Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2017 7:05:13 PM EDT
When were these discontinued? Were they used on model 602s and the earliest 604s?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess would they would have been used until the XM148's started coming around? I have a super early 604 upper and I'm keeping the banana peel on her.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sportsmans Guide was selling them around the late 1990's advertised as being from Israel. I don't know if they made their own or had our old surplus.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the one you mean?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes that's the one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They were first used in Vietnam around 1962 with the 601s during the comabt trials for ARPA, IIRC from Black Rifle.  They refer to having used them in combat to great effect.  I believe they used the Energa grenade.  (Black Rifle, page 107).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes that's the one.
View Quote
Are you looking for one? I have ONE left. If you want it, brother, PM me your address again, and I'll send it to you - I just saw it the other day. Next time I ship stuff it'll go out. (Which reminds me - I gotta send Brian some HGs...) Been BUSY lately, trying to get the new book out, and get the next one to my beta-readers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The pics I posted above are the M1A2 grenade projector as modified for the 601.  Originally there were four clips holding a "pineapple" grenade.  These were reduced to three to hold a "lemon" grenade which I unfortunately don't have. The tip-off is the full round fin and the empty threaded hole near the clip attachment.

This is an original M1A2 as used in WWII and Korea.  Today the Vietnam war is a distant memory even to those who were there, but less than ten years separated the two conflicts and many of these were still on hand in the early 1960s.
Attachment Attached File

If you decide to assemble and launch one of these(with an empty grenade of course) you will need to get some grenade launching blanks which are considerably more powerful than regular blanks.  I'll dig some out tomorrow and post a pic with the headstamp.  

Also, do not launch from the shoulder.  Put the butt on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The pics I posted above are the M1A2 grenade projector as modified for the 601.  Originally there were four clips holding a "pineapple" grenade.  These were reduced to three to hold a "lemon" grenade which I unfortunately don't have. The tip-off is the full round fin and the empty threaded hole near the clip attachment.

This is an original M1A2 as used in WWII and Korea.  Today the Vietnam war is a distant memory even to those who were there, but less than ten years seperated the two conflicts and many of these were still on hand in the early 1960s.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/264818/m2a1-proj-adapter-230165.JPG

If you decide to assemble and launch one of these(with an empty grenade of course) you will need to get some grenade launching blanks which are considerably more powerful than regular blanks.  I'll dig some out tomorrow and post a pic with the headstamp.  

Also, do not launch from the shoulder.  Put the butt on the ground.
View Quote
Very cool. I might try to find one of those and a dummy lemon to launch!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Can I make my own grenade blanks? Say plug the brass with wax and use a lite charge.

tie some marking tape to the adapter so you can see it move in the air. Makes it better I think,
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can I make my own grenade blanks? Say plug the brass with wax and use a lite charge.

tie some marking tape to the adapter so you can see it move in the air. Makes it better I think,
View Quote
I've never tried launching with regular blanks but supposedly they don't have enough energy to launch a pound+ grenade.  I can say for certain the grenade blanks are much louder than the standard blank cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Took me a while to find these

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Not the best pics.  Camera phone.

Headstamp is TZZ with a number and a date.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Neat. I wouldn't mind a few of those.

Say the grenade weighs X. A projectile weighs Y with a certain charge.
A ratio of X and Y would help us find a  start charge. Or am I playing with explosives here??
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#13]
https://oldsargesdropzone.com

Old Sarge has grenade parts and drilled pineapple grenades but doesn't show any lemon style on their site.  They may have some "in the back" if you give them a phone call or an email.

The blanks are Israeli. It's been several years since I got them.  My memory isn't what once it was and I have no clue where i bought them

The M1A2 Projector has no propulsive charge of it's own. All the power comes from the blank cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
About a week ago a sight went for over $500 on GB.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/M195-GRENADE-LAUNCHING-BLANK_p_214.html

I don't know why I save these links...I'll never buy any of these.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow.  I know they're more rare than hen's teeth but that's a huge price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/M195-GRENADE-LAUNCHING-BLANK_p_214.html

I don't know why I save these links...I'll never buy any of these.
View Quote
GREAT.  thanks for posting the link.  I only have a few of these so i definitely need to order a couple bags.

Now all I need is a couple of lemon grenades.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top