Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
Just a heads up, reproduction A1 style ejection port doors just came in stock at Rifle Supply. They can be found here: https://riflesupply.com/Retro-A1-Style-Dust-Cover--Parkerized-_p_297.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
$10 shipping for one door, I don't want it that bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't really need any since I still have a few extra original ones but I ordered four anyhow just to have them for some future builds that I don't know about yet lol.  The shipping isn't bad when you divide it by four.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up on these.
I went ahead and ordered a couple to check the fit and finish.
If they are good I will order some more. ( If they are not sold out)

Ron
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I ordered a few. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one a year or so ago. It did not close right at the top. It had a fairly large gap at the top when closed. But other then that it seemed to a very well made door.

I ended up modifying it to close up tight. But for the life of me I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Seems like I took the detent out and messed with the detent spring. Or I messed with detent itself. If I remember right there was a thread on here long time ago on how to fix it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one a year or so ago. It did not close right at the top. It had a fairly large gap at the top when closed. But other then that it seemed to a very well made door.

I ended up modifying it to close up tight. But for the life of me I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Seems like I took the detent out and messed with the detent spring. Or I messed with detent itself. If I remember right there was a thread on here long time ago on how to fix it.
View Quote
From the pictures they look almost black, would these look out of place on a black anodized rifle? I bought a few repro door before but they are light grey that stood out a ton.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

From the pictures they look almost black, would these look out of place on a black anodized rifle? I bought a few repro door before but they are light grey that stood out a ton.
View Quote
I don't remember but I think  your right seems like they was more black then grey but like I said it been a while and they may have even changed they now. And I no longer have the door I sold it after a found a real one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I ordered several.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Got them in the mail today. Dark parkerized finish and sharper edges than original on the pad, so they won't be mistaken for original. I'm using Brownells receivers so it doesn't matter to me. I was surprised and pleased to find it included the rod, snap ring and spring, so price is about the same as an A2 door. I can't speak to the fit, since I haven't installed it yet.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Got home and slapped it on this Brownell's upper. Fit and functioned great. The detent was a little tight, but it should loosen with use. I'm happy.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like I will have to order one, my main concern was the color being off. But, as It's going on a Brownell's receiver, It matches. Thanks for the example VAAR.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm out of town for work so I haven't laid eyes on mine yet. Thanks for the review! I'm glad to see that it fits, that was the main worry I had looking at what some other people had to say about them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]

WTH....(4) heading my way.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm,I wonder if the Navy Jelly trick will turn them gray?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I was going to send John Thomas one to parkerize  next week.  Just to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#18]
thank you for posting this!! one of two things I need to complete my M16A1 look.

sucks the shipping is 9.99
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
thank you for posting this!! one of two things I need to complete my M16A1 look.

sucks the shipping is 9.99
View Quote
Well, if you buy 10, the shipping is only $1 each...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Got one of these and some lower parts kits I needed for odds and ends and spares, makes the shipping a better deal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried Naval Jelly? I got 5 in Wednesday but don't have any Naval Jelly and don't want to buy any if it won't turn these gray.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for the heads up...ordered three.$9.99 for shipping 3 is pretty high...but look at the UPS Next Day rate....$72!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
loys of folks complaining about the shipping cost . For one of the best priced reproductions I've seen.
It cost me money to run things. I bet it costs these people too.
But if they skipped on costly packing materials and charged you 2.61$ cents ( aka packed loose in a unpadded 5x7 value mailer).
What would you say???
And to give someone the best shipping price a person has to pay for stamps.com.

It's the only way you can  to buy first class postage online unless you PayPal me plus fee the right way.
You would have to pay me a half hours work to stand in the post office line for you.  It don't work. I'm busy so are you.
If I can't drop it off prepaid I don't do it.

And all my packing materials cost me money.  
And I pay taxes
And a lot more stuff I can't remember.

