Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2017 12:36:55 PM EDT
Well, as the title says, I FINALLY scored a Retro Colt 601 alloy (aluminum) cleaning rod!! I have been trying to find one for over two years, and the ONLY one that I saw for sale was $300, which I thought was too steep.  I managed to buy this one on Gun Broker last week for a "buy it now" price of $50. I'm not going to post a link to the auction, because he has some other retro items that I am watching.  Luckily, it came with BOTH the patch tip, AND the correct copper brush.  However, it does have one problem - one of the two long sections of rod is missing, and I will probably never be able to find a single rod section (UNLESS someone here knows someone who has one - if you do, then PLEASE let me know).  Either way, for the price, I am quite happy with it, and now I have examples of ALL of the SEVEN models of Vietnam cleaning rods - (601 Alloy, M11, M11A1, M11A2, 1st model short, 2nd model short, and steel 601 variety).  Now the ONLY accessory that I need to find for my 601 is a Delft scope and Colt/Armalite scope mount. In the meantime I have a Colt Realist scope with inverted post which is also correct for the 601, but the Delft scope one day will be the proverbial "icing on the cake" for my 601 set-up. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad you found something you were looking for and I can appreciate collecting.

but don't expect me to get excited about an old cleaning rod
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad you found something you were looking for and I can appreciate collecting. but don't expect me to get excited about an old cleaning rod
View Quote
Exactly the way I feel about old pieces of cardboard (baseball cards) and many other collectibles - to each his own.  However, this IS the retro AR forum, so I thought some of my fellow retro AR collectors might appreciate my RETRO AR find. I also get excited about fat head firing pins (yeah, I know, just another $5 firing pin), and 601 rear sight wheels (I know, just another $10 sight wheel). Some people cannot understand our elation at finding original green handguards either.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Great score!

How do you know the inverted post colt scope is correct for the 601?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great score!
How do you know the inverted post colt scope is correct for the 601?
View Quote
According to many sources that I have seen, the inverted post Realist scope is the ONLY other compact scope (besides the Delft) procured by the US military for the AR family of weapons.  So, it could have been issued with a 601 that was still in use when the military obtained their Realist scopes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
cool score.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I prolly have one in my Nat'l Guard surplus cleaning box, full of such like.

Shoot me a e-mail.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How do I tell the difference, magnet?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How do I tell the difference, magnet?
View Quote
Kendall;

Your mailbox is full, but yes, a magnet will stick to all USGI cleaning rod sections except for the aluminum ones.  Also, the steel rods are parkerized, and the aluminum rods are black anodized.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, just deleted some.

Black will help.

Will check tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
M16Indiana I'm sure the missing section of the alloy rod will show up, it's only a matter of time, today or a year from now. Your early alloy set looks like new and the bore brush also, looks like the same number of rows of bristles as my NIW brush. Wasn't it about a month or so ago a member had photos of four or five sets of the alloy rods? I sent a message but never got a reply, checked EE but didn't see them listed for sale. Like you I'm a stickler for original parts/accessories, for me it's for my ArmaLite Costa Mesa and Howa AR-180 attempting to replicate the period accessories pictured in the AR-18 manual.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, NO aluminum found, so far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry, NO aluminum found, so far.
View Quote
Thanks for looking, but I doubted that you would find one on a military base.  The alloy rods have a different thread pitch than the steel rods and I'm sure that by now, even IF a military base once had them, they would have been discarded since they will not attach to modern rods. Hopefully, I will find one someday in a junk box at a gun show.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top