Brownells lowers being back in stock. So I ordered one right away having a Colt model 653 build in mind. I had already ordered a Brownells A1 upper, and I also purchased one of the 14.7" blem barrels. 

Anywhoo, I saw the thread about the safe/semi marks being on both sides... Figured I'd still buy it anyway. What the heck, right? It'll still be less work than the McKay was.

I started with a good degreasing/cleaning of the lower. Then I gooped on a bit of JB weld. 

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The next step is an important one. After waiting 24 hours or so for the JB to cure, I baked it in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour. In the past I had filled one, sanded it, then sprayed it with Norrels. When it came out of the oven, the JB had shrunk! So I learned to bake the JB before sanding. 

After baking I sanded very carefully. 

It's important not to sand all of the way down to the level of the aluminum, but to leave the layer proud of the surface just slightly (another lesson learned from past attempts). It becomes somewhat transparent.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#2]
After that it was just a good cleaning and spray with MolyResin grayish flat black.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look carefully, you can see that there were three air bubbles present where the "SAFE" mark is. I chalk this up to not properly inspecting after the post sanding cleaning. If I had seen them then I would have filled it one more time before spraying. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not notice the air bubbles until the parts came out of the oven with cured MolyResin on them. I decided to go ahead and assemble the carbine anyway. I may go back and fix it in the future.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
One of these days I'll break down and get on the list for some NoDak Spuds receivers. Maybe a 601 with some reproduction green furniture from Brownells.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice, looks great!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Great job!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I might have to do this with mine, did you have a problem with the nozzle getting clogged like I've heard on the reviews? That's my main concern with doing it myself.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
looks great
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered grinding down the 'NDS' on the upper?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might have to do this with mine, did you have a problem with the nozzle getting clogged like I've heard on the reviews? That's my main concern with doing it myself.
View Quote
I did. You know it's funny you bring it up. I've used MolyResin for years and it was never a problem before. I assumed it was my gun wearing out, but I'm not really sure. 

The clogs did spit out a few globs of MolyResin. I cured the parts and was able to carefully knock down the spots with RemOil and 0000 steel wool. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had thought about it, but I figured since it was built with a Brownells lower, upper, and barrel, I'd just leave it a Brownells rifle. It probably would look better without it though. I've often wished that NoDak would have made their forge codes look a little more like originals. Keep it NDS, but seperate the ND from the S and stagger it downward. Something like that would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
One thing you can do, you can order an upper from Nodak Spud and have the NDS forge code removed for $20 extra. I just got one in today that I had that done to. I wish I had known about that option years ago. I have two other AR with NDS uppers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great! I plan on doing similar when these lowers show up again as blems depending on price.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting this. I never heard back from Brownell's about sending mine back, so I might give this a try and take the $25 since I was going to paint them anyway. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
What kind of paint gun or airbrush do you use, if you don't mind me asking. I have a really cheap airbrush, but I'm not sure if it would be good for the Norrell's. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of paint gun or airbrush do you use, if you don't mind me asking. I have a really cheap airbrush, but I'm not sure if it would be good for the Norrell's. 
View Quote
I'm using a Badger 200NH. It's their cheaper one, maybe like $60. But the one you have will probably work fine. I'd test spray something small like your charging handle or your trigger guard and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice work.

If you didn't know the marks had been there you'd never notice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One thing you can do, you can order an upper from Nodak Spud and have the NDS forge code removed for $20 extra. I just got one in today that I had that done to. I wish I had known about that option years ago. I have two other AR with NDS uppers.
View Quote
NDS will do that!? That's awesome news.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have read, but have never tried, that Norell's used to recommend (or maybe it was that the paint came with) a PreVal sprayer.

Has anyone here used a PreVal with Moly Resin?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't used the Preval with MolyResin, but I have used it with Duracoat. I thought it sprayed too thick/too much volume. 

Here is a rifle I had done years ago with a Preval:

Makes for a thick glossy finish. Never was happy with the look. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I haven't used the Preval with MolyResin, but I have used it with Duracoat. I thought it sprayed too thick/too much volume. 

Here is a rifle I had done years ago with a Preval:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/charlesschenkbecher/101_1393_zps869688bc.jpg

Makes for a thick glossy finish. Never was happy with the look. 
View Quote
I have a PreVal and a defective 80% lower, maybe I'll spray one side of that and see how it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a PreVal and a defective 80% lower, maybe I'll spray one side of that and see how it comes out.
View Quote
Post the results if you do. I'm sure several are interested to see how it comes out (myself included). I was never quite sure if the thick spray was a result of the PreVal or the Duracoat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Post the results if you do. I'm sure several are interested to see how it comes out (myself included). I was never quite sure if the thick spray was a result of the PreVal or the Duracoat.
View Quote
I will, maybe I'll try to do that this weekend.

