Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2017 11:57:55 PM EDT
I found this at the last Creek and showed it to several people without a firm ID.  I presume it's an early free floating handguard mount.  It's all steel and is setup to use the older triangle handguard assembly with the sling swivel neatly tig welded to the front cap.  It's very heavily constructed and has 4 small set screws ahead of the barrel nut to help lock it in place.

Is this military, Colt,  or strictly an aftermarket civilian piece? Anyone seen one or know who made it?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember these being around a few decades ago.  It was a acceptable modification for service rifle competitions (CMP),  was commonly seen along with a big lead weight that fit in the trapdoor compartment of the buttstock to make the rifle heaver.
Concealed Free Float tubes were allowed as long the look remained "stock"  Several companies made/sold them.  Don't see them as much anymore because the rules have evolved to allow FF handguards as many "service" rifles have them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one of those a few years ago when I wanted to shoot service rifle. Last time I checked, they were still in production.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one of those a few years ago when I wanted to shoot service rifle. Last time I checked, they were still in production.
View Quote
Yup.  Never a general item of military issue, although all the military marksmanship unit teams use them, or at least did until the Jarheads switched to rails a couple years ago.  Could be some of the other teams have too.

Still available from a variety of sources.  White Oak and Compass Lake immediately come to mind, although the design for the locking collar will vary to use a locking sleeve instead of set screws.  Generally you have to remove the liners from A2 hand guards for them to fit.  There are also lead "cuffs" that fit between the hand guard and the tube for balance and weight distribution.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup.  Never a general item of military issue, although all the military marksmanship unit teams use them, or at least did until the Jarheads switched to rails a couple years ago.  Could be some of the other teams have too.

Still available from a variety of sources.  White Oak and Compass Lake immediately come to mind, although the design for the locking collar will vary to use a locking sleeve instead of set screws.  Generally you have to remove the liners from A2 hand guards for them to fit.  There are also lead "cuffs" that fit between the hand guard and the tube for balance and weight distribution.
View Quote
I made the mistake of following the instructions and used Locktite on the collar...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I made the mistake of following the instructions and used Locktite on the collar...
View Quote
 Ouch!

Well at least it didn't come loose in a match.  That might be worse.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't help on the id of who made it but have pictures of one installed

other side view

This thread will show free float tube on the rifle,from when i needed help in identifying what is was and used for.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/631605_Need_help_identifying_an_A2_barrel_addition_andamp__any_info_on_Brown_furniture_set__numerous_pictures.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
....is setup to use the older triangle handguard assembly
View Quote

A2 HGs use a triangle end cap too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for the great info.  I see Fulton still sells a very similar mount as well as others.  Hadn't thought about the M16A2 also using the triangle front cap as well.  While the A2 might be on the edges of what we consider retro at this point, they are still too new for my tastes and I've never acquired any parts or pieces.

I was aware of service rifle matches where the rifle had to have certain stock characteristics but I'm afraid I'm not much of a precision shooter.  Maybe that's why I collect grenade launchers and machine guns......more of an "area target" guy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
They are the same type DPMS used when they made DCM uppers, they differ a bit with the sling swivel directly under the cap rather than cantilevered out a bit to be in the same place as the normal swivel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for the great info.  I see Fulton still sells a very similar mount as well as others.  Hadn't thought about the M16A2 also using the triangle front cap as well.  While the A2 might be on the edges of what we consider retro at this point, they are still too new for my tastes and I've never acquired any parts or pieces.

I was aware of service rifle matches where the rifle had to have certain stock characteristics but I'm afraid I'm not much of a precision shooter.  Maybe that's why I collect grenade launchers and machine guns......more of an "area target" guy.
View Quote
I could be wrong, but I think all of these came stock with A2 handguards.  By the time someone thought of free floating the barrel for DCM, it was the A2 era...
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
What is a fair price for a set of these , Used?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a commercial NM free float tube as stated above.

What is a fair price for a set of these , Used?

For what I'm seeing in pic $40 would be rather generous based on condition and the parts I'm seeing.  If I saw it in a parts bin with the rust and missing gas tube and HG's, $20 would probably be very appreciated by most anyone.  Kinda depends on mfg and lots of different mfg's for these.  Hey if it works not much difference between well used / Bubba'd and NIW on target except coins spent.  

Generally prices ranged from $75-150 new regardless of vendor.  DPMS used to be had for $75-85 on sale rather often a few years back.  RRA today is best average price at $100ish and used to be $120ish.  These have actually come down in price from a few years back.

RRA is readily available new with HG's and gas tube at Brownells,  one of our goto site vendor's for $99.99 every day.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j3j4vu14e200zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Fforend-amp-handguard-parts%2Fhandguards-amp-rails%2Far-15-m16-nm-free-float-barrel-sleeve-prod9943.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=rock+river+arms

Many mfgs just re-package these and sell them for more.   I never pay over $50 for them complete used unless like new condition and then I'll go up to $75 with a couple coins for shipping if I need it bad enough.  Missing parts or if they have been red loc-tited like RRA does or did on their factory assembled NM units and add Bubba removal and price drops more.  

Lots of RRA take offs generally for $50ish usually a little moron chewed up from Bubba removal and red loc-tite factory install if one knows where to look.  Brownells clearanced out their DPMS NM units last year at $75 and not much difference between any of the mfgs on target in reality.  Might be some crap out there but reputable vendors will be fairly equal in quality.

They will improve accuracy a bit for most especially shooting longer distances with sling hold.  Won't see much if any gain shooting the shorter distances generally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#13]
[What Mark said just above.   My Service Rifle was equipped with one, of my own make. I couldnt tell much difference at 200/300, but had less verticle stringing at 600 yards...and thus, better scores.
  I understand that NRA  Highpower rules allow scoped rifles now.....what the hell?!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to the OP for bringing the to our attention.
And thanks fo the replys on prices and effectiveness.  
You guys are great !
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#15]
So, really an A2 only item, correct?  Not applicable to A1 handguards without some "bubbafication".

Looks like a cool sleeper item if it would work with an A1.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I need to pick a couple of these up. Me and my son are going to Perry next year. When shooting 500 yards off my ruck, rifle shoots up the middle. Sling up the Turner, and the poi shifts 3ft down and 3ft right. So i need to fix this soon.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top