Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Only reason I decided to go for a bayonet is for the looks. Functionally I have no use for it. Well, maybe if some wild sandwiches try to attract me and I run out of ammo. I might try it out on a box or something soft just for fun but, most of it's life will be spent inside of the scabbard.

Also, updated my sheet a little bit. Added the bayonet entry and also a second =SUM to reflect what I truly paid for the pieces, to account for sales and all that. I'm opting to ignore shipping, as some things ship free, others are combined, etc. That will be different from person to person, if they choose to use my sheet as a guide to building one of their own.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've thought about getting a Bayonet or two, one for my Garand and one or two for my M16 clones, but I just haven't ever gotten around to it.
View Quote
You just HAVE to have the can opener if it fits on the end of your rifle!

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Bayonet is to be delivered today. I'll post up some pictures once I have it in my hands.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Bayonet came in! Definately worth the $50. I'll let my Windham wear it for now.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bayonet came in! Definately worth the $50. I'll let my Windham wear it for now.

http://i.imgur.com/SsQDyCf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/c0pk1dE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0Ah1fDH.jpg
View Quote
Looks great!

But you're gonna haveta find you a PWH M8 scabbard with the metal tip!

Gotta keep it in the right decade ya know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks great!

But you're gonna haveta find you a PWH M8 scabbard with the metal tip!

Gotta keep it in the right decade ya know.
View Quote
That's the one we had in the 80's.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I might have to find that scabbard, although when the bayonet is on the rifle, the scabbard will be in the range bag anyway.

All I know is I love it. I'm tempted to buy another bayonet, but for now I'll just swap this one between rifles. I ought to try it on a watermelon or something.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't mind having one but I think I'd rather put the money into a steel pot or a Kevlar, or both since I used both.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey VA, I've been looking at this part of the strap on the scabbard, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is used for. Would you be able to tell me?

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
It hooks into the old brass rivet web belts.  I had to wiggle that thing out on mine.  Fortunately the standard rigger's belt goes through the slot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey VA, I've been looking at this part of the strap on the scabbard, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is used for. Would you be able to tell me?
View Quote
As was said, it's for hooking it onto your pistol belt.

Here's a few pictures of a holster hooked to the pistol belt ...

Pistol Belt 1

Pistol Belt 2

Pistol Belt 3

Pistol Belt 4
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I've been staring at this thing wondering.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's the one we had in the 80's.
View Quote
I always thought the M10's were later.

But I collect mostly older stuff so I aint up on the newer gear.

ETA That wire thingy is properly known as an M1910 hanger and ALICE clips are a lot easier to attach gear with.

Not as easy as the MOLLE stuff now days though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I always thought the M10's were later.
View Quote
In the Signal units, we mostly had old stuff from the Vietnam era. We never even sniffed an M16A2. I wish I could find my old weapons cards, I'd look up the serial number range. I'm sure at least a few of my issued rifles were Vietnam era.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a little heads up, I'm opting to stock pile my cash until black friday and the like and catch as many parts as possible around then. So if you don't see anything for a while, I'm not dead and the project is still happening, just making the cash go a bit further. Would be nice if Brownells would release the furniture already, though.... I'll admit, I'm impatient.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just a little heads up, I'm opting to stock pile my cash until black friday and the like and catch as many parts as possible around then. So if you don't see anything for a while, I'm not dead and the project is still happening, just making the cash go a bit further. Would be nice if Brownells would release the furniture already, though.... I'll admit, I'm impatient.
View Quote
Not a terrible idea I will admit. That's how I got my $2,100 MSRP build down to $1,400 actually paid ($150 SSA-E FTW!).

Just don't be like me and be in-between jobs without a paycheck when it hits.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Just bought a 'new' Vietnam-era bipod and a late 3 prong flash hider. Total was 32 bucks plus change, shipped to my door. When it arrives I'll post up pictures of both.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The box came in about an hour or two ago, and of course I cracked it open. Just finished updating my spreadsheet, which I will link again in this post for convenience's sake.

