Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 8:18:09 AM EDT
greetings everyone,

hopefully I don't sound too stupid explaining this. so I will post in a 'timeline' to make some sense

2013- purchased a 20in 1/9 pencil barrel with FSB installed from ar15sport.com..sent all my parts to the friendly LGS for assembly and cerakote

2014- (like a good 8 months since parts sent in)  Gunsmith was dicking around. finally got my rifle back. oddly enough he closed down a week or so after (Fayetteville NC Arfcommers can guess who this is)..this comes in handy later....

sometime later....FTF galore with the upper, tried all manner of ammo, PMC, Lake City, Federal, Wolf Gold, PPU.

2015- finally take it with me on TDY, a gunsmith pulls the FSB, the gas port isn't at the 12 o clock, more like the 11:57...he widens the gas port... its better but at this point I'm pissed and stubborn, for I don't wanna replace the barrel.

Is it possible to move the gas port to midlength under the handguards, throw a LPGB on it there, and keep the FSB for show?   Thanks in advance for any wisdom, its been a long time since ive posted here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it could be done, but I would not want it that way. I wouldn't want two ports.....don't really like the idea of having one.  I've "fixed" out of time ports by dremel-ing a groove in both the barrel and/or the gas block/frt sight. If you still have FTF problems you've probably got something else going on too.
Gas, under thousands of pounds pressure, does not have to have a "straight line flow" to work.....so grinding or doing something else to connect the port to gas block port does work.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I would try opening the hole on the FSB if that was the route you were to go, I know that would require some time with a carbide burr. Always modify the least expensive part first.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not weld the original hole and drill a new one?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be cheaper & easier with better results to just purchase a new barrel, moving the port back on your current barrel & closing up the current port is possible but difficult (not a job for a novice) & expensive to get done correctly.
I doubt your current gun is undergassed, I would check for other things that could be causing the problem, are the gas rings properly installed, is the key tight, is the gas tube ok & properly installed, is the bolt/carrier ok & properly lubed, etc..?
Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this your only rifle?  Do you have access to another?  To make sure/ narrow down your problem you might want to run your upper on another lower.  Also try another BCG in your upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You really need to talk to John Thomas (Retro Arms Works - 801-441-2801 or [email protected]) about getting that barrel squared away.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top