Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 8:55:19 PM EDT
hi guys!!  anyone have a DoD rubber stamp i can rent or if someone wants to stamp my retro GM lower?

thanks for looking!!

kup
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Big or small one?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered the stamp. Now what kind of ink would I need to use with the stamp?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Which size would be most suited for the magwell side, magwell front?

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the size question.

Also, what retro rifles would this stamp be appropriate on?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe I ever saw one on any of my rifles in the Army. Granted, all of the rifles that I was ever issued, had likely been around for 20 to 25 years at that point.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/Aces/DOD_Stamp.html

HISTORY / BACKGROUND:
Previously rifle stocks were stamped with a metal DOD acceptance stamp leaving an
impression in the wooden stock.
DOD Acceptance stamps were changed to a rubber stamp due to the fiberglass stocks
on the AR15.  
From 1967-1968 a large DOD stamp was stamped on the right side of the magwell.
From 1968-1993 a small DOD stamp was stamped on the front of the magwell.
These stamps are only found on rifles accepted by the U.S. Military, or foreign rifles that
were provided by the U.S. Government.
Many Israeli rifles provided during Operation Nickel Grass during the Yom Kippur War
still have visible stamps
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, KalahniKid.

And as far as the paint used, are most folks using model paint, like Testor's?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I use White Finger nail polish.  Holds up to being cleaned etc...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I used One Shot Polar White Enamel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm curious, did anyone here that served in the military, ever actually see this stamp on any rifles? I have an M14 stock for my M1A, and the stamp is in the wood of that stock (if I recall off the top of my head). But I can't even recall seeing pictures of M16's with this on the mag well.

Is it something that was on the rifle when it was new, but was removed by the unit armorers, or is it just that all of the rifles in my experience were so old that they'd worn off? I can well see that being the case, I was in the Signal Corps and we didn't exactly rate new issue equipment lol. But I'd think I'd have at least seen pictures here and there with the stamp though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used One Shot Polar White Enamel.
View Quote
Here's my XM177E2 with the stamp on the magwell.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice shorty. Except for the stamp, I got your XM's twin.  

Quoted:
Here's my XM177E2 with the stamp on the magwell.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The DAS stamp stopped being applied around the same time as the A2 being issued. Plenty of the A1 lowers that were in a A2/A4 upper configuration in the navy had them. They'd be remnants of the 60-70's for sure.

William
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use White Finger nail polish.  Holds up to being cleaned etc...
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The DAS stamp stopped being applied around the same time as the A2 being issued. Plenty of the A1 lowers that were in a A2/A4 upper configuration in the navy had them. They'd be remnants of the 60-70's for sure.

William
View Quote
Maybe they were on some from back when I was in and I'm just not remembering it, or just didn't notice it (enough to make an impression on me). That's a distinct possibility, until a couple of weeks ago I'd have sworn that my last rifle in the Army had a type E buttstock but looking at pictures of me with the rifle, it had a type D.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw them on 603s in the late 70s.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
It's my understanding that these stamps were never meant to last.  Only to show acceptance at the factory.  It wore off quickly from what I understand.  I'm curious what the original paint was.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that these stamps were never meant to last.  Only to show acceptance at the factory.  It wore off quickly from what I understand.  I'm curious what the original paint was.
View Quote
That would make sense to my experience. All of the rifles that I was ever issued and all the rifles in all of my units, were Vietnam era rifles (this was in the mid/late 80's through early 90's).

The closest that I ever got to a 'new issue' rifle, was a rumor that A2's were a few years away for us.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen the stamp on all my issue weapons, not on the side though, it was in the front upper mag well
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've seen the stamp on all my issue weapons, not on the side though, it was in the front upper mag well
View Quote
How old were the rifles, and what branch of the military?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe they were on some from back when I was in and I'm just not remembering it, or just didn't notice it (enough to make an impression on me). That's a distinct possibility, until a couple of weeks ago I'd have sworn that my last rifle in the Army had a type E buttstock but looking at pictures of me with the rifle, it had a type D.
View Quote
They're not typically found on Army or MC weapons, the Navy and Air Force have lots of old receivers that are built up into current configurations and as such have some of the original acceptance stamps.

William
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorely tempted to get a set of those...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorely tempted to get a set of those...
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Is that morrie419s website?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Could anyone loan me one? 

And does it only go on XM177's? Or did m16A1s have the stamp too?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Or did m16A1s have the stamp too?
View Quote
I never personally saw any with a stamp while I was in the Army, but the stamp apparently wore off over some time. So that's likely why I never saw it on any rifles.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I never personally saw any with a stamp while I was in the Army, but the stamp apparently wore off over some time. So that's likely why I never saw it on any rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or did m16A1s have the stamp too?
I'm sure the first time they were issued that the arms room custodian wouldn't let them back in until the stamps were cleaned off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Well, off to IM him for a stamp
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm sure the first time they were issued that the arms room custodian wouldn't let them back in until the stamps were cleaned off.
View Quote
What's the appeal of having it on there? Am I missing out on something?

To me, it's kind of like the rack numbers stenciled on the buttstock. I never (ever) saw that while I was in the Army, so it's not something that I'd want on my rifles now. In fact, I bought a parts kit a few years back and purposefully removed the big yellow stencil.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top