Besides it comes off as cheap to hear people complain over nickels and dimes. I try not to be that. looks bad in a person. Imo
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#24]
The real problem is Amazon has ruined us...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The real problem is Amazon has ruined us...
View Quote
Well here it is after navel jelly. I have it next to my original colt for comparison.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well here it is after navel jelly. I have it next to my original colt for comparison.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/bluequad/20170624_133836_zpsbs8yhyod.jpg
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#27]
It didn't take but a few seconds to get this look wilt the navel jelly....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It didn't take but a few seconds to get this look wilt the navel jelly....
View Quote
Looks really good!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Today I did some digging for uppers that needed port doors.

I had ordered 10 of the port doors ( I thought that would be plenty) and found more uppers than 10 that needed some.
They all fit very good, so it looks like I am going to order some more tomorrow.

Now that I see some with the gray using the navel jelly.
I will swap out the bad looking one with these also.
Thanks SUPERSNAKE.

I found one of the C7 stripped uppers and put one on it. it made a difference in looks.
Also added the tear drop FA for effect.......
Looks like I am going to do them also later. I am not sure how many I will need for them.

I don't know how many they have left in stock (maybe a lot or maybe a few).
Ron

Picture of 4 of them. The two on the top in the picture are much darker than they show.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Not a problem, glad I could help!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Today I did some digging for uppers that needed port doors.

I had ordered 10 of the port doors ( I thought that would be plenty) and found more uppers than 10 that needed some.
View Quote
What a horrible problem to have, I wish I had it!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I dug out some more.
The 2 Colt uppers are grey, so I will do the Navel jelly thing with them to make them grey also.

The carbine had an A2 port door.
I was going to take it apart ( remove the barrel) and change out the door.
But I decided to try to change it out by removing the rod out the back side. What a pain to do.
I was done, but it would have been easier to remove the barrel and change the port door.

I will dig out 3 more tomorrow and do them if I feel up to it.

it is starting to be like work........... Just kidding!

Ron
I just noticed the carbine upper has a delta ring, I may take it apart anyway and install a flat ring.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The doors  look good cleaned up.

I feel appropriate to apologize for coming off as a jerk.
It's my side to look at the pictures flipped sometimes .
Just just wanted to say that instead of a lame edit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I broke in and ordered one last Thursday trying to ignore the shipping cost. It still hasn't shipped, totally worth the $10 shipping...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I broke in and ordered one last Thursday trying to ignore the shipping cost. It still hasn't shipped, totally worth the $10 shipping...
View Quote
I'm in the same boat, best $10 I've ever spent
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#36]
They printed a usps shipping label for me on Thursday but it's not been shipped yet.
Hopefully their ok and not stuck in a event horizon or something.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I did a test fit with all of the ones I ordered and they all fit real nice. One has a slight gap between the pad and the rest of the door but you can't really see it when it's installed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I went ahead and put together an order to Rifle Supply including the retro port doors.
When I went to check out I tried to use the 10% discount code.
I had gotten it in my last order from them about a week before this order.
it said "Not a Valid Code"  and the next time it said "code expired".
So I added a note to the order and asked about the discount.
I also removed everything except for the port doors and I cut them back to 10 port doors.

When I got the shipping notice there was no answer to my question about the discount code.
(My question was printed on the shipping notice)
It shows that I was charged the regular price. ( No discount)
I will see what it says on the ticket when I get the port doors.

I would have just deleted the order but I still wanted the port doors.
Not a big deal for some, but I expect a vendor to honor the discount when they offer it.

Ron
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Finally got this turd. It fits very loose, moves around a ton, has a weak spring, and a huge gap when closed. Very glad I wasted my time and money on this.

I don't think it's my receiver, I had an Amherst A2 EPC on before this one and it fit very tight and was very nice.

At least my rifle "looks" correct...
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Finally got this turd. It fits very loose, moves around a ton, has a weak spring, and a huge gap when closed. Very glad I wasted my time and money on this.

I don't think it's my receiver, I had an Amherst A2 EPC on before this one and it fit very tight and was very nice.