The muzzle device, according to one reviewer, is said to be a reproduction piece, although the actual listing itself makes no claims as to whether it's true USGI or a reproduction, but either way it looks to be correct and it's beautifully finished, so I'm happy with it. It was also a few cents cheaper from where I bought it from vs ar15sport. Since you have to have a minimum of 20 dollars in product on an order, I opted to snag one of these muzzle devices along with the bipod. Pictures don't do it justice, so you'll have to take my word for it when I say it looks really good, at least as far as the finish goes. The only thing I'm not really thrilled about is that on the edges of the 'fins' or whatever you call them, you can see some 'dents' and very minor deformation. You have to get the light just right to see it and you can't feel it under your finger, but it's still there no less. If I were to buy another, I'd buy it from AR15sport.

My other qualm is about the bipod itself. The shape appears to be good, no dents and it's not bent anywhere, but I did find bits of rust on it here and there. Now, I also found what I believe to be serial numbers on both halves of the bipod, which leads me to believe that it is true USGI, in which case I can forgive the rust, but i find it a touch misleading to call something that's rusting 'new'. But, for 15 dollars vs 80+ on ebay, I'm okay with that, because it now looks brand new and will actually match the gun when it's built. I'm sure a few will scream at me for what I did, but, here it is anyway. Even if it wasn't kind of rusty, the color it was didn't match worth a hoot with today's black anodizing. At least now it will match.

I used a mild wire brush to get rid of the rust, and a brush to remove any dirt that was on it, then wiped it off with a paper towel. I had some automotive primer left over from another unrelated project, so I shot it with that then I used some satin black krylon fusion, using my Windham AR15 to judge whether or not it would work out right. It's actually a pretty good match, considering. And yes, I know it says 'for plastic', but I've found it also bonds just as well to metals and primers with the usual prepping, so I gave it two or three coats. I don't have a photo of the finished product yet, but I will soon. The rust is hard to see, as it blends in well with the original finish.

PS: Taking pictures of black parts on a black desk really blows.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Turns out the paint was too thick for the scissor joint. Stripped the paint, filled in the numbers with white paint, and rubbed some oil on the bare metal. Couldn't grab a full shot photo in the dark, so these will have to suffice for the time being.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally got one of the more expensive pieces of equipment I need for this build. 6" wide vice from Menards. 70 bucks normally, got it for less than 5 dollars. How? Rebates. Forgot I had 'em. Best part is, I did it during a rebate sale, so I got 7.70 back. .45 ACP for scale.

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
That is a nice vice for the price.

See what I did there?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, I do see what you did there, lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Brownells finally released their furniture set for a whopping 80 dollars. No, not a typo. $80.00 for the handguards, pistol grip, and stock. Sounds like a steal to me!

So, now that the furniture is sorted out, I finally have the complete budget for the build, just a touch under $1,050, not including the FFL fee and all that jazz for the lower receiver. I'll make a note of that transaction when it takes place, but I won't roll it into the final price paid since that's specific to me. Another guy might have to pay 50 or just 25.

I'm not sure if I'll purchase the furniture now or wait until after I'm stocked up on tools. I am going to wait and see what a few other members have to say about the set before I purchase them, however. I plan on going with the black furniture set, not green or brown. I have also adjusted for any necessary parts required to make the furniture work, such as the shorter stock screw for example.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure how long this has been available,  but I believe fellow builders would appreciate finding this.
RADICAL FIREARMS - AR-15 THREE PRONG FLASH HIDER 22 CALIBER [100-023-331WB]

On brownells, there is a 'tool-less' 3 prong flash hider, late design. Rather than needing a tool that fits into the bills of the flash hider, this one has wrench flats milled into the sides to allow tightening with a standard 7/8ths wrench or with an appropriate armorer's wrench. I already have a flash hider, but buying this one will be cheaper than paying for yet another tool that will likely only get one use out of it's lifetime. I've added this to my build sheet.

