User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think all of us wish the Hughes amendment never passed in the first place..... I think that was 68? Either way, still sucks that we can't purchase new full-auto or even burst lowers. I'd love to have an AR that went full auto. Even if no ranges around me allowed me to, the fact that (in a better world) I was legally able to purchase this rifle with the full auto capability without really thinking anything of it, in other words this ability being nothing special, that would still rock.
View Quote
To be honest, I'd likely never go full auto unless I had a friend or family member that wanted to try it out. I had my share of full auto while I was in the Army so it wouldn't be a novelty for me. I'd just see $15 or $20 flying down range in 10 seconds every time the trigger was pulled and a magazine was emptied lol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
^damn!
I'm waiting on my colt m16a1 right now.....I won't ever shoot it in semi auto or any of my ars in semi auto again

Besides....6 bucks every 2-2.5 seconds is more accurate
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
^damn!
I'm waiting on my colt m16a1 right now.....I won't ever shoot it in semi auto or any of my ars in semi auto again

Besides....6 bucks every 2-2.5 seconds is more accurate
View Quote
Like I said, I fired it on full auto enough while I was in the Army. When the Army was paying for the ammo, that was great. When I have to pay for it, not so much lol.

Having a true M16A1 would be awesome and I'd LOVE to have one... if it was about the same price as what a clone costs to put together. A re-weld magwell or an 80% with custom engraving is as close as I'll likely come to one though, unless I strike it rich and can put $25,000 to $30,000 into a single rifle and I'd likely only do that if I could get the last rifle that I was issued in the Army. That's be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Occasionally I stalk their facebook page. Missed this from two weeks ago.

Testing new Brownells products on the range doesn't suck!

FYI...furniture color is for the prototype only and is not the final intended color.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
They test on NoDak receivers

Or did they re-spray their own receivers grey?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad that is a prototype color I was gonna say he'll no lol
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are Brownells receivers machined from Nodak spud forgings. The receivers do look gray in comparison to the black magazine, the black trigger guard, and the barrel. This could have been a special set Brownells did as they usually only have black receivers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are Brownells receivers machined from Nodak spud forgings. The receivers do look gray in comparison to the black magazine, the black trigger guard, and the barrel. This could have been a special set Brownells did as they usually only have black receivers.
View Quote
Maybe they're going to start selling XM gray, to be more correct.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just wish that real A1 lower receivers were as easy to obtain and not $25,000.00 lol.
View Quote
Couple hundred bucks in Germany.  Obviously highly illegal to bring one back to the US though.

As others have mentioned, I'm curious about the materials.  Mostly the pistol grip.  The originals were Bakelite or phenolic or something like that, super hard.  The pic Brownell's posted looks like common plastic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
They better not be making grey receivers for them selves and not us

Maybe the next batch will be grey?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Couple hundred bucks in Germany.  Obviously highly illegal to bring one back to the US though.

As others have mentioned, I'm curious about the materials.  Mostly the pistol grip.  The originals were Bakelite or phenolic or something like that, super hard.  The pic Brownell's posted looks like common plastic.
View Quote
I would actually prefer more of a modern plastic (such as what is used in current Colt A2 furniture, or whatever Magpul uses) in the new Brownells A1 furniture.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I really hope this comes out for a reasonable price, and quality is good. I'd buy at least a full set of each color.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My guess is right at first it will be expensive to recoup the cost of tooling, but after some time it'll go down most likely.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So, I got bored and creeped their facebook again. No new posts regarding furniture, and I also took a trip through the comments of relevant photos. Of course, nothing new there either, but I did find this little gem. For any of you wanting waffle mags, maybe keep an eye on this.....

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originals are fiber reenforced melamine. Like your old school and army lunch trays. Production wise, cost the same as modern plastics. (Hint hint for brownells :) )
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Posted a couple pictures to show the depth and 3D nature of the originals. Every one is unique----almost like a finger print. Notice the fiber/fabric mentioned by pfcmoped---bottom picture.  

IMG_2571 by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_2679 by Shannon, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Why are those so shiny?  Are they clear coated or something?  I've had several sets of originals, but none that shiny...
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
For sure, I had to do some work on the handguards and the clear blended everything in nicely. That was right after I shot them-----they have since dulled off some.

Talking handguards here is one that went on my bfpu (oiled up a little). Sure tells a story:

LH bpu by Shannon, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This Summer:
Type D Stock, M16A1 Handguards w/ Heatshield & A1 Pistol Grip.
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/FullSizeRender-229758.jpg

These will be available as a kit & individually, in black, green and brown.

Pricing not yet finalized.
View Quote
Any chance of a N-type collapsing stock?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any chance of a N-type collapsing stock?
View Quote
M&A Parts has a Colt-style CAR stock that's very close to the N-type for only $25.50. They also sell a complete kit for $60.

Mil-Spec Car Stock Body
CAR Stock Assembly

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about this? I thought I saw a post by Harlan of NDS posted in this Retro forum they have nothing to do with Brownell's....

ETA: Essential Arms & Tony's make CAR aluminum butts
http://essentialarms.com/ieSTOCKS.html
https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-stock-aluminum/
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You sure about this? I thought I saw a post by Harlan of NDS posted in this Retro forum they have nothing to do with Brownell's....

ETA: Essential Arms & Tony's make CAR aluminum butts
http://essentialarms.com/ieSTOCKS.html
https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-stock-aluminum/
View Quote
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-m16-a1-blemished-lower-receiver-prod107496.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m16-a1-upper-receiver-prod83620.aspx

Read Brownells descriptions.