At least my rifle "looks" correct...
View Quote
This was my experience as well.... and I tested it on a few mil-spec retro and current Colt receivers  The part is obviously out of spec once installed, no grey area here.  The damned thing will not stay shut on some receivers, and easily pops open on others.  This knock-off is crap and a waste of money.  Yet, people post positive reviews???  I don't get it........
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm having a similar issue with a couple of A1 repro covers. I'm going to source a current colt cover to see if that cures the problem. Hopefully it's the cover and not the upper.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I guess I got lucky, mine fit great , no gaps, good springs and open and close like they should.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Get a laser engraved one.  I got a custom one.   

Laser Engraved Dust Cover
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I test fitted mine on two different upper and they worked and fit fine. I even had JT park one for me.  It looks great I will get some pictures up in a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I have 10 of these port doors. ( all installed on receivers)
(I have 10 more on the way)
This will do until Brownells starts selling them, then I will try some of them.

They all fit great except for one. (There is a small gap on the top, but it opens and closes good)
It maybe the receiver that is causing the problem on this one.
I will try to dig it out and see which receiver it is on.
I will also move the port door to another receiver to see if there is a difference in fit.

You cannot beat the price for them.
This could be an on going problem for those that sell original parts.
Those wanting original parts will still be buying them.
There is not enough original parts for everyone.

For those with weak spring problems ( I have not had any yet) next time you order parts from a vendor just add a few for spares to the order.
They cost under $1.00, Usually around $.50.

Ron
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This was my experience as well.... and I tested it on a few mil-spec retro and current Colt receivers  The part is obviously out of spec once installed, no grey area here.  The damned thing will not stay shut on some receivers, and easily pops open on others.  This knock-off is crap and a waste of money.  Yet, people post positive reviews???  I don't get it........
View Quote
Well, it tells us there is wide variance in product quality. All of mine were fine. Other people have not had the same experience, and I don't question the veracity of their claims. It means most are good, and some are truly awful.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I got two last week and both fit and function fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Here are a few pics of how my covers fit. Initially I thought it was the receiver, then read of others having issues, so I don't know. My plan is to get a Colt cover from Brownells to compare fitment. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here are a few pics of how my covers fit. Initially I thought it was the receiver, then read of others having issues, so I don't know. My plan is to get a Colt cover from Brownells to compare fitment. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/Twhfs4Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wXdeB5y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OdIb3K1.jpg
View Quote
I went thru mine again and It appears I have 2 that are like Mattra's pictures.

I swapped out the springs on both of them, It didn't make a difference.
The springs are from 4 different vendors, For me it is not the springs.
Both locked in very good and are tight, maybe too tight.  
When you close them they stay closed.
I guess I really don't know yet.
Both of these receivers are Colts.
One is an SP1 (604 style) and the other is an early 604 with rebated lug and no forge code.
I looked at some of the others I have that are NOT colts and some are Colts and they fit and look fine.
For what I am using them for they will be ok.

Mattra, who made your receiver?

Thanks
Ron

Ok, I played with it for a while and checked it around where the rod goes thru. it will bind up on the bottom of the receiver.
It appears that they didn't close it up around the rod. I took it apart again and put the part the rod goes thru in a small vise.
I had the rod in it. I tightened it up around the rod with the vise. I did this a few time, each time testing it on the receiver.
I doesn't need much. I will work on it some more to close the gap at the top more. It is almost there.
The gap started out at .016 and is now .005.  
Ron
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mattra, who made your receiver?
View Quote
I got my receiver directly from NodakSpud.

I had an upper from Brownells and it had some significant finish issues so I sent it back. When Nodak posted they had a few black uppers in stock I jumped at the chance. The machining, prepwork, and finish is well ahead of the Brownells upper, but I am only basing that on what my eyes can perceive, not any measurements.

The repro ejection port covers are the only parts I've tried to install in it so far. There is no binding, they just fit loose. I can apply finger pressure and get them to close up more but there is no tension to keep them that way.

I don't have any regular ejection port covers to try at the moment. I don't feel like taking any off other rifles, but I have a Brownells order on the way that should include a modern cover.

I sent Nodak an email but it being the holiday weekend I don't expect a response soon. I would like it to be the doors and not the upper, but we'll see.

I'm curious if the detent notch on other NodakSpud uppers are similar to mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top