Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 5:59:23 PM EDT
I purchased one of the McKay A1 lowers on the run which became available last month. I have re-profiled several lowers in the past to varying degrees of success; some turned out pretty good, others okay, and all were a LOT of work. So this is my first foray into assembling a rifle from an "A1" lower.

This will be a classic A1 build. I already have a nice set of handguards, pistol grip, type E trapdoor buttstock, a C H forge code upper, and a CMP Chrome Bore marked pencil barrel (in very nice shape). I have never done an A1 for myself and am looking forward to having one.

Now, about the lower:

There are some good things about the McKay; they have a solid reputation as being a quality mil-spec part, the markings are minimalist and look cool, and it does have an overall A1 shape to it. Now to the bad things; it is very obviously machined from an A2 forging, and the areas machined to the A1 profile are very noticeable. This has definately not been corrected from previous runs of this part.

So now there is a bit of work to do to try and make this look a bit more authentic...
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked the areas of concern with hand files and 150 grit sandpaper.

I have managed to flatten out the weird rib on the buffer extension support and the detent housing. I also worked some of the weird machine areas around the pivot pin lugs. Next will be a coat of Moly Resin and we will see how this turned out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.

In case you want to know, Brownell's just got their A1 lowers back in stock. I ordered one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting.

In case you want to know, Brownell's just got their A1 lowers back in stock. I ordered one.
View Quote
lol, just shat on all of his work. I would've gone with the Brownell's myself, just for the fact that their customer service is amazing. The only reason I didn't go with McKay, is because of Brownells reputation is more well known/ proven than McKays. Also Brownells has a lot of deals going on...
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mckay A1 and I love it, its not 100% but I didn't want to mess with sanding on it because it matches my upper almost perfect.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought two and returned them right away. I don't even think those machine marks pass for blem. Two Brownells are on the big brown truck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a long wait, but I'd rather wait for NoDak Spud to have them available. I'll be getting an 80% in the white when they have them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just gonna say that the OP is quite the perfectionist, or has a bad case of the bug  

Personally love Nodak and have several. Like Brownell's and have one. McKay works for him and I am OK with having another alternative. I might get one later.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't seen a McKay lower in person. What specifically were you unhappy with?  I used to reprofile A2 lowers on my mill before NDS came along, and I've been happy with my NDS lowers. I figure if I was to reprofile an A2 lower, I would use an NDS as a model.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a McKay lower in person. What specifically were you unhappy with?  I used to reprofile A2 lowers on my mill before NDS came along, and I've been happy with my NDS lowers. I figure if I was to reprofile an A2 lower, I would use an NDS as a model.
View Quote
Take a look at the first two pics I posted. You can see the areas where the A2 shapes were. It's like McKay did an initial re-profile of an A2, but did not do any finishing work. The work was especially pronounced around the buffer extension, the mill lines are quite visible.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take a look at the first two pics I posted. You can see the areas where the A2 shapes were. It's like McKay did an initial re-profile of an A2, but did not do any finishing work. The work was especially pronounced around the buffer extension, the mill lines are quite visible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
McKay definitely could have done a much better job reprofiling.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally sprayed the McKay yesterday. I'm quite happy with the results, and at least I don't have to fill any "safe/semi" marks like I do on my Brownells lower...

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll post pics of the rifle when I finish the build.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll post pics of the rifle when I finish the build.
View Quote
Nice. Looking forward to it
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks 1,000% better; great job!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks ya'll
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a full rifle now

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow turned out great!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, that looks great. I can't believe McKay or anyone would put their name on something as bad as it originally was. I just got a Brownell's, and that doesn't begin to compare to the NoDak lowers either, but it is better than that one. Retro stuff is getting popular. You'd think someone would take advantage of the opportunity out there at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again for the compliments. Wasn't real happy with the way McKay sent it out, but it does seem like a nice lower otherwise. Everything fits nicely, and the takedown/pivot pins work well. Overall I am quite happy. And fixing this one was a heck of a lot easier than trying to re-profile one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Is very nice - you can't have too many 603s or 1911s.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Did you just use the moly resin just on the fixed areas or did you spray the whole lower?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you just use the moly resin just on the fixed areas or did you spray the whole lower?
View Quote
Sprayed the whole lower, and gave a coat to the upper for a match. I also sprayed the trigger guard, charging handle and latch, slip ring,and the mag release button. All were done in Norrel's grayish flat black.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is very nice - you can't have too many 603s or 1911s.
View Quote
I couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#24]
How are you planning to fill the lettering on the Brownell's lower?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How are you planning to fill the lettering on the Brownell's lower?  
View Quote
I did that over the weekend as well; I used JB weld. I took several pics and will post a thread soon.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Mckay and I had thought about doing the same as you as far as fixing some of those issues but my old Colt upper matches my lower so well. I could coat both the upper and lower like you did but I love the look of my upper to much to coat it maybe one day......
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did that over the weekend as well; I used JB weld. I took several pics and will post a thread soon.
View Quote
Cool, thank you.  Nice looking rifle, by the way!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a Mckay and I had thought about doing the same as you as far as fixing some of those issues but my old Colt upper matches my lower so well. I could coat both the upper and lower like you did but I love the look of my upper to much to coat it maybe one day......
View Quote
Have you tried MolyResin? There are also some nice options with Cerakote. Some of the earlier retros I did I used DuraCoat, but I was never quite happy with it. I could never get it to spray thin enough and it always looked kinda thick and shiney.