Project Vietnam (Google Docs)
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Having just learned about a piece of proposed legislation seeking to ban 'rate increasing devices' I'm getting this project started sooner than anticipated; as in this weekend. The lower will be the first part, then I'll see what else I can afford to get. If worse comes to worse and I can't finish it, they'll be spare parts for my Windham. If you don't know what I'm talking about, give this video a watch and contact your reps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCLoIorYguU
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]
This morning, I placed two orders at Brownells. Barrel extention torque tool, four different punches, rear sight assembly, forward assist assembly, and the M16A1 furniture set. I divided these in half to make the most use out of the $13 off + free shipping coupon, which applies after you go over $100. The second order was $9 short, so I tossed on a box of .45 ACP. Tomorrow I'll be getting a lower, so I'll have photos of that and when the parts/tools come in, I'll post pictures of those as well. Of course, i've updated the spreadsheet and I've also added a new cell just below the total spent which deducts any money I saved from promocodes that don't affect one specific item.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the lower, after a frustrating affair.

Went to Rural King to purchase it. Told the guy what I wanted, and he has me fill out 4473, business as usual. So, while he helps other customers, I wind up waiting an hour and a half before I'm told "Oh we don't have that". That's it. Not even the barest hint of an apology for, you know, wasting that time standing around waiting. I don't believe I'm all high and mighty or nothing but, really?

So after a couple phone calls I found my local Bucks & Jakes has the same thing, for about 4 bucks more. They're the people I've done my FFL transfers through prior. I had the receiver in my hands, out the door in less than 30 minutes with a bit of a chat in there too. Into the ammo can it goes until I get the parts for it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Great that you have your lower, sucks about the first shop though. Doesn't sound like a place to do business anymore.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#30]
You have a new plan of attack for your bipod? Might be a great way to try out some MolyResin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, it sucks about them. I won't write them off completely, as I go there for other stuff, but Bucks & Jakes is definately becoming my primary source for firearms and receivers.

The bipod on the other hand has been finished for a while, I've only neglected to take photos of it. All I did was wire-wheel off the new paint and old finish, then rubbed with acetone. After it dried, the numbers were color-filled in white then given a film coat of oil to prevent rust.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
The furniture came in today, but it appears someone forgot the punches during packing. I sent an email, and I know they'll make it right. Brownells is a good company, and this is the only time out of several orders that they've made a mistake.

The furniture is mounted onto my Windham Weaponry AR15A4 for now. When it comes time for Project Vietnam to be assembled, the Windham's original furniture will be reinstalled onto it and this furniture put onto Project Vietnam. I did this to ensure it fits properly and to hopefully get some nice usage wear onto them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Package came in today. Nothing too awful exciting, but progress no less. All i really need now is a barrel nut wrench, as far as tools go. Remaining parts include: Barrel, gas tube, buffer, buffer spring, buffer tube, the upper receiver, ejection door assembly, lower parts kit, and the bolt carrier group. Sure doesn't feel like I have all that much of it. Maybe it's because the parts are small, for the most part. Oh, and for the curious, that's a AA battery in the center for scale.

What you see here is the barrel extension torque tool, two punches, forward assist assembly components, and the A1 rear sight kit. Speaking of punches, I called Brownells, and they're shipping me the two missing punches on monday. I knew they'd make it right.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Be careful with that Reaction Rod style devise. They have caused quite a bit of damage for people using them on this forum over the years.

Sheared indexing pins and damaged uppers (indexing pin notch) during barrel installation/removal.

Loosened barrel extensions from removing muzzle devices. This usually happens with a barrel that was Nitride finished after the barrel extension was installed.  

And lastly, canted sights that can cause a lot of windage adjustment. Canted sights can happen with clam shell upper receiver vise blocks too, it's just more likely to happen with the reaction rod style tools.

