Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 2:25:18 PM EDT
and I know nothing about them really.  I picked up some of those Colt uppers that popped up for $30.  I have a 20" pencil barrel from brownells and the trinagle handguards.  The A1 lower should be here tomorrow from McKay.  My goal is a late 60's early 70s M16A1 clone.

I have two non-trap buttstocks but from what I am finding I guess I need the style with a trapdoor for a late 60's early 70's A1.

So where is a good source for the later style A1 stock, buffer and buffer tube?  Also someplace that has decent LPK that is A1 correct.  Or will I have to buy the external parts separately?  If I have to get them separate where is a good source?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
and I know nothing about them really.  I picked up some of those Colt uppers that popped up for $30.  I have a 20" pencil barrel from brownells and the trinagle handguards.  The A1 lower should be here tomorrow from McKay.  My goal is a late 60's early 70s M16A1 clone.

I have two non-trap buttstocks but from what I am finding I guess I need the style with a trapdoor for a late 60's early 70's A1.

So where is a good source for the later style A1 stock, buffer and buffer tube?  Also someplace that has decent LPK that is A1 correct.  Or will I have to buy the external parts separately?  If I have to get them separate where is a good source?
View Quote

Actually, from 1967-1970, the M16A1 had a D type stock (no trap door). The E type stock was not introduced until 1971. From late 1967 to 1982, the A1 birdcage FH was used. As far as upper receivers, from 1967-1971, the M16A1 used the same no-forge code uppers as the XM16E1. In 1972-1973, the uppers had CK forge codes and from 1974-82, they had CH forge codes. Some CM forge codes were used from 1972-73, but in very small numbers. Essentially, I would say what you build would be determined by what uppers you have.

I would advise calling Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) to see if he has any more E type stocks in inventory. If he still has any, they were priced at $15. If he has anymore receiver extensions, they were $20. Ask about the buffer, spring, and buttstock screw. Also ask about the M16 lower parts kits. They are original parts minus the auto-sear. They are $95.

BTW, you will need to change out the front sight post on the Brownells barrel to an A1 front sight post. Ask Slim about those too. BTW, they are open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-5pm (EST). Tell him that James sent you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished my first retro-ish build.  I don't now all the ins and outs of AR variants so take this with a grain of salt.

I got an A1 buffer tube assembly from Brownell's.  

I accidentally ordered the A2 kit but I think this is correct for the A1:

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j30jk1qxih00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Fbuffer-tube-parts%2Fbuffer-tubes%2Far-15-m16-a1-rifle-buffer-tube-assembly-prod27315.aspx

The furniture I got from Royal Tiger Imports - my butt stock was in rough shape - cracked and the butt plate was destroyed.  

US Collectors Ordnance has butt stocks of various grades.

www.uscollectorsordnance.com/

Other places where I got parts was:

Fulton Armory
http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Also:
Amherst Depot
https://www.amherst-depot.com/Gunparts.AR15.htm

Steve
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where'd you get an A1 upper for $30? I'd jump on a couple of those. lol

For various parts, check ar15sport.com, they have a retro rifle section. If I had already ordered the A1 Parts kit that I plan to order, I'd offer to trade you buttstocks. It'll come with a Type E but I want a Type D. I may not wind up ordering the kit for a little while though. I do have a Type E with the trapdoor, but no butt plate. But the stock is cracked. I was thinking about repairing it at some point, but it's otherwise just sitting on a shelf.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: From late 1967 to 1982, the A1 birdcage FH was used.
View Quote
My A1s that I carried in the Army actually had the birdcage all the way into the early 90's. I was Signal Corps though, we didn't rate A2's lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The uppers I grabbed were part of some sale that popped up on here from Brownells IIRC.  They had original Colt BCGs and uppers.  I missed out on the BCG but picked up two uppers.  Pretty sure both are CH forge marked one in gray and one in black.  I am building the black one since the gray one is missing the door.

I guess I am building an A1 from 1974 and on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The uppers I grabbed were part of some sale that popped up on here from Brownells IIRC.  They had original Colt BCGs and uppers.  I missed out on the BCG but picked up two uppers.  Pretty sure both are CH forge marked one in gray and one in black.  I am building the black one since the gray one is missing the door.

I guess I am building an A1 from 1974 and on.
View Quote
You can get the dust cover, just don't install the barrel before you install that.

I already have my A1 built, but I have an A2 profile lower on it, so I'll be doing an 80% A1 lower for it at some point. I'll have it custom engraved with the proper markings for a Colt M16A1 and I'll use my Date of Entry into the Army as its serial number.

I just got my XM16E1 lower engraved by Braceman this past weekend, (and it looks great). I'll probably have it back sometime later this week. The only problem now, is finding someone to anodize it. Either that or wait until US Anodizing is doing 'little guy' work again. Of course, there's always Moly Resin, but I'd rather have it anodized.

AR15Sport.com has some Colt BCG's for $140.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Shit at $30 buck each, I would have bought every single one they had!

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shit at $30 buck each, I would have bought every single one they had!

View Quote
Going by his sales, I THINK someone here did . . . . . .
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The $30 uppers were from Sportsman Guide, they were Colt CH forge with sights FA and port door. They were beat up but it was a killer deal. I was able to snag 2 of them. They sold out in 1 hour. I think the member price came out to around $26 each. I still have the link bookmarked just in case they came back

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-6159032-11079827?sid=j30q7o3enm00zk8a012b1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmansguide.com%2Fproduct%2Findex%2Fstripped-upper-receiver%3Fi%3D651046%26p%3DWX2
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are the two I picked up.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you going to get them refinished, or do them more like battlefield pickup builds?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  Good catch.  Reminds me of the time several years ago when some guy had a box of uppers and was selling them on the EE in batches.  I think I bought at least a dozen, including my 601 upper.  Sure wish I had those now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you going to get them refinished, or do them more like battlefield pickup builds?
View Quote
Going to just put them together as is.  I've not into pretty military guns.  I like them with character.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually, from 1967-1970, the M16A1 had a D type stock (no trap door). The E type stock was not introduced until 1971. From late 1967 to 1982, the A1 birdcage FH was used. As far as upper receivers, from 1967-1971, the M16A1 used the same no-forge code uppers as the XM16E1. In 1972-1973, the uppers had CK forge codes and from 1974-82, they had CH forge codes. Some CM forge codes were used from 1972-73, but in very small numbers. Essentially, I would say what you build would be determined by what uppers you have.

I would advise calling Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) to see if he has any more E type stocks in inventory. If he still has any, they were priced at $15. If he has anymore receiver extensions, they were $20. Ask about the buffer, spring, and buttstock screw. Also ask about the M16 lower parts kits. They are original parts minus the auto-sear. They are $95.

BTW, you will need to change out the front sight post on the Brownells barrel to an A1 front sight post. Ask Slim about those too. BTW, they are open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-5pm (EST). Tell him that James sent you.
View Quote
I called today.  Slim was out.  They are also out of the type E stocks so I guess I'll have to use one of my earlier stocks till I find the right one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I called today.  Slim was out.  They are also out of the type E stocks so I guess I'll have to use one of my earlier stocks till I find the right one.
View Quote
AR15Sport.com has some in stock, though they're $129.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Going to just put them together as is.  I've not into pretty military guns.  I like them with character.
View Quote
I'll look forward to seeing some pictures, are you going to 'distress' the lower to match?

For me, I'd probably re-finish the upper. But only because if one of my sergeants (when I was in) ever saw my M-16 in that condition, either I'd be working 24/7 to clean it up or the rifle would end up being DX'd, and I'm trying to have my rifles in a similar condition to what I served with. But that's just me. I know some that want theirs to look brand new, as if just uncrated.

My M1 Garand has a brand new, CMP stock on it. It looks great, but I want an original stock with some 'character' to it. That's why I bought an M-14 surplus stock for my M1A, in fact.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I called them today too. I was trying to find out exactly what they have left. They are going to e-mail me a list of what is still available. The guy I talked to did say that Slim went home sick and that they are now out of E type stocks. He did mention you called.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll look forward to seeing some pictures, are you going to 'distress' the lower to match?

For me, I'd probably re-finish the upper. But only because if one of my sergeants (when I was in) ever saw my M-16 in that condition, either I'd be working 24/7 to clean it up or the rifle would end up being DX'd, and I'm trying to have my rifles in a similar condition to what I served with. But that's just me. I know some that want theirs to look brand new, as if just uncrated.

My M1 Garand has a brand new, CMP stock on it. It looks great, but I want an original stock with some 'character' to it. That's why I bought an M-14 surplus stock for my M1A, in fact.
View Quote
I placed my order for the other bits I needed to finally complete my A1 with Slim yesterday.  Of course I forgot about the gas tube again...

I did put the lower up against the upper and I may have to do some slight distressing as the lower is just too new looking.  I'll post some pics this weekend.  I just need to hunt down a green nylon sling and I'll be set.  I think I have a plain jane BCG floating around here somewhere.  I think it came with something else I ordered as a freebie.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I placed my order for the other bits I needed to finally complete my A1 with Slim yesterday.  Of course I forgot about the gas tube again...

I did put the lower up against the upper and I may have to do some slight distressing as the lower is just too new looking.  I'll post some pics this weekend.  I just need to hunt down a green nylon sling and I'll be set.  I think I have a plain jane BCG floating around here somewhere.  I think it came with something else I ordered as a freebie.
View Quote
I actually just received two OD slings from the CMP, today. One is for my M1A (dressed up as an M14) and the other is for my future XM16E1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#20]
So who is the go to guy for getting the Colt log engraved?  The local laser engraver is just too expensive. ($75 for SBR stuff and nearly $200 for Colt rollmark.).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So who is the go to guy for getting the Colt log engraved?  The local laser engraver is just too expensive. ($75 for SBR stuff and nearly $200 for Colt rollmark.).
View Quote
I just sent you an email. I'm very happy with the one that I had done.

Is your lower an 80%?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just sent you an email. I'm very happy with the one that I had done.

Is your lower an 80%?
View Quote
No it's not.  It's a McKay A1 lower.  Just want to get the Colt logo and the US Property markings done.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No it's not.  It's a McKay A1 lower.  Just want to get the Colt logo and the US Property markings done.
View Quote
Oh ok, I don't think he can do it if it's not an 80. You can double check to be sure though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Been a while but it's done.  Showed it to my father who was a Vietnam vet and hates guns and it was the first time I ever saw him sentimental about a firearm!

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Been a while but it's done.  Showed it to my father who was a Vietnam vet and hates guns and it was the first time I ever saw him sentimental about a firearm!

http://i.imgur.com/HPH0w6b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x1GpdNF.jpg
View Quote
Looks great!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Nicely done.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top