Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2017 5:14:28 PM EDT
Amendment: Going rate for an M231 stock? thinking of dumping it.

I believe I have an original M231 stock, any insight on the buffer spring length?

Is the buffer tube and actual buffer unobtanium?

Was thinking of doing some frankenbuild.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
They functioned in an entirely different way.  

The carrier was similar, but rather than a hammer, there was a striker that rode in the back and took place of the buffer, and then there were nested springs that shoved that forward.

If you're intent on going completely correct, it'll take a lot of doing.  Parts are near-unobtanium.  I know a couple of the buffer tubes/caps have made the rounds.  I have a tube, but no cap for it.  The springs are likely unicorn beaks, at this point.  I've seen a carrier/striker set go a few years ago.

Most of us just have one of JHud's kits, which use a spring of his own manufacture, as well as a chopped down buffer.

Edit: For whatever it's worth, Augee has a fantastic, photo intensive teardown of a real M231 that he had in his unit, here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/459672_M231_Firing_Port_Weapon_Review________56K_MASSACRE______________.html
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
There are kits in the EE right now here.

I don't have any affiliation with the seller, and haven't looked at those at all.  I just paid for some handguards though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I built this little beast out of one thanks to jhud

I had an original stock block with a repro stock body but missing a few pieces. I got in touch with him and he squared me away with setup to run .223 or 9mm. It is very nice quality and while not cheap it's not outrageous either and he's the only show in town.

You have to use an A1 lower or have the stock modified as well or it will rub on the reinforcement.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Amending my OP, whats the going rate for an original M231 stock? Probably going to dump it on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amending my OP, whats the going rate for an original M231 stock? Probably going to dump it on the EE.
View Quote
You've gotta ask that in the Official Appraisals thread, I'm afraid.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/523435_OFFICIAL-APPRAISAL-THREAD-REQUESTS-FOR-APPRAISALS-ONLY-IN-THIS-THREAD.html&page=37&anc=7461914#i7461914
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dun goofed up, my apologies. ill snag some photos and post it there.

Thanks gents.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top