I recommend the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks for barrel installation/removal if you want to go the least expensive route, and barrel blocks for muzzle device installation/removal. Also, don't forget to grease the outward facing flange of the barrel extension... Greasing the flange is a very important step in the assembly process that is rarely mentioned.

Oh, and if you haven't settled on a barrel wrench yet, consider the two from 2UniqueLLC. Their barrel wrenches are the best for standard barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not sure how exactly the pin could be sheared off or any of the issues mentioned could happen, if this tool is used the same way as the Giesle reaction rod, the logic (in my head) being that the upper receiver would no longer be held and acting against the rotational force caused by tightening the barrel nut, rather it would be the chamber area of the barrel acting against it.  Unless maybe the barrel nut wrench is being held still, and the reaction rod is the tool doing the tightening.

As for wrenches, I'm looking at the tapco wrench from brownells. 100-009-876WB From what I hear, the cheaper ones are junk-galore.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#36]
You'll only do damage with the barrel extension rod if you are going over-torque. Canted front sights happen easy, especially with older receivers, you wanna find the neutral point for the indexing pin. If you make 30 lbs and the tooth on the barrel nut is just past lining up; back it off a touch instead of trying to line up the next tooth. Once you make 30 pounds set your torque wrench for the max value (75-80) and don't go over. Remember to run your barrel nut tool at 90 degrees from the torque wrench to keep your moment. If you can't line up the barrel nut within your torque range get another barrel nut. Stay at the low end of the torque scale and you will be fine. I have used my action rod to assemble my last seven builds with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how exactly the pin could be sheared off or any of the issues mentioned could happen, if this tool is used the same way as the Giesle reaction rod, the logic (in my head) being that the upper receiver would no longer be held and acting against the rotational force caused by tightening the barrel nut, rather it would be the chamber area of the barrel acting against it.  Unless maybe the barrel nut wrench is being held still, and the reaction rod is the tool doing the tightening.

As for wrenches, I'm looking at the tapco wrench from brownells. 100-009-876WB From what I hear, the cheaper ones are junk-galore.
View Quote
That's exactly the problem with the reaction rod style tools when used for barrel installation/removal is that they offer no support to the upper, especially when combined with a higher torque situation (close to upper limit of the torque spec or stuck barrel nut).

I would mainly avoid using them to remove a barrel nut because you never know if you are going to get a stuck one.

The standard Reaction Rod is really only half of a good idea, that's why Geissele came out with the Super Reaction Rod and even better than that is the Windham Weaponry barreling jig.

As for the Tapco wrench, it is very similar to the DPMS wrench and the Smith Enterprises wrench that I used to have and they were a disaster and a half... Also, Having the name Tapco behind it would not give me confidence.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm sure it'll be fine. After all, if Charles can get through 7 without issue, I think I can get through at least one. We'll see when it comes time.

Now that I've burnt up a good chunk of my savings on what parts and tools I bought, now the waiting game begins again. Of course I'll mention the punches when those come in, but other than that I don't have much more to say or show for the time being.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Got another needed tool: A bench block / magwell block. Made it myself for $0 vs paying $15 or more for one.

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks! Believe it or not, I didn't actually take any measurements, only the lower and a sharpie to get close and lots of test fitting after various files, chisels and sawing.

To anyone following that wishes to make their own as well, a sawzall works very well to get the angled cut you see. Also keep the blade speed fairly slow as not to overshoot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not a terrible idea I will admit. That's how I got my $2,100 MSRP build down to $1,400 actually paid ($150 SSA-E FTW!).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they always catch me with the bait they throw out the week before black friday. luckily i am not afflicted to anyone decade, i'd buy a rolling block .357 mag carbine if the price is right.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Gotta say, Brownells is really dropping the ball on this one. I contacted them again on the 30th (monday) again about the receivers.... It's now Thursday, almost Friday without a peep. Still a happy customer, just a little surprised at the lack of communication. Suppose I could stalk their facebook and see if they posted anything about 'em.