Anywhoo, think about making your receivers gray. A gray rifle really sticks out in a sea of black rifles.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool, thank you.  Nice looking rifle, by the way!
View Quote
I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you tried MolyResin? There are also some nice options with Cerakote. Some of the earlier retros I did I used DuraCoat, but I was never quite happy with it. I could never get it to spray thin enough and it always looked kinda thick and shiney.

Anywhoo, think about making your receivers gray. A gray rifle really sticks out in a sea of black rifles.
View Quote
Yes, I have been kicking around the idea of spraying my x177e2 clone with the moly resin, I also want to coat my lower on my old Palmetto Armory(not PSA) since its far from matching the upper. I was going to sell it to someone in the ban states but there is something about that lower that I have a hard time wanting to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice build she turned out to be. Great work putting it all together.

Speaking of some of the brands of A1 retro lowers; At one time I kinda wanted to have examples of each. PSA, Nodak, Tactical made one briefly, now Brownells and McKay.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very nice build she turned out to be. Great work putting it all together.

Speaking of some of the brands of A1 retro lowers; At one time I kinda wanted to have examples of each. PSA, Nodak, Tactical made one briefly, now Brownells and McKay.
View Quote
PSA does an A1?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PSA does an A1?
View Quote
Help me out here. There were other manuf pre-ban, SGW and someone else... Apparently NOT PSA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Help me out here. There were other manuf pre-ban, SGW and someone else... Apparently NOT PSA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PSA does an A1?
Palmetto Armory. I think they were affiliated with Olympic. They made a partial fence billet lowers.
recent thread where someone found one
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]
There you go. That's what I was thinking of. Those old cast lowers are collectible in their own right.

Anyway. Doubt I will ever amass a collection of said retro lowers. But would bet money someone who reads this has.

And my apologies to the OP for derailing this thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#36]
These comments seem appropriate to this thread to me. Who made those old A1 lowers that were marked "Commando". I think they were pre-ban. Were they the palmetto ones?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Beautiful. It came out beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Palmetto Armory. I think they were affiliated with Olympic. They made a partial fence billet lowers.
recent thread where someone found one
View Quote
Yup that one is mine, Its all Colt except the lower, its a partial fence and supposedly these are the first billet lowers made. These were produced from 1979-1982 by SWG(Olympic). I was going to sell it to one on the ban states but I really like it so its staying in my collection. The only thing I dont like it the color of it. From my understaning its actually black paint.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
These comments seem appropriate to this thread to me. Who made those old A1 lowers that were marked "Commando". I think they were pre-ban. Were they the palmetto ones?
View Quote
I believe that was PWA that made those marked cammando.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes; PWA made the Commando lowers, both pre-ban and ban era, and I believe had some relationship with LMT.

Eagle Arms also made A1 lowers. I bought an A2 rifle during the ban that was built on one and converted it to M4 style using a Colt 6922 upper (16" M4 barrel w/ 1/9 twist). I sold it after the ban expired to someone in NY, but wish I'd kept it since rediscovering retro.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes; PWA made the Commando lowers, both pre-ban and ban era, and I believe had some relationship with LMT.

Eagle Arms also made A1 lowers. I bought an A2 rifle during the ban that was built on one and converted it to M4 style using a Colt 6922 upper (16" M4 barrel w/ 1/9 twist). I sold it after the ban expired to someone in NY, but wish I'd kept it since rediscovering retro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the things I had during the ban era that I wished I hadn't sold in 2005 to fund mags and other "afterban" stuff
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top