BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The more that I looked at the gap between the bottom of my Colt scope and the  UltraLux mount the more it bugged me. I put the UltraLux back together and reinstalled the Colt scope on the Armalite mount. Will try the UltraLux on my SP1 carbine clone. Anyone want to trade a Colt 3X20 scope on a AR15 mount for a Colt 3X20 scope on an original AR180 mount?

Larry
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The more that I looked at the gap between the bottom of my Colt scope and the  UltraLux mount the more it bugged me. I put the UltraLux back together and reinstalled the Colt scope on the Armalite mount. Will try the UltraLux on my SP1 carbine clone. Anyone want to trade a Colt 3X20 scope on a AR15 mount for a Colt 3X20 scope on an original AR180 mount?

Larry
View Quote
I would have loved to see pictures of it before you took it back off. After all, that was the original and only reason I bought the new scope. Please let me (or us) know how it works on your carbine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered mine Saturday night and got it today. First impression is good, seems to be quality. Holding zero will be the real test but as part of completing the A1 look, well worth the money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I jumped on the band wagon.........he was up to 45.99 and lowered it down to 42.99.........Guess we will wait and see how these hold up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The one I bought for my son arrived yesterday, very well built and does have a weight close to the original's. Glass was sharp and clear, only a good number of days shooting with it will tell how it holds up. I am pleased with it for the money I paid.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The one I bought for my son arrived yesterday, very well built and does have a weight close to the original's. Glass was sharp and clear, only a good number of days shooting with it will tell how it holds up. I am pleased with it for the money I paid.
View Quote
Good to hear. They're not crude or cheap feeling like I expected. My second one was supposed to be here yesterday, but the post office played their game with it. Hopefully I'll get around to shooting with one of them sooner or later. I won't complain at all for $34 each.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got mine today. As JJREA  stated the eye relief is about an inch short. You really need to "put your nose on the charging handle" to get a full feild of view . I'll probably make an attempt (drill/machine a new hole) to move the mounting screw as far forward as possible to bring the scope closers to my eye.
Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Can someone tell me more about Colt 4x21 Scopes? I've seen varying information, about them being Hakko manufactured and re-branded by Colt to them being Chinese knock offs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just got mine today. As JJREA  stated the eye relief is about an inch short. You really need to "put your nose on the charging handle" to get a full feild of view . I'll probably make an attempt (drill/machine a new hole) to move the mounting screw as far forward as possible to bring the scope closers to my eye.
Just an FYI.
View Quote
The eye relief on these and my originals is just the same.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The eye relief on these and my originals is just the same.
View Quote
Oh ok good to know.  I've only just put it on a two position carbine stocked gun.
It might be a lot more comfortable cheek wield on a rifle butt stock.
Guess I need to just go out and shoot it
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh ok good to know.  I've only just put it on a two position carbine stocked gun.
It might be a lot more comfortable cheek wield on a rifle butt stock.
Guess I need to just go out and shoot it
View Quote
The eye relief on this one is the same as well. It's on a two-position stock carbine. It takes some getting used to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Got mine in. Looks and feels good. Fits nice and tight on my SP1 upper. Glass is clear. The eye relief will take some getting used to. My
check comes off the carbine stock before I get a perfect sight picture.

But, most of the detented positions don't line up with the markings on my bullet drop adjustment knob.
Only the 400 yard position lines up. Anyone else have this problem or did I get a bad one?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got mine in. Looks and feels good. Fits nice and tight on my SP1 upper. Glass is clear. The eye relief will take some getting used to. My
check comes off the carbine stock before I get a perfect sight picture.

But, most of the detented positions don't line up with the markings on my bullet drop adjustment knob.
Only the 400 yard position lines up. Anyone else have this problem or did I get a bad one?
View Quote
I just checked mine after I read this, and both of them are perfect in that respect. Are you looking at the little silver dot mark that's centered at the rear of the turret?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#14]
The rings on the back of the scope should adjust the eye relief a little bit. At least, they do on my Armalite scope. The rear ring is the adjustment, and the front ring is a lock ring to lock it in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just checked mine after I read this, and both of them are perfect in that respect. Are you looking at the little silver dot mark that's centered at the rear of the turret?
View Quote
I had a piece of the styrofoam stuck to the left side of the scope right under the bullet drop knob. Last night it REALLY looked like a silver dot alignment mark!