If anyone knows anything, I'd love to hear it. Kind of holding up the show here. I'm eyeing that up (and the barrel) specifically because I know those go in and out whereas the other parts (BCG and parts from windham) seem to be nearly always available.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
This just in from the Brownells forum...

"Good news! According to merchandising in an update this morning the word is that we should see all of these variants in house in December!

That's the current news! Thank you all so much!"

Also, when the Brownells Rep said "all of these variants" I guess he was referring to the A1, 604 and C7 upper receivers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like I may buy some other pieces in the meantime with that said. I still have to place an order at Windham for some of the other pieces. Buffer assembly, ejection port door, trigger group and all those parts, etc. Also need the BCG and barrel, other than the upper.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Interesting. I was prepping my Anderson lower for a touch of paint and I noticed something that I rather like. This lower does not have any selector markings on the right side, like an A1. Bonus!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Where are you guys finding the proper A1 lock washer again?

Edit: what roll pin punch set do you guys recommend from Brownells?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#48]
A lock washer is nothing special. I'm going to my local rural king and grabbing a handful of the proper size lock washers. Same thing.

I bought four individual roll pin punches from Brownells; Grace brand. 1/8th, 3/32, 5/32 and 5/64ths. I haven't had a chance to truly use them yet, but they appear to be good quality tools. Oughta be for $6 a whack.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A lock washer is nothing special. I'm going to my local rural king and grabbing a handful of the proper size lock washers. Same thing.

I bought four individual roll pin punches from Brownells; Grace brand. 1/8th, 3/32, 5/32 and 5/64ths. I haven't had a chance to truly use them yet, but they appear to be good quality tools. Oughta be for $6 a whack.
View Quote
Yeah after a little research I've concluded I'm going with the remaining needed tools...

-Brownells Upper Receiver Action Block
-Grace USA Roll Pin Set (seem to have great reviews)
-Tapco Armorer Wrench (unless better recommendations)

I just about have everything I need. Oh, cannot forget the barrel flange grease. Aeroshell if I'm correct?

PS, this is a great thread...combination of part lists, part reviews/impressions, tools needed, and etc!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#50]
And for what it's worth, my part list..

M16A1 Retro Build

14/22 64%
Total - Approx. $995.84

Upper - $194.95

Brownells AR-15 M16 A1 Upper ($150)
Luth AR-15 Rear Sight Assembly ($17.99)
Bushmaster AR-15/M16 Tear Drop Forward Assist ($17.99)
Brownells AR-15 Forward Asisst Spring ($1.99)
Brownells AR-15 Forward Assist Roll Pin ($0.99)
Daniel Defense AR-15 Charging Handle (have)
Brownells AR-15 Ejection Port Cover Assembly ($5.99)

Lower - $232.97

Brownells AR-15 M16 A1 Blemished Lower ($124.99)
AR Stoner AR-15 Lower Receiver Parts Kit ($47.99)
Brownells AR-15 Rifle Buffer Kit ($59.99)

Barrel - $294.95

Brownells AR-15 20” A1 Rifle Barrel 1/12 Twist ($249.99)
Brownells AR-15 A1 Flash Hider ($6.99)
Colt AR-15 Gas Tube Stainless Steel Rifle Length ($28.99)
Colt AR-15 Gas Tube Roll Pin ($2.99)
DPMS AR-15 A1 Front Sight Post ($5.99)
Flash hider lock washer

BCG - $172.00

Daniel Defense complete bolt carrier group 5.56mm ($172.00)

Furniture - $100.97

Brownells AR-15 Retro M16A1 Furniture Set ($79.99)
Brownells AR-15 20RD Magazine CS .223/5.56 ($10.49 x 2 = $20.98)

Equipment -

Grace USA Roll Pin Punches ($32.99)
Brownells AR-15/M16 Upper Receiver Action Block ($59.99)
Armorer wrench
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top