I did some Duracoat on a lower a few years ago and wasn't too happy with it either (with a PreVal). But I was mostly unhappy with the color.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#26]
If this sells for $300, I'll buy all Brownell's has and corner the market on expensive blem lowers

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658842651
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen a couple Brownell's lowers popup on Gunbroker now, I can never remember to go back and see what they sell for.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If this sells for $300, I'll buy all Brownell's has and corner the market on expensive blem lowers

View Quote
I seen that the other day, thoroughly laughed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The seller is laughing too, all the way to the bank. Here's his previous auction where someone clicked the Buy Now button a couple of days ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657331385
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The seller is laughing too, all the way to the bank. Here's his previous auction where someone clicked the Buy Now button a couple of days ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657331385
View Quote

Theres a sucker born every second I guess.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I sprayed it tonight, wasn't all that happy with how it came out. It does seem to be a bit heavy on the spray, kind of splotchy on the finish. The 80% that I sprayed is 'scrap', so it doesn't really matter. It's curing now, but I won't use a PreVal on my 'real' lower. I'll do what I knew I'd end up doing, and get an airbrush.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I sprayed it tonight, wasn't all that happy with how it came out. It does seem to be a bit heavy on the spray, kind of splotchy on the finish. The 80% that I sprayed is 'scrap', so it doesn't really matter. It's curing now, but I won't use a PreVal on my 'real' lower. I'll do what I knew I'd end up doing, and get an airbrush.
View Quote
Appreciate the update. 

You can get good results with an inexpensive airbrush. My first one was bought for MolyResin. I purchased it on eBay, I think it was like 50 bucks with a compressor and hose. It was actually a cake decorating airbrush, but it worked great for spraying rifles too. The airbrush died from lack of cleaning but I still use the compressor and hose. The compressor is a bit weird though, it's shaped like an elephant... Why not right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Appreciate the update. 

You can get good results with an inexpensive airbrush. My first one was bought for MolyResin. I purchased it on eBay, I think it was like 50 bucks with a compressor and hose. It was actually a cake decorating airbrush, but it worked great for spraying rifles too. The airbrush died from lack of cleaning but I still use the compressor and hose. The compressor is a bit weird though, it's shaped like an elephant... Why not right?
View Quote
I'd post a couple of pictures, but the unsatisfactory aspects don't really show up in the pictures and in fact, if I just couldn't get an airbursh for whatever reason, I could probably live with the results of the PreVal. I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't be disgusted either.

I ordered an airbrush last night. I had planned to, but figured if the PreVal did a good enough job, I'd save the money. As it was, the cheapo airbrush that was recommended in the instructions on the Moly Resin website, was only $10. If I use it once and throw it away, it's like using a PreVal anyway lol.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I been checking Brownells for any blem/returns of the A1 lowers that may have been sent back.  I saw that today Brownells had their A1 lowers back in stock...when I checked the closeup pictures I didn't see any safe/semi marks on the right side.  I ordered a couple.   cant wait to see how they look.  I needed a few anyway so maybe they will be in my mailbox in a week or so.  I needed a few anyway.

UPDATE:  well this sucks...I just checked my order and it said it was cancelled/unable to fulfill order.  I went back to the A1 lowers on their website and they said sold out...Must have had a pretty good run on them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I been checking Brownells for any blem/returns of the A1 lowers that may have been sent back.  I saw that today Brownells had their A1 lowers back in stock...when I checked the closeup pictures I didn't see any safe/semi marks on the right side.  I ordered a couple.   cant wait to see how they look.  I needed a few anyway so maybe they will be in my mailbox in a week or so.  I needed a few anyway.

UPDATE:  well this sucks...I just checked my order and it said it was cancelled/unable to fulfill order.  I went back to the A1 lowers on their website and they said sold out...Must have had a pretty good run on them.
View Quote
Their pictures didn't have the markings on them before, either.

Maybe it was just a mistake that they showed up as in stock again, and all they have right now are the blems.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I spoke to them on the phone they were pulling all of their inventory and we're not going to have new ones in at least 3 to 4 months according to their latest info.

On my return invoice it says something about the item should be put back in inventory and for a certain employee to be notified. I'm guessing they are going to sell these as blems once most come back and everything is sorted.

Showing in stock was likely a mistake.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#37]
When I spoke with them after my order was cancelled they told me that they had some in Stock but that they sold out fast..now I read that there may be a different story,   and I didn't realize that the pics for the previous run did not have the safe/semi marks on the right side either.  I just need two receivers,,,,guess the wait is on.    Still waiting for nodak to make a run of early slicks idea or partial fence lowers for an early build.    Guess the hunt is part of the adventure..
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top