It works fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a piece of the styrofoam stuck to the left side of the scope right under the bullet drop knob. Last night it REALLY looked like a silver dot alignment mark!

It works fine.
View Quote
Good deal.

Who's going to shoot with theirs today? I'm watching the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so leaving the house isn't an option.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Long time lurker of this forum; mine just showed up today and was hoping to get some advice on how to iron out some issues:

The locking ring for the eyepiece is frozen in place, normally i'd kroil something like this, but that seems haphazard on a scope. Any advice?

Also, the cross hair seems to dip a few degrees to the right, any way to adjust that? It's on top of a brownell's a1 upper, perhaps that's the issue?

Thank ya'll for your time!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Long time lurker of this forum; mine just showed up today and was hoping to get some advice on how to iron out some issues:

The locking ring for the eyepiece is frozen in place, normally i'd kroil something like this, but that seems haphazard on a scope. Any advice?

Also, the cross hair seems to dip a few degrees to the right, any way to adjust that? It's on top of a brownell's a1 upper, perhaps that's the issue?

View Quote
The lock ring and eye pice on mine was very tight also. But I was able to break it free with bare hands.
As far as the cross hairs , mine seems good . Did you actually put a level on your upper to make sure it's not just your hold ?
I just ask that because I notice I'm sometimes  the one not holding the rifle level.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
OK I was just messing with the focuse ring eye pice.  And I found that the scope can be rocked in the carry handle .
So if I push it to the left the cross hairs drop left , push right cross hairs drop right..
I'll have to look into this more.
I'm not sure how hard I should tighten down the mount.  But it seems tight .
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, I jumped on the band wagon.........he was up to 45.99 and lowered it down to 42.99.........Guess we will wait and see how these hold up.
View Quote
Bought one today, price still at $42.99.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I jumped on one also. I plan to put it on my M16A1 clone [semi auto].
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, thanks for the heads up and report. Appreciate it. I never bought a Colt scope way back when because every one I looked through was fuzzy and just not good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The rings on the back of the scope should adjust the eye relief a little bit. At least, they do on my Armalite scope. The rear ring is the adjustment, and the front ring is a lock ring to lock it in.
View Quote
I THINK it's supposed to be more of a clarity adjustment than eye relief adjustment.  Most scopes have this feature and can be dialed in for the user.  It would have to be a pretty large adjustment for it to affect eye relief all that much.  

I could be wrong.  I'm no expert on glass.  But this is how I understand it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good deal.

Who's going to shoot with theirs today? I'm watching the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so leaving the house isn't an option.
View Quote
Who's winning?  You must have cable, eh?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK I was just messing with the focuse ring eye pice.  And I found that the scope can be rocked in the carry handle .
So if I push it to the left the cross hairs drop left , push right cross hairs drop right..
I'll have to look into this more.
I'm not sure how hard I should tighten down the mount.  But it seems tight .
View Quote
You may benefit from either shimming it or using some tape as a shim.  If you look at my pics you can see where I used blue painters tape at some point and also have used aluminum on the A1 to shim.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#26]
this one any good?
42.99 on eBay
or the Barska for $69.99
both look fairly authentic
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got one from arparts84 Saturday night on Ebay, it was $35.99. Thanks for the heads up (I think)
View Quote
You guys didn't cost me too much $$$ this time.
Will look good on my old SP-1.
Thanks for the 'ALET!'.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]
does anyone know what company produces them and where they are made? are they made by NcStar?

quite the opposite, after much digging around I found out that they are sold by Keng's Firearms Specialty, Inc. out of Atlanta. The founder is  an immigrant from Taiwan.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who's winning?  You must have cable, eh?
View Quote
I was pulling for Ford with the new GT's in the LMGTE Pro category. They came in P2 after Aston Martin. Supposedly, they had to detune the cars and make them heavier after they won last year, because then, it wasn't even a contest.

No one use theirs yet?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my two. No BDC,reminds me of the Colts.Overall they seem to be well made.Not bad for chicoms.I haven't had time to shoot with them yet
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was pulling for Ford with the new GT's in the LMGTE Pro category. They came in P2 after Aston Martin. Supposedly, they had to detune the cars and make them heavier after they won last year, because then, it wasn't even a contest.

No one use theirs yet?
View Quote
At least it wasn't Audi....  I was getting tired of seeing them saying "Ve're so great".....  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Got mine in today, looks very nice, seems well built. It didnt come with any instructions in the box not that I really need it but in the ad it looks like it was supposed to. Have to wait and see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got my two. No BDC,reminds me of the Colts.Overall they seem to be well made.Not bad for chicoms.I haven't had time to shoot with them yet
View Quote
What do you mean?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is mine on my xm177e2 clone. I like it just hope it holds up!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]
That's hot supersnake.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's hot supersnake.  Very nice.
View Quote
Thanks, love this little rifle, it wasnt fun though reprofiling that anderson lower to A1 configuration.......... I may end up getting a brownells blem lower if they put the new improper marked ones on sale,fill in the markings and moly resin it. I just dont like the Anderson logo on this one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Mine does have the BDC.My scewup.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
A bad picture of looking through mine.  But you get the idea.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A bad picture of looking through mine.  But you get the idea.

http://i.imgur.com/49hrOSS.jpg
View Quote
The reticle in them is identical to that of my Hakko/Colt 4x20 and near identical to that of my Hakko 4x21.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I got mine and mounted it on my M16A1 surplus upper with a SAK marked barrel on a Sendra lower. Went to the range today, outdoor was closed due to TS Cindy so I had only 25 yard indoor. First two rounds about 1 inch below bull and slightly left. Made some slight adjustments to center it left 1 inch low so I hope its on at 100 later. The eye relief seems a little short for me. I also can't get the scope focused all that well, I wear glasses.  Not sure if I will keep it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I got mine and mounted it on my M16A1 surplus upper with a SAK marked barrel on a Sendra lower. Went to the range today, outdoor was closed due to TS Cindy so I had only 25 yard indoor. First two rounds about 1 inch below bull and slightly left. Made some slight adjustments to center it left 1 inch low so I hope its on at 100 later. The eye relief seems a little short for me. I also can't get the scope focused all that well, I wear glasses.  Not sure if I will keep it.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9921/IMG-20170622-162856-236601.JPG
View Quote
I know on mine if the eye adjustment is out to far it gets a little blurry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I fiddled with it once I got home and got it pretty well focused. That adjustable ring was was very tight.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#43]
got one today. Looks good. adjustment ring works well is not overly tight. As other's have said, on a carbine, with an adjustable stock, it's going to take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Since my distance vision is almost as good without glass as corrected, I pop my glasses down on my nose a tad bit, and look over the top of them to sight through the scope.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd be interested in buying either a broken scope, or the windage cap from one that's been used as a parts source for other projects. I have an original Colt scope that's missing its windage cap...
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in buying either a broken scope, or the windage cap from one that's been used as a parts source for other projects. I have an original Colt scope that's missing its windage cap...
View Quote
No guarantee that either will fit. Even between my two Colt scopes, neither of the caps interchange.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone else had a chance to run theirs yet?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone else had a chance to run theirs yet?
View Quote
I plan to get out next week
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I plan to get out next week
View Quote
My range is closed on the two days I'm off (Sunday and Monday). I have more than enough land to shoot on myself, but I have idiot neighbors who like to make a fuss of everything.

I will also say that if anyone is not happy with theirs and wants to let it go, please let me know.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#50]
you guys must have bought them all.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top