Mike and Harlan have stated many times, NDS provides the forgings, Brownells has them machined somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Sleep deprived--thank you--I found Harlan's post where he said Brownell's buys their forgings & machine them--NDS doesn't machine.

Thanks for catching my oops
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sleep deprived--thank you--I found Harlan's post where he said Brownell's buys their forgings & machine them--NDS doesn't machine.

Thanks for catching my oops
View Quote

Go to bed..
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think all of us wish the Hughes amendment never passed in the first place..... I think that was 68? Either way, still sucks that we can't purchase new full-auto or even burst lowers. I'd love to have an AR that went full auto. Even if no ranges around me allowed me to, the fact that (in a better world) I was legally able to purchase this rifle with the full auto capability without really thinking anything of it, in other words this ability being nothing special, that would still rock.
View Quote
Hughes was 86.
Not that I would use it much but a fun switch would be nice to have.

I'd love some repro six hole slim carbine handguards...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hughes was 86.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hughes was 86.

I want an M1921 or M1928 Thompson smg.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
The DS Arms CAR hand guards aren't bad.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-14109-dsa-ar15-car-handguard-tapered-with-heat-shield.aspx

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
They are definitely priced right. I'm real curious to see how they turned out. Especially the 601 styles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They are definitely priced right. I'm real curious to see how they turned out. Especially the 601 styles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was just going to order a stock since I have a couple of sets of NOS hand guards, but at that price it's worth getting the whole set.

They also have an A1 rifle stock completion kit listed which contains receiver extension, buffer, spring and stock screw. Per the Q&A, the screw is the correct A1 length.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-a1-rifle-buffer-tube-assembly-a1-rifle-stock-completion-kit-sku080-000-553-27315-53574.aspx
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Ooooh, that's a great price. I wonder when the brown and green sets will be available?

It'll be nice to have affordable A1 furniture to beat up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#32]
One thing to notice is that it says material is polymer. That's not exactly a good sign IMO.

This may be reasonable for a 10' rifle, but I doubt it's all that accurate of a reproduction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Sweet! I just might buy two sets.

"Retro furniture from Brownells is not an exact copy of original components or their construction.  Some areas have been changed due to manufacturing methods or to avoid counterfeit concerns."

This doesn't bother me, but I know it will bother some so, I'm pointing it out. Will be interesting to see what exactly is different VS the true USGI originals.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a set, will come back with pictures when I get it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got notification that my set will be here Thursday, I will take some pics and post when I get them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome, guys. I hope they're as good as they look!

EDIT:
Appears they also have the individual parts out now, too.

Pistol grip: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-retro-pistol-grip-prod109338.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=brownells

stock: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-retro-buttstocks-prod109339.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=brownells

handguards: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-retro-handguard-sets-prod109337.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=brownells

If for some reason the links decide to break, the parts can be found under handguards / pistol grips / stocks as with any other part, and all three are available in black, 601 green and original brown.

I'm looking forward to ditching the a2 grip on my Windham. I hate finger notches/grooves with a passion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I also noticed that they are offering their upper in grey now too. Nothing mentioned on the lower though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I also noticed that they are offering their upper in grey now too. Nothing mentioned on the lower though.
View Quote
Where do you see this?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Where do you see this?
View Quote
I just looked at their A1 uppers on their website and it did say, now in grey...just do a google search for Brownells A1 uppers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just looked at their A1 uppers on their website and it did say, now in grey...just do a google search for Brownells A1 uppers.
View Quote
I'm only seeing the black ones for sale though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm only seeing mention of gray receivers in the product description for the black ones but not for sale, probably going to show up soon though. I'm tempted to buy one each of these new furniture sets to see how they are, the price sure is right. Too bad I've already blown quite a bit of cash on retro parts already this month
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, I just bought the set and a 20" barrel!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if the Brownells brown will match the NDS handguards.
That would be nice...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#44]
 I've been trying to convince Brownells to produce A1 furniture and barrels for years. Glad some of this stuff is finally coming back on the market. Glad to see they went sensibly priced on the furniture; that's important.

Notice they also have CAR stock bodies, Chromed BCGs (with and without F/A serrations) and A1 stock screws listed.

CAR stock body: Stock body

Chromed BCGs: Chromed BCGs

A1 Buttstock Screw: A1 Buttstock Screw
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#45]
 Now, about those C7 uppers, Brownells... Lol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd just see $15 or $20 flying down range in 10 seconds every time the trigger was pulled and a magazine was emptied lol.
View Quote
^^^
This guy shoots.  :)

Seriously though, glad to see Brownell's has got this going.  You can pretty much buy everything you need now to make an A1 clone from them, except the sights.  

Makes me consider building another one!  :)

Steve
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
 I've been trying to convince Brownells to produce A1 furniture and barrels for years. Glad some of this stuff is finally coming back on the market. Glad to see they went sensibly priced on the furniture; that's important.

Notice they also have CAR stock bodies, Chromed BCGs (with and without F/A serrations) and A1 stock screws listed.

CAR stock body: Stock body

Chromed BCGs: Chromed BCGs

A1 Buttstock Screw: A1 Buttstock Screw
View Quote
Alas, the car15 stock is for commercial size buffer tubes and missing the strengthening ribs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Alas, the car15 stock is for commercial size buffer tubes and missing the strengthening ribs.
View Quote
 I noticed that too, thought it was a bit strange.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless Brownells is selling a commercial receiver extension with a flat end, this car stock is useless. The standard commercial receiver extension has an angled end which will show when the stock is fully collapsed.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top