Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2017 1:35:41 AM EDT
I don't know much about these. It has an SP1 style lower, A2 grip and delta ring, 4 position CAR stock (with "N" mark), 7 hole carbine handguards, a black mag release button, and a black charging handle. I looked at what was available on Gunbroker and saw another one similar to this with a black charging handle. Are some or all of these parts correct? Oh, and it also has this weird spring detent pivot pin. The carbine dosen't seem correct to me, but maybe some of you can shed some light on this. I would love to return this to factory configuration...

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea but pretty cool looking
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea but pretty cool looking
View Quote
+1 That looks great - the pouches look Canadian (for their version of the Sterling which use 30 rd mags not 34 rd)
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1 That looks great - the pouches look Canadian (for their version of the Sterling which use 30 rd mags not 34 rd)
View Quote
They are canuck. Decent pouches if you use 82 pattern webbing
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
very cool
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if it is 100% "correct", or what that would be. But it looks 100% retro Colt 9mm.

In for range report. And BTW, most folks here would do $900 for that anytime
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice score !
I just spent the last year building the same set up , only I'm using a  CMMG lower . Other than that most everything is Colt.
Now I need to get out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe that if those are Colt magazines there is the key to the value of your deal
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure if it is 100% "correct", or what that would be. But it looks 100% retro Colt 9mm.

In for range report. And BTW, most folks here would do $900 for that anytime
View Quote
Appreciate the comment. Wasn't sure about the price, but I figured why not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe that if those are Colt magazines there is the key to the value of your deal
View Quote
Only one is Colt, three are C Products, one ASC, and one Pro Mag.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The "weird spring detent " on the pivot pins is because it's a slab side lower. That's normal.
I am by no means an expert on these ARs but I have lately noticed a lot of these "odd" looking lowers coming up for sale.
If you think yours does not look right.  Wait till you see that lower engraved with "A2" on the side.  
I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly, but I think it's all correct.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got one myself, and paid 1000 for it some years ago..

Albeit is was unfurled and new in the box. Still had the cardboard tube in the barrel..

You did ok in my book!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Outwardly, it looks legit. Looks just like mine from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one just like it several years ago, from the pics and what you describe it appears to be correct. You got that for a good price too, I'm jelly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks really really nice.   I'd be happy with that.  Not QUITE the same thing but I couldn't help myself:

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say you did just fine.  The pivot pin doesn't appear to be original.  Is the detent on the outside?  If so than it's likely DPMS.

Mag pouches are Cdn as has already been said.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd say you did just fine.  The pivot pin doesn't appear to be original.  Is the detent on the outside?  If so than it's likely DPMS.

Mag pouches are Cdn as has already been said.
View Quote
Yeah, the detent ball catches on the outside. It's kinda a neat style of pin.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
done good, the  TA in the serial is for Henry Tatro who was head of the 9mm conversion for Colt at that time,  I sold my Colt 9mm but had a lot of fun with it, but beware that the long bolt hold open peice is prone  to brakeage..
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#20]
At a glance, everything looks correct minus the aftermarket pivot pin designed to make it a little easier to work with than the original screw design of slabside lowers.  

Stock should be two position and use a lock ring with circular holes, and should be staked--that could be the key as to whether or not it was installed at the factory.  

FCG pin breakage would be something to look out for as well if you intend to shoot it a lot, later 9MM SMGs used stronger SS pins because the blowback action tends to snap standard FCG pins.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The pivot pin should be the screw type. If memory serves correctly, the buffer tube should be 2 position. Is the nut staked? If not, it has been removed and changed. Also, I believe the handguards should be 6 hole, not 7.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have that type of ball detent in my SP1 and prefer it to the screw type. Although it would not be a bad idea to keep an original type stashed for when you go to sell it.

It is a neat rifle as is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
$900?

All day long Baby! Nice snag!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the replies!

The buffer tube lock ring is not staked. I also noticed the ejection port door spring is in backward, and the cut on the door itself is kinda crooked. Also the pistol grip is not colt, has that cheap feel of the ones that come with the LPK's. The pistol grip screw is hex head, and the flash hider has a crush washer behind it.

So it's a fixer-upper. I have a set of Colt six hole handguards, a Colt A2 grip, and a peel washer I can add. I guess I'll try my hand a cutting another ejection port door (I think I can do a nicer job than this one). But the things I'm still unsure about:

Charging handle, mag button, and delta ring; these should be gray right? 

Buffer tube: two position, also gray?

I'm thinking about a NoDak Spud buffer tube and charging handle. Normally I would just spray these parts for my clone rifles, but I'd like this one to be really nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#25]
KNS makes stainless trigger pins that look like the later replacements.  I think originals are nickel plated stainless?

Adding a spacer or some quarters inside the buffer tube will help with bolt over travel and won't be as hard on the bolt release.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
C1 SMG pouches.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Great now I want a 9mm carbine..............looks like im on a quest to get my 13th AR.......I so need to seek help!!!

Looks awesome I love it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Great carbine.  I think that particular model is less common because Colt went to the 6430 on the civilian market after just a couple years and a few mag block and bolt stop changes also occurred.  The 6450 came back later but had a 4 position m4 stock and a different lower at that point.   I have one similar to yours and like yours a few parts are off,  but needing obscure parts gives me something to look for.  Mine is extremely reliable.

The Colt 6450 had a few changes throughout production and I think the even the 6951 still has minor part changes from run to run.    

As mentioned above, get the buffer spacer if you don't have it and since someone clearly swapped the receiver extension make sure you have the correct buffer.  The new production 6951 parts will work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Great carbine.  I think that particular model is less common because Colt went to the 6430 on the civilian market after just a couple years and a few mag block and bolt stop changes also occurred.  The 6450 came back later but had a 4 position m4 stock and a different lower at that point.   I have one similar to yours and like yours a few parts are off,  but needing obscure parts gives me something to look for.  Mine is extremely reliable.

The Colt 6450 had a few changes throughout production and I think the even the 6951 still has minor part changes from run to run.    

As mentioned above, get the buffer spacer if you don't have it and since someone clearly swapped the receiver extension make sure you have the correct buffer.  The new production 6951 parts will work.
View Quote
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great now I want a 9mm carbine..............looks like im on a quest to get my 13th AR.......I so need to seek help!!!

Looks awesome I love it!
View Quote
Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
KNS makes stainless trigger pins that look like the later replacements.  I think originals are nickel plated stainless?

Adding a spacer or some quarters inside the buffer tube will help with bolt over travel and won't be as hard on the bolt release.
View Quote
I thought about the stainless pins, but I think they came after this model (the ones with the A2 profile lower). I'm not sure if me rapid firing is enough to warrant the stainless, but from what I understand they are all but a necessity on the full auto models.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Resistance is futile.
View Quote
I have already been assimilated..........LOL
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top