Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Has Mckay stepped up their game or are they still leaving tool marks from machining the A2 to A1 conversion?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I was one of the lucky ones to get an A1 lower from them a couple years ago in XM Gray. They had the hardest time trying to get the color right and they eventually sent a few to Victor at US Anodizing to be done. As far as the machining, the area around the receiver extension needed to be smoothed out a bit. I do hope these newer ones have had that taken care of.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
McKay makes a quality product. I have an A2 of theirs I got from NDS back in the day.  IMO they'd look a lot better if they just said:

RM16A1
CAL 5.56MM
(serial #)

And really there's no reason they couldn't mark them as M16A1.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I bough an XM A1 and an A2 about a year ago.  Both were excellent.  The McKay XM A1 was used on my first retro build.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish they were gray. And it said only one left when I just clicked that link. Someone better jump.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered one, can't wait to see it. I have re-profiled several, but this is my first time buying one that is already done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Almost got one in gray when they were in stock and had no luck finding an NDS.

Things that bugged me on it.

1.) Very noticeable lathe chatter marks on the buffer tube from when it was converted from A2 to A1.

2.) Right-side rear part of tube area has a 'line' of reinforcement, instead of being flush with the back.

I almost bought it, until I found a member here that had a new NDS for sale he didn't need.

If McKay fixed those two issues, I think they would have a better time selling them to the retro crowd, which would also lessen the long wait time from NDS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
$20 to ship wtf!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$20 to ship wtf!!
View Quote
Not an issue. They're already out of stock..
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was gonna buy one to anodize gray but f that $20 for shipping
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The MK12 and MK18 guys are buying A1 lowers now for their clones these days. That's both a good and bad thing, the few companies that offer these will produce more but the retro guys have more competition.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The MK12 and MK18 guys are buying A1 lowers now for their clones these days. That's both a good and bad thing, the few companies that offer these will produce more but the retro guys have more competition.
View Quote
I had no idea that there was a tacticool A1 variant!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Has Mckay stepped up their game or are they still leaving tool marks from machining the A2 to A1 conversion?
View Quote
Off their website.  Don't know if this is current offering.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Off their website.  Don't know if this is current offering.  

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/kanaka1000/blk_a1_lhs_-_1_zpsg2gd8mpp.jpg
View Quote
Some guys have posted up pics that bad or worse. I think I'll stick with NDS. If I ever dive in too deep I'll have braceman do up some 80%